Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
E: second guessing my posting location.
I'll take it over to haus of tech support.
Feel free to ignore me.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my samsung 850 evo. If i should take my question elsewhere, let me know!

Long story short: i replaced most of the components in my computer, saving my SSD boot drive and 3tb HDD. Parts listed below, you can click if you wanna read my longpost about it all.

So, everything worked fine until my 7 year old computer (i think it was the mobo that did it, it would crash at the bios screen) died.
Now that i have things up and running, my computer hits POST and has my 2 year old EVO selected as the boot drive, but then it goes to black screen and says i need to restart and select an actual boot drive.

I have an old, old WD hdd boot drive with a busted win7 boot, i plugged that one in and it boots as expected (expected: blue screen that says windows is busted).

Is my 850 evo also coincidentally busted?
Does it do this when changing hardware?
Do i need to actually buy an optical drive and reinstall? I'd like to not have to do that.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Jago posted:

It's not busted. Reinstall Windows.

Blah. I was taking that hard gamble that it'd just work. We'll see if windows will give me a copy of 10 with my old windows 7 activation. It ... should.

Ty all.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I upgraded from 2010 tech, so yeah. Reinstalled (getting the usb was an endeavor because they require you to have a windows operating system to ... download the windows operating system (not for boot camp). If i had a working copy of windows i wouldn't need to download windows, microsoft!) and it works. Ty for allaying my fears that my boot drive was dead, thread.

Ssds are cool. Keep on chugging ssd thread.