Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My son has an MSI Z270 motherboard (apologies in advance for red-on-black website). Am I right in thinking I can just get a Samsung 850 EVO and slap it in? I'm not interested in paying the price premium for NVMe. He's a gamer, and I'll be checking capacity with him.

E: And I'm planning on checking for Black Friday sales just in case.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Skandranon posted:

Are you looking at the SATA3 or M.2 variants?

I have read the OP, but I don't understand what the tradeoffs between the two are. If the drive has an M.2 slot but not NVMe, is there any point in paying the extra for the M.2 version?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Newegg's deal on the Samsung 850 EVO 500 MB has already sold out, but Amazon has it for $140 plus local taxes. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E500B-AM/dp/B00OBRE5UE/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If you are stuck with, or want to stick with, SATA then your options are numerous. Samsung EVO's are still great drives, but they're not really that much better than the competition anymore and they tend to be much more expensive.

Currently the ADATA SU800 is $50 on Rakuten.

I was going to ask for a gaming SSD for my birthday, but if this is a sensible drive, I may just pull the trigger right now. What would be reasons not to do this?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nah, it's an older mobo, no NVME.

Does the thread have a favorite OS-to-SSD cloning tool? I don't see it in the OP.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The thread header recommends the Samsung 850 EVO. I'm replacing the hard drive on my Dell G5 5590 with an SSD. Crucial's compatibility page recommends their Crucial P2 500GB PCIe M.2 2280 SSD, stats of 500GB M.2 SSD • PCIe NVMe Gen 3 • 2,300 MB/s Read, 940 MB/s Write

Is there a way to figure out what the equivalent Samsung 850 EVO is in form factor, or is it okay to just buy Crucial nowadays?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Klyith posted:

Thread recommended drives is quite old. Samsung drives are still quality but overpriced compared to competition.

If a 500gb drive is good enough space wise for you, the WD750 500gb is currently on sale at newegg and very good, slightly better than a P2. (A m.2 drive like that also don't have to replace the HDD -- you could have both. Though removing the spinny HDD will save battery.)

If you want a bigger drive & to replace the HDD, good 1tb sata drives are the WD Blue 3d or crucial MX500.
I'm a bit confused -- the laptop only has two slots, one with the OS on an SSD and the hard drive. Does an m.2 drive daisy chain with the existing hard drive?

How do I determine whether the WD750 will fit the laptop, or is the form factor extremely standard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Saukkis posted:

Crucial P1 and WD750 are both M.2 form factor NVMe drives, they are completely incompatible with harddrives. If you want to replace the harddrive , any 2.5" SATA SSD will do, like the Crucial MX500

Aha! So Crucial was actually recommending I use the P1 to replace the existing SSD, not to replace the hard drive. Light dawns, thank you. And it turns out replacing the SSD is actually my use case, now I sit back and think about it.