Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

What kind of question is that. Of course I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Games have been terrible on HDDs for a long time, I remember all the people complaining about multiple minutes of load times in Battlefield 4. Or all the individual textures and models loading in slowly in World of Warcraft.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

NihilCredo posted:

Multiplayer non-massive games are fine on HDDs. Loading the map in 2 seconds instead of 20 serves no purpose since the match won't start until everybody is ready anyway.

Depends. With Battlefield (which might be considered a massive game), for example, it works on a threshold-based system: As soon as enough people are loaded in, the match timer starts. Also, this won't help you with joining games in progress.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 7, 2018

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Do you have Windows 10 installed in UEFI mode (GPT partition scheme on your boot drive)?

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Yep, can confirm. I had two 840 Evo 1 TB (SATA and mSATA)

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Geemer posted:

Secure erase the SSDs, completely overwrite the HDDs.

Or just open the HDDs and use the platters as tiny mirrors to scare birds or something. Bonus: Get some strong magnets out of it as well.

ATA Secure Erase for both of them, HDDs support it as well.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Geemer posted:

I did not know that. Last time I read up on it I read that it bricked HDDs. But that's probably only for old ones, with newer ones supporting it. How would that differ from completely overwriting, though?

It ensures reserved/retired sectors are overwritten as well. Also, with newer drives, there's no guarantee the sector mapping the OS sees corresponds to the actual layout of the data on the drive (with Shingled Magnetic Recording, for example).

ATA Secure Erase doesn't brick drives. But if you remove power before the drive is finished secure erasing, you'll have to manually unlock it with an ATA command before it becomes operable again. That's probably where the "bricked" stories stem from.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Death to all m.2 SATA drives.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Both the 970 Evo and the 970 Pro are NVMe drives, guys.

Get the Evo, it's still faster than most SSD and blows away all SATA SSDs.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

isndl posted:

If you have one of the OEM 840 EVO drives that never got a firmware update for the read speed loss over time you could do defrags to mitigate that, though that is less defrag and more rewrite all your data periodically.

They released a special utility to mitigate the issue more effectively. Don't us a defragger.

Also, SSDs inherently don't profit from defragging. The sector alignment the OS sees doesn't correspond to the physical alignment of the sectors.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Oct 14, 2018

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

isndl posted:

Unless there was a later update to the utility that I missed, Samsung Magician doesn't recognize some OEM models as 840 EVO variants (PM851, I think it was?) and you're SOL.

Oh, that's too bad. I remember waiting a long time for the firmware update to my mSATA 840 Evo (had two of those drives, real POS).

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Stickman posted:

The benefit to gaming is pretty small right now - it's not even close to comparable to the spinny disk -> sdd move. NVMe being a good recommendation is more about falling prices and competition closing the price gap and future potential than about noticeable gains.

Of course once you start getting into other applications, it's a different story.

It also makes for a much neater build, no SATA & power cable to manage.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Macrium Reflect is well suited to this task.

Also, just when you think you've seen it all, you learn about the existence of SSD truthers.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 22, 2018

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

People also didn't know that reads would slow down to a crawl after a while. The 840 Evo was a terrible SSD even for its time.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

You can buy m.2 screw and offset sets on Amazon, might have the one you need.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Potato Salad posted:

guess whose clients almost exclusively use those drives

fffffffff_fffffffffff_fffffffffff

My assumption that TCG Opal/eDrive isn't trustworthy is the reason I'm using software-based Bitlocker instead of hardware-based Bitlocker. With modern CPUs that have AES acceleration, there's barely any performance difference (at least for my usage, your mileage may vary). And I don't have to rely on drive manufacturers implementing encryption correctly.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 6, 2018

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Potato Salad posted:

what, if you don't mind sharing, are you using to manage software bitlocker? I've never looked at non hardware bitlocker management

I'm not an IT professional, so I never had to solve that type of problem for my personal usage. Hope you find a workable solution.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

I was very annoyed with the whole 840 Evo situation because Samsung took forever to release the updated firmware for the mSATA version.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I thought the msata version was unaffected?

It was affected as well.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

I really regret buying that Swarovski bedazzled 840 Evo now.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

You could check the SMART data. Most likely, yes, it is dead.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

NVMe is faster than sata, a lot faster. But average desktop and gaming stuff is not constrained by the bandwidth limitations of sata so it's not really visible. During a level load a sata SSD can supply data fast enough that the game is spending more time waiting on the CPU and memory while setting up the geometry and stuff.

For now the performance advantage of NVMe is useful to people doing databases, high-end video editing, servers, etc.

While you're right and switching won't provide any appreciable benefit to the average gamer, the advantage of NVMe isn't just in throughput but also in the lower latency and higher queue depths the protocol provides.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

It was, my laptop was dog-slow accessing certain files for a while. Samsung took a looong time releasing the update for the mSATA version. But I don't expect them to repeat the mistake.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Intel SSD toolkit wonít let you secure erase a drive with partitions on it, and the ssd I want to wipe is the only one in the machine which I want to wipe before I sell it. Did deleting the partitions when I reformatted the machine do the trick or do I have to find another machine to put the drive into so I can secure wipe and reinstall Windows?

Boot from a Linux USB. If you want a graphical all-in-one solution (that's going to cost you $11), get Parted Magic: https://partedmagic.com/

Otherwise, get a Ubuntu ISO and look up how to secure erase (ATA or NVMe secure erase) from the command line.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

My moms after laptop died and I pulled the Corsair Force SSD out of it to pull photos etc off

Still works! Itís only 128GB but I can use it as a usb drive. Itís gotta be 6 years old?

I had three Corsair Force (2 80 GB and one 120 GB) die on me, and years ago. This is really surprising to me.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

A Raid 0 is the best backup.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

I've been trying to update Samsung Magician to the latest version for a few days now. Every time I try to download, I get the "daily download limit" message. Having a global limit on the number of allowed downloads per day is simply sad, especially for a company as big as Samsung.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

A default Windows 10 GPT partition layout has three partitions, a 500 MB Recovery partition, a 100 MB EFI partition and the main partition containing the installation. The page file lives on the main partition, the other partitions (Recovery, EFI) have nothing to do with it. Don't touch anything, everything is as expected.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Edit: Beaten like an old hard drive by newer SSDs.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

They absolutely do work in terms of allowing sustained load for longer before throttling sets in, but as a regular user you probably don't need them. They certainly aren't just a placebo.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Z-Bo posted:

Not sure if anyone has had this happen to them before, but I just got my QNAP today... with no remote, two screws missing, and both 4GB ram sticks gone

Thankfully I bought through Amazon which has GREAT customer service, and they processed the return no hassle. BUT I really wish the slimebag who clearly stole the memory and returned it would get caught.

There have even been reports of people buying newer Synology NAS boxes, swapping the internals with an older models they already own and then returning the product.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

eames posted:

Amazon germany has the 4TB 860 QVO up for preorder at 345Ä, not a bad price for fast bulk storage. The 860 is 845Ä.

Seems to have been a pricing error - it's now 310Ä for 2 TB and 620Ä for 4 TB. Prices will probably fall closer to/after release, but at this point in time, the Crucial MX500 2 TB is a much better deal.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

oohhboy posted:

Either connection should work just fine. Magician/migration is fool proof. Just make sure you download it on the first go otherwise you have to go hunting, for some reason Samsung has a download limit.

They tend to instate a daily download limit for a while after a new version has been released. The previous version is always available unlimited on the overview page.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

franchise1 posted:

Imagine going from Buy.com and Play.com to using Rakuten.com instead. There is probably a good reason behind it but I don't know.

Generic domain names like "Buy" and "Play" make people suspicious of the service being a scam. And the very 90s idea of "people will simply enter buy.com if they want to buy something!" never worked out. Also: Probably impossible to trademark.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Wow. My trigger finger was getting a bit itchy when NVMe drives were hitting sub-$140 prices for a 1TB drive around Christmas, but I figured I'd hold off in hopes of things heading lower. Looks like I'll likely get my wish. Looking forward to still paying a $50 premium to jump from 32GB to 64GB in a smartphone

If you want to have a laugh, take a gander at the Mac threads where people are discussing whether 128 GB are enough because of Apple's extortionate SSD pricing.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

If maximum speed is a concern, be on the lookout for USB 3.1 Gen 2 (USB 3.1 Gen 1 is USB 3.0 renamed for marketing reasons). But a 3.0/3.1 Gen 1 enclosure will be plenty fast for most uses. There are also enclosures with USB-C and 3.1 Gen 2. Also, like the person before me said, UASP is a must.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 23, 2019

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

DrDork posted:

In many cases they are, though? While there are certainly exceptions, and games which do benefit heavily from SSDs, in many cases you're only getting a bit faster initial boot times, and then no real benefit, because the games were written with a PS4/XBox in mind, and thus are structured around the assumption that they need to pre-fetch and cache heavily to deal with the lovely laptop HDDs in those systems.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I bought a 1TB SSD explicitly so I could sit all my games and everything else other than movies on it and reap whatever benefits--minimal as they may be at times--I could from it, but if it's a question of "I only have a 250GB drive, what do I jettison first?" the answer is Media > Games > everything else.

You're getting way faster load times with SSDs, the difference is very significant (with Battlefield V, you're looking at multiple minutes of loading with an HDD). Even on PS4/Xbonx (have an internal Crucial MX500 in mine), the difference is pretty noticeable, although way less pronounced than on PC.

SSDs are pretty cheap these days.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

DrDork posted:

basically any MMO

I remember switching to an SSD back in 2010 (a Corsair Force 120 - real piece of poo poo, had three of those die on me!). I was a World of Warcraft player back then - after login in a crowded area like the capital city of Orgrimmar, all the items people wore, pets running around etc. would slowly stream in with an HDD. After switching to my SSD, everything was visible pretty much immediately.

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Atomizer posted:

Oh I agree, I was just unaware that some(?) current consoles were limited to SATA 2. Presumably the latest PS4 Pro, XboneX use SATA3?

And I'd definitely rather have an SSD over an HDD even on SATA2, it's just even more of a bottleneck (to sequentials at least) than SATA3. If anything, it puts the choice of a SSD upgrade into perspective; might as well put a cheap DRAMless drive in there rather than a nice Evo or MX500, for example, if your PS4 is going to be choking it over SATA2.

Both PS4 Pro and Xbonx are still limited to SATA2. There were some rumors of SATA3 support for Xbonx before launch, but those were false.

With the Xbonx, there's an additional huge benefit to switching the internal to an SSD: The OS chugs severely running from the original HDD. Much smoother since putting the MX500 in there. The PS4 Pro OS is faster as well, but never stuttered as much when running from HDD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 14, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Rib

Max Wilco posted:

So what specs would I need to post to determine whether or not I can add another SSD? Can I just post the motherboard I use (ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-A-USB31), or will I need to physically open up the computer and check to see if there are additional connections for it?

That board has four SATA connectors as well as one M.2 NVMe connector, so you're good for a total of four SATA drives and one NVMe drive (M-Key, 2260 and 2280).

Note that you need to change a UEFI setting to make the M.2 slot work at full speed: You need to set "PCI Express Slot and M.2 Bandwidth" to "M.2 Mode". This will disable the topmost PCI-E-Slot (the one above the graphics card slot you're probably not using anyways).

Lambert fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 25, 2019