Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

So I realized I needed an extra cord for installing the SSD for my laptop, but since I was gonna install Linux anyway I'm thinking about just installing that on it for now and transferring the windows install after.
For cloning, how does it work, and what application is there to use? As of right now I have a SSD, and a HDD. The HDD has a factory reset Windows install. The SSD will have a full linux install. Can I move /home over to the HHD and the core Windows install, minus user folders, over to the SSD easily? Will I have to reinstall Linux to make this work?

The free partition cloning tool I've used is Clonezilla. On the one hand, it's free and worked when I've used it. On the other, it's UI is... eccentric to say the least.

Moving Windows I'm not sure about (haven't run Windows outside of a VM in a decade), but moving Linux is a potentially weird issue. At the least, you're going to have to reconfigure the bootloader and probably the initramfs (the package of files your Linux Kernel needs to boot, including config files, utilities, and the big one, drivers) in the /boot/ directory (or EFI partition, that's distro dependant on if those are even separate) if you need new drivers for the drive. (Probably fine with a SATA drive, certainly not with an NVMe one). That's pretty distro dependant, so you'll need to look up instructions for that (most likely just run grub-mkconfig to regenerate the bootloader config once it's set up since you're likely using GRUB for a bootloader and then dracut/mkinitcpio or whatever your local equivalent is for initramfs). Oh, and UEFI might need to be pointed at the new drive. Reinstalling might honestly be the easier option if you're not especially wanting to dig around in the internals, especially since most app configuration in Linux is stored in /home and will carry over to a new install once you have your packages reinstalled.

Moving /home onto a new drive's a snap, especially if you have it on its own partition though. If you reinstall Linux, you might have one or two weird permission issues to sort out, but it's pretty straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

A relatively nontechnical friend of mine in terms of software is looking into getting an SSD (I recommended a Samsung 850 EVO). I'm nowhere near them in person and while they can certainly hook it up (they built the computer themselves) the OS transfer has me vaguely worried. As someone who hasn't run Windows on bare metal for a decade (Linux guy), I know nothing about transferring a Windows OS across drives for Windows 7 or such. Can I suggest they just use the Samsung migration tool, or is it better for them to do it manually with Clonezilla as mentioned on the first page? (I mostly think of the complicated part of leaving behind all the video files and such that aren't going to fit on the SSD being hard to do with Clonezilla.)

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Samsung migration tool, or Macrium Reflect Free. Is he getting and SSD the same size as his current OS drive?

It's smaller. He's going from like a 2 TB hard drive to a 500 GB SSD as the boot drive, and keeping the old hard drive in the case to store bulk data on.