Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Just a quick trip report on that Intel 600p (512GB).

I put it into a system built for a buddy, i76600, 16 GB. It installed windows, booted and browsed the web faster than anything I've seen before. This is coming from Samsung 840 SATA drives. I suspect that even though the drive is pretty much the slowest nvme out there. I think as an OS drive it's actually in a pretty good niche. Being Intel it should hopefully be reliable and well supported. The price jump from it to the Samsung stuff is just so big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

I've been building an expensive system for a co-worker, I told him to buy either an Intel 600p or a Samsung 960 nvme drive. Explained that the 600p is the slowest nvme but is p cheap compared to the expensive Samsung. He went with the 1TB 600p. It has a 32GB cache which seems so crazy. Point is, I can't find any benchmarks for the 1TB version of the drive. Has anyone seen a review or benched their own? Just curious, really.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Welp... I have benchmarks for the intel 600p 1TB.

This is on a Z270 board with a 7700K. I'm pretty sure I have all the relevant drivers and whatnot installed. I can do another test if people are interested. I'll have the thing for at least another 24 hours.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Easier than signing into my accounts on a system that isn't mine.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

It's not busted. Reinstall Windows.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Installing the games to it is the least helpful way to go. Clone your OS to the SSD with Macrium or the Samsung migration tool. It will help games load a bit faster but that is a secondary consideration.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

I just find it funny that everyone used to say Intel SSDs where a good bet.. Yet that is the only SSD brand I've ever had fail.

While the fleet of cheap random SSDs from Kingston, ADATA, Crucial, OCZ, etc... have kept right on trucking for far longer than the Intel SSDs.

Your sample size is insignificant.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

I think you have it about right.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Just caught an article on these cheap, extra small nvme drives. Is there any notable hardware that only have the short form m.2 slots?

https://amp.tomshardware.com/news/t...-ssd,37284.html

Toshiba RC100 M.2 2242 480GB NVMe PCIe 3.0 x2 64-layer 3D BiCS TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) THN-RC10Z4800G8 , https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...Item=20-168-037

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Maybe take a picture of what you are plugging into whatever else.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

wait huh?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

Looks like a lot of people are reporting those SX6000 drives fail after a while so I'm aiming a bit higher. Anyone used the HP EX900/920 series? Or should I just suck it up and buy a 960/970 Evo?

No probs with my HP 1tb NVME. It's only been three weeks though.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

My eyes literally rolled out of my head.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Macrium reflect, I think will do that. Whatever software that comes with the drive may as well.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

I like it! It reviewed alright too!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Tariffs going to run any Chinese sourced ones up 15-25% any time now. Others could also increase, but balance that with flash prices coming down.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Yeah, they're great, actually on the expensive/fancy side.

You should use the enclosure that all the xbox nerds say works.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

makere posted:

I used to run 120GB SSD as a dedicated Windows drive, would have to do clean up monthly and barely had any space left. With 250GB you will have a much nicer life with less time spent on managing free space (how cheap is your time?)

I currently run a win 10 machine on a 32gb drive. Sometimes I have to plug in an external to do an update, but it works. It runs torrents, chrome printing and ubiquiti software.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Change the OP to "THEY ARE MORE RELIABLE THAN HARD DRIVES- ALSO BACK UP YOUR poo poo IN THE FIRST PLACE"

The first half might actually be a decent idea.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

I wouldn't feel good putting such a small drive in someone's system, but the brand/model will be fine.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Win 7? Lol, update to win 10.

Run the Windows experience thing and make sure defragging is turned off.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

gently caress.... I'll have to deal with this microscopic 1TB drive for a while longer though...

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Try a new cable on that ssd. Sure does sound dead though.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

I don't know why I help so much. Is this the right laptop?
https://www.laptopmain.com/msi-ge62...pgrade-options/

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Until the production breaks kick in. It's like trying to bet on exactly when the market bottoms out. You should feel good that prices are half of what we paid 6 months ago.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

You don't need NVME. However, it shouldn't be any more difficult to port Windows to it, or get it working. Twice as much money is a big ask, but a cheaper NVME per gigabit will still be faster than a SATA drive. I've only ever seen NVME eat SATA slots, so not a big deal there either.

Edit: the biggest place NVME would make a difference is on the boot drive, so if you have a pcie SSD, don't worry about it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Blah blah, even the 840 wasn't really a problem!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Wow, you're wrong. That's a lot of writes. If you don't know if you'll wear out your drive quickly, you probably won't. Have backups no matter what your storage type.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

As far as backups, crashplan and backblaze both have affordable online backups with unlimited* storage.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Did Crashplan stop with consumer plans? News to me.

Lambert, I hope you are trolling.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Yeah, shows where the gap between NVME and SATA prices are going. It's all the controller, there's not much miniaturization going on.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Your biggest fastest drive should be your boot drive. Throw the 128 gb in the trash. I have simplified your issue.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Disagreed. Your fastest drive should be your boot drive. Everything should be backed up anyway, so why worry about running out of space?

RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Heatsinks on ssds are placebo.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

In the same topic that people are advised that NVME is a waste of money because no one needs the speed and you can't tell the difference, we're talking about putting aftermarket heat sinks on ssds to improve their benchmark performance. Got it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

I'm with you there!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

The fact that you (probably) won't notice a performance difference doesn't mean the cooling effect is "placebo". If there's a measurable, repeatable difference that's outside of margin of error, that's surely beyond the definition of 'placebo'.

We already established my incorrect usage of placebo.

My point is that most setups won't ever put the type of sustained load required to overheat the controller. Also, that Puget systems article showed that hitting them with a bit of air is even more effective. Glue a fan to your m.2 device if you are serious about real performance.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

I didn't read that whole post, dude. No one needs a how to for running NVME on an obsolete OS. You could have done an in place upgrade in 20 minutes, come on.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

Looks like one of the cheaper performance models is getting pretty close to maxing out the interface. Prices and capacity only get better from here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

A Very Useful Person

Fun Shoe

I use FuzeDrive for my 1tb nvme and my 512MB SATA SSD. I seriously DOUBT it's faster at all, but it's nice to just have one big block of storage that I can add to JBOD style. The software is also supposed to move more commonly used items to the faster device, but whatever. As far as reliability, who cares? I have my poo poo backed up.

https://www.enmotus.com/fuzedrive