Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
I was helping my shithead brother set up his new POWERSPEC G700 and I was like "dude they didn't install that 480 SSD" until I realized there was a weird stick on the motherboard and I learned what M.2 drives were. So that's the level of expertise I am working with.

Here's the thing: This M.2 drive seems really slow. Aren't these things supposed to be on the PCI-E pipeline? When I poke around in device manager I see a lot of stuff about SCSI interfaces, which I took to mean SATA but what the gently caress do I know? I was doing 100 other things and didn't get the model # on it. I just know it's an Intel 480 gb.

I didn't have a lot of time last night over at his house to troubleshoot. I was setting up and formatting his other drives, one of which is an EVO 850 that has a warning about RAPID mode that I couldn't quite solve. Anyway, I had Magician installed so I ran a benchmark on the EVO and got something like 3-4K sequential read/write. I ran the Magician bench on the Intel and got something like 400 write/500 read. I probably should have used whatever third-party benchmark is standard but that seemed like quite a spread from the EVO.

I did a quick look into BIOS to see if there was some switch to flip between SATA and PCI-E but nothing jumped out at me and I had to get out of there because he didn't have any more beer. I know it's some ASUS B350-Plus motherboard.

Any ideas for the next time I go over there and drink all his beer and fine tune this POWERSPEC GAMIN' RIG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001

Fame Douglas posted:

m.2 drives can be either NVMe (PCIe) or SATA.

Ah. Well, I am learning a lot about M.2 drives and a little about myself over the past 24 hours. I guess this thing is fine. Mainly because I don't want to reinstall Windows on the EVO.

Now I just gotta figure out why Magician is bitching about Rapid mode compatibility. If I remember right the code was "VID 1002" which looks like it's some incompatibility with Ryzen.

One other thing, back when I was setting up my old EVO, the hivemind here said to install some Intel driver. I think it was Intel RST. Is that still kosher?

el_caballo fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 25, 2018

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001

nielsm posted:

Don't enable Rapid Mode, it doesn't help real-world performance, only benchmarks, and adds an increased risk of data-loss if the power goes.

The SSD world moves so fast. Time has passed me by.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Thanks dudes. Well, looks like I have to make some changes to my own settings too, then.