Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I have a 512gb Samsung 850 pro SSD that might be dead. The SSD failed to boot after several tries, and it is no longer recognized by any computer, either via SATA or USB enclosure. The SSD is not recognized in the BIOS, nor by Windows or other computers.

I tried different SATA cables on the same computer, different power cables, and even using USB enclosures to get the SSD recognized by different computers - not working in any scenario. Should I assume it is dead and have Samsung honor the 10 year warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I have a couple of Samsung NVMe drives. I did the overprovisioning with the Samsung Magician software and set it at 10% on both drives. With the overprovisioning, can I nearly fill the drives or do I still need to worry about not going over 70% capacity as in the earlier days of SSDs? There seems to be some conflicting information about this elsewhere.