Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What are the thread thoughts on the Tomshardward recommended SK Hynix drives? They seem to offer 850 Evo levels of performance with 60% of the warranty at 63% of the price currently. Not exactly a value proposition but it seems like a reasonable way to save a few bucks right now if the stats are accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is there anything stopping you from leaving the OS install on the current SSD and just using the new one as storage?

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

There are knockoff SSDs that are just USB sticks adapted to SATA inside an SSD housing. Dunno if it's a thing with M.2 drives yet.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

DrDork posted:

Other than that Optane is still stupid expensive, anyhow.

But, yeah, in case anyone was confused:
https://www.tomshardware.com/review...ata,4137-7.html

The 850 Pro is a SATA-based SSD, the SM951 is a AHCI-based M.2 SSD, and the SM951-NVMe is obviously a NVMe-based M.2 SSD. The NVMe drive is the clear winner at random 4k reads (and also everything else).

They don't really pull apart until you get to higher queue depths, which you aren't likely to run into in consumer workloads. You're not going to see a huge improvement in a home system.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

DrDork posted:

Yeah, if you're >32 queue depth as a normal consumer I have some questions for you. But the point is that NVMe certainly isn't slower than SATA: it's faster in literally every use case there is, even if it's sometimes not by a meaningful amount because utilization rates are too low to actually stress any portion of the storage subsystem.

For sure, though re-reading BIG HEADLINE'S post he was talking about early NVMe drives specifically (which I don't know anything about) and does state that NVMe is ahead of SATA now.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

teagone posted:

I'm looking to replace the 1TB spinner drive in my older gaming PC whose mainboard doesn't have any M.2 slots — the SSD I'm looking to add would 100% only be used for game installs; already have an SSD OS drive.

NVMe vs SATA is mostly academic for home use. Just go for it.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe - good drive for £110?

Not up on UK prices but assuming it's usually $ to £ on a 1 to 1 basis yes. It's a good drive. There are other equally good drives that are sometimes cheaper than the rocket but I can never remember which ones they are. Look at Stickman's posts in the part picking thread since he's the one who stays on top of all that. Wouldn't expect a hugely notable price difference though.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Need a ramcorder.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Considering you can get 1tb for ~$100, ~$200.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

NVMe is hot swappable?

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

The SSD companies seem to have gotten wise and decided their pricing needs to be updated; the Inland Premium 1 TB is now $129.99 (up from $99 and $109 previously) and all the other Phison OEM SSDs pricing seems to have mirrored the increases.

Increased prices for less DRAM but denser NAND. Sigh.

Despite this I think I'm going to wind up paying the $20 premium over a MX500 just to not have to add to the rats nest of cables in my case.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

It's strictly a write cache. Data gets stored in there very quickly and then written to the QLC cells at its actual, much slower rate. If you're not writing to it it's not getting used at all (besides whatever was last saved there).

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Sorry everyone, I need someone to talk to me like I'm a small child.

I recently bought a WD M.2. SSD to add to my system. My motherboard is an Asus Maximus Ranger VIII and I already have 2 SATA SSD drives in the Sata 1 and 2 slots. The manual says to me that if I put the M.2 drive into SATA mode then it will use the first 2 SATA slots. It is silent on what happens if its in PCIE mode. It is also silent on where these settings are.

Anyone know what my path forwards to turning the thing on is?

E: misread, is it an NVMe or SATA M.2 drive? If it's NVMe see below, if it's SATA just change which ports your existing drives are plugged into.

If it's in PCIe mode it won't gently caress with your SATA slots since it's not using them, and it should autoconfigure since it's an NVMe (which is PCIe) not a SATA drive.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

They're tricky little buggers. So worth it to ditch the two cables but why they've got the world's tiniest screw and only a half a screwhole I'll never know.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

I mean if it's not showing up at all a. check that the M.2 slot you have it in supports NVMe, some of them don't, and b. if you're sure it's in right and in the right slot and it's still not showing return it.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Ah, from the Asus page:

"1 x M.2 Socket 3, , with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)*1"

Probably not actually NVMe. And the BIOS only supports AHCI mode. Little unsure what 'PCIE mode' is supposed to be here but I'm content not to waste hours of my life on this.

e: I'm also content not to swapping out the sata controllers on my other hard drives to clear space for the M.2 sata interface given there's a great big graphics card that was hell to get into place blocking the way. It's an instalment on future PC.

NVMe is a spec for attaching storage over PCIe, NVMe and PCIe are the same thing for this purpose. The slot supports both NVMe and SATA drives, but it'll switch over depending on what kind of drive is put into it, an NVMe drive doesn't have the hardware to connect via SATA and vice versa.

Ultimately what I'm saying is don't get stuck with a DoA drive outside of your return window here.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Not unless there's something really weird going on. I haven't worked with a WD Black personally but I can't fathom why they would be any different.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Alchenar posted:

The plot thickens!

Bios can definitely see the drive and shows it as a viable boot option but it isn't appearing in windows: https://imgur.com/a/d2owz2d

Open up Disk Management and see if it shows up there, it probably just needs formatted / initialized.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

refleks posted:

Any benefit from having both M.2 drives in a PC be of the same manufacturer? I have a 520GB 960 EVO already as boot drive, and I want to buy another 2TB M.2 for picture editing and was just gonna buy a WD Blue

Nope, go for it.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Yes, but having 2 fewer cables, especially when one is a bigass PSU cable, is super nifty when building, and I barely even attempt cable management.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

refleks posted:

Sorry, should have been more specific. I was just talking about WD Blue M.2 vs. 2.5". They're both SATA so no difference.

M.2 means you have two less cables to deal with, but you have to gently caress with the tiny-rear end M.2 screw, and you have 1 less free M.2 slot if you ever think you're going to fill them all up and they all support NVMe, some motherboards don't in every slot.

That's the long and the short of the differences. They're the same drive (probably) with different physical connectors.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Do they really need held in at the furthest point? Like, it's more rigid, but you shouldn't be putting pressure on them anyways. Just put a latching push pin to line up with the nearest hole.

Probably significantly more expensive though, possibly even costing a cent or two each.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

When I helped my buddy build his computer we thought we were up poo poo creek for a good while because the screw was hiding very well amongst the paperwork. And, while this is partially the fault of my less than ideal case, getting the thing lined up was difficult. At least put something to close off the hole so it'll stay overtop.

Fair point about portables though.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

DrDork posted:

Just use some double-sided foam tape like you would on a 2.5"! Works fine!

Lol, you think I use tape?

E: Sorry, its hard to tell how big things are when phoneposting.

Some Goon fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 19, 2020

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

I paid $140 for an inland Premium late January, when they had been $110 two weeks prior. I'm sure corona doesn't help but SSD prices were already spiking.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Idk but back it up if you haven't.

I realized the other day that with all games loading from solid state memory, the new consoles are basically going back to cartridges. Yeah it's more of a inbuilt flash cart than a cartridge proper, but still amusing.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Almost Smart posted:

My gaming PC has an X570 motherboard and I was thinking of getting an NVMe drive to replace my SATA SSD. Is there anything out there now that will keep parity with what the PS5 and Xbox Series X will offer when they release, or is it better holding off for now? There's a 2TB Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 that supposedly boasts 5000 MB/s reads, but I'm not really familiar with that brand or how reliable they are.

Nobody knows what the new consoles are cooking up or what impact it will have on PCs, besides pre-release marketing, which is always best taken with a handful of salt. Mise hold off for now.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Kane posted:

Why is PCIE 4 exciting considering no SSD saturates even PCIE 3? Is it just hype/future-looking or am I missing something?

You can fit multiple NVMe drives on a card and have them all go full speed. If you're not in a position to be using PCIe cards to attach NVMe drives its really not.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

redeyes posted:

I think i saw a recent Linus video testing nvme vs sata drives loading games and the SATA drive won.

It was a perceptual test (which is what matters for the normal folks) but yes, they thought the SATA drive was the fastest, or maybe second place, its been a while since I watched it.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

redeyes posted:

I know but what the gently caress is the point of hiding a fake one in a fake cap. The mind boggles.

If you're making fake caps, you probably have other fake caps on hand?

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Have you check that it just hasn't come lose somehow? I'm not well versed in how SSDs fail, but in other devices I'd say that sounds like a flaky connection.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

More SD than SSD, but we don't have a removable media thread. My 3DS's SD card isn't recognized by it, nor my laptop's integrated reader, nor my external reader. It was a microcenter special and thus cheap as hell, but its only like 3 months old. The contacts are a little worn but they don't look dead to me and I gave it an iso and q-tip rubdown, nor have I ever seen an edge contact go completely. Before I write it off entirely, is there anything to try to see if I can recover it?

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

How do you check?

You look for reviews but he's not wrong. Cutting DRAM is it one of the few ways to manufacture an SSD more cheaply.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

If you're only concerned about casual drive salvage just gently caress up the SATA ports.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Tell me something about QLC drives in regards to reliability and total drive writes. My current SSDs are getting fuller and eventually I'm in need for more storage space. I was looking into something like a 4TB QLC drive to store crap like video files and other large stuff that wouldn't hurt that much to lose.

They're warranted for <1 drive write per day.

For storage they should be fine, it's not like you're going to fill it up and then overwrite all those files on a regular basis.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Err, what?

I have an 1.5 year old 1TB Samsung 970 Evo, and it has like 25TB.

My 4 year old 850 Evo, which mostly just worked as data storage since ever the 970 is my main drive, has like 35TB. Altho I'm fairly certain that stupid rear end SQLite bug in Spotify a long while ago is responsible for 2-3TB of it.

Both of them have been running nearly 24/7.

(I also have an older 840 Pro, but Magician says it's not supposed (anymore), so not sure how much that one racked up. It's just standing by with a spare Linux install.)

Yeah, write speeds aren't that important as standby storage. It'll work out I guess.

That seems excessive. Still, 25 TB over 1.5 years is still only 0.04 dwpd, so it's far far below the threshold of concern.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

What's the BoM cost on a SATA socket vs an M.2 socket?

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

NLJP posted:

List in first post for recommended brands still OK? Looking for a new sata sdd for a Windows drive. Consumer needs, some games.

Nah, Samsung is stupid overpriced. Main drive or secondary? WD Blue or Crucial MX 500 are fine 2.5" sata, QLC drives are cheaper per gb but not recommended for a main drive since performance super tanks when close to full.

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

I did some reading when they first made the changes and came to the conclusion of somewhat worse than was previously offered, but not meaningfully so. It wasn't the most in-depth search and it was months ago so don't take it as gospel. Unless they changed it again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Goon
Jan 6, 2013

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

brand-wise how is Crucial these days? Prime Day has a P5 NVMe up for $115 and I'm tempted to pull the trigger

Crucial is a good brand, just be sure if you're getting a QLC drive or not and that it's fit for your purpose if so.