Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Apple could go with an m.2 NVMe format, if expandability were one of their design goals even while using their own in-house controller.

EoRaptor posted:

and there are a number of standards to let the operating system take advantage of that, eg: bitlocker can use the SSD controller for encryption.

TCG Opal/eDrive is that standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
In the end, it doesn't matter: Not going with m.2 was a design decision, because they didn't deem replaceability necessary. They could roll their own crypto either way.

But Apple doesn't have the greatest track record with file system encryption, either.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 22, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ilkhan posted:

What's the current hotness for a dedicated Linux boot drive? Only need 128-256GB, already have a WD black as the windows boot and a 1TB sabrent (?) Rocket as the dedicated games drive. Would like to keep it nvme just to be completely sata free. Thinking WD blue, but is there something meaningfully better?

Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
HP EX920

The WD Blue is a very low-end design that doesn't have DRAM, so only buy it if you can get it for cheap.

Klyith posted:

WB Blue is a sata drive in the M.2 form factor. Do you actually care about nvme vs sata, or are you just looking for a thing that doesn't have wires?

For a tiny 128-256 GB drive, I might think about poking around s-mart and buying one used from someone, particularly if they can tell you how hard it's been used (total TB written). Buying new at that size is kinda pointless because they're basically the same price as a 500GB.

The current version is NVMe based.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Something like the Samsung 850 EVO, for example.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

Crucial, SanDisk, Samsung...$5-600 though

If American prices were similar to European prices, the 850 Evo was around ~$330 in 2015.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Adata is very much fine, no reason to avoid them.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Malcolm XML posted:

FWIW 660p is good enough for 99% of uses that don't require high reliability/durability -- mezzanine tier backup/offload, day-to-day use as long as you aren't running a database on it

For <$50 more TLC isn't bad, but for anything a normal consumer would do the 660p is fine. Great for a secondary game drive

I have a 2 TB 660p as a game drive, it's great for that use. And a Adata SX8200 Pro for my OS.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shaocaholica posted:

I lost a 2TB MX500 out in the field in an external enclosure with my name and phone number. Let’s see if it turns up.

Are you Jenny, 8675309?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, when installing fresh, disable CSM/Legacy BIOS emulation in your BIOS. That way, Windows will install in UEFI mode (faster boot times). This will also prevent the bootloader from ending up on the wrong drive.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Volguus posted:

When I disable CSM (go full UEFI) on my motherboard, it will not turn on the monitors (they say no signal) until I boot into an OS. No idea what's the deal here, maybe old video card (970GTX), maybe it has trouble with 2 DisplayPort connected monitors, or maybe the MB firmware itself is lovely. My MB is MSI x299 raider.

Pretty weird, probably down to the motherboard. Maybe look for an option to manually select a video output for boot, maybe it's forced to the motherboard's video output for some reason? The GTX 970 should have no issue with UEFI boot, at least the GTX 980 Ti I used to have worked just fine. I had the same configuration, with two DisplayPort monitors connected.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The only thing that's potentially advisable is installing the NVMe driver, but Corsair simply uses the generic one that comes with Windows. So no need to do anything.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Realtek's lovely audio drivers that cause problems with regularity are punishment enough, they should stop it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
QLC NAND is extremely slow, which you'll definitely notice whenever the cache is full. It's why really cheap 2 TB drives like the Intel 660p (70 GB cache) are only recommended as secondary game drives, not primary drives. QLC also has pretty bad endurance compared to TLC drives.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

namlosh posted:

Enter powershell: start a new admin powershell console and put this in:
shutdown /r /fw /t 0

This reboots immediately into the bios/UEFI where I can choose the override if I want.

There's a direct way to do this. You can select another UEFI device to boot from directly in Advanced Startup while Windows is running as well as go to the BIOS menu through it.

To access Advanced Startup for rebooting, hold down Shift while clicking the "Restart" button and then select "Use a device".

To access the BIOS menu, select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> UEFI Firmware Settings.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Geemer posted:

Stop using Norton Ghost from 1999, then.

Not going to lie, this brought up a nice flash of nostalgia

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

dragon enthusiast posted:

I'm just trying to get a 1TB SSD into my PC before the supposed price hike, and that one happened to be cheaper than the normal SATA drives for reasons I haven't figured out yet.

An HP EX920 (it's an NVMe drive) would be a way better choice at this price range.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That hasn't been true in years.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Would either of these be a good choice for a NAS? Plugged in by USB into my router, needs to be 750GB or greater, and 2.5" SATA. Whatever can deal with being up 24/7.

Yep. The MX500 even has power-loss protection.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Considering it has been deprecated since 2011, probably. Something like gparted does everything Partition Magic did in terms of partitioning better, and for imaging Macrium Reflect is the go-to.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Windows used to have (and still has, but it's deprecated) Windows Backup. It can be used for imaging purposes, there are even third-party interfaces for it. But really, why bother.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

oohhboy posted:

??? Time Machine has saved me a lot of trouble many times whether it be a full restore, reversion, migration or file recovery.

Time Machine backups self-destructing is a pretty common complaint, it is a pretty unreliable backup solution.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I haven't backed up any of my systems in a long time. All my files are on OneDrive and a NAS, should any of my computers fail, I'll just set it (or a new system) up fresh. Don't want all the applications I've installed over the years and will never use again anyways.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
If you're running in UEFI mode, there's no need to worry about this.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
A 2 TB 660p has about 70 GB of SLC cache, so when used as a secondary game drive, you will only hit the limit while installing games.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Encrypted posted:

Yeah those 10Gbps connections is really taxing on the system.

The drive can clear around 175MB/s of qlc write speed when the cache is exhausted. So it should easily handle game installations from a gigabit connection even if your drive is full, without utilizing the cache at all.

According to some benchmarks, it drops down to about 60-70 MB/s - others have it in the 150 MB/s range when full. So it's very much possible to notice with Gigabit connections if 60-70 MB/s are true, but it doesn't really matter either way.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 31, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That's nonsense, those have TLC NAND that will last for many years. If you want to see the health of your SSD, download Samsung Magician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Some motherboards (supermicros but usually the more workstationy ones) have a clever plastic clip thing where a plug on a short attachment slots in to retain the m.2, it’s very clever and makes installing them super easy and I wish all manufacturers would adopt something like that.

Lenovo Thinkcentre PCs have a plastic clip as well.