Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think my Intel SSD system drive had a stroke last night and died traumatically. I am trying to figure what I might be able to do to salvage anything from it. I moved most of my crap off of it when I got a larger spare, but there's always some loose ends.

I determined this after finding the system could boot fine to a Hiren boot CD if I unplugged that drive. If I had it connected, all boot options disabled, and manually started the Hiren boot, I'd eventually be stuck with the Win10 logo and spinny balls.

I normally would expect to come up in a rescue OS and yell at the drive unsuccessfully instead of failing to boot a rescue OS with it connect at all. A memtest boot worked. The next think I am trying is a Linux-based rescue of some kind.

Is there something I should try in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I got this drive back up but it's on borrowed time. I'm updating backups right now.

It looks like any Windows boot with the drive as a secondary would eventually clear, but it would take a very long time. This happened with Hiren's WinPE image as well as a regular boot off of my wife's computer. When it finally let me in, it was just painfully slow to work with. It's like Windows was just constantly polling the drive and failing at it.

I eventually used an Ubuntu 20.04 live USB image to install Intel's command-line diagnostic tools. I couldn't get the Windows one to completely open up when I had the clunker drive attached. The Linux one thought the drive was 99% healthy. So I updated the firmware and it started... mostly behaving.

I'm noticing now that it's all jittery in explorer and every strange. I already had one crash to desktop while trying to stage a bulk transfer to one of my other drives. When I ran the GUI application on my own setup, the full scan found a problem. So this drive is certifiably failing.

What is the thread's consensus on Intel SSDs anyways? This is something like the second one in five years that's hosed up kind of like this. I see a really favorable consensus online elsewhere but I'm not really seeing it. I particularly don't like the support. In the past when I've had drives fail within their warranty period, I'd get an RMA for a spare drive that I could migrate towards before returning the clunker. Intel's customer service insisted I send the drive back first.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Wow I feel really old now. I remember back when drives used to spin that was the normal thing. I ordered a Samsung EVO. I am of the feeling that when every person is born, they have a certain hard disk manufacturer ingrained into their DNA that won't work for them. For me that's Western Digital. I've had those explode in my hands. That was forever ago though but the EVO had a decent price point and I could get it in a decent enough time span that I can start reinstalling Windows onto it.

(the drive start making GBS threads itself hard while booted into it so I've been salvaging data now from an Ubuntu Live CD).