Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Also, if I were you, I would maybe get either the Samsung or the SanDisk models as some folks have run into issues with upgrading their BootROM / firmware with no-names.

Thanks for posting this because I would have walked right into that one on a 2011 MBP I'm planning on taking on freshenning up. May have put the bill up a bit as I was targetting some of the AData SSDs I've seen discussed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

If you still have the original Apple issued hard drive it's not an issue, just keep it around as Apple will allow BootROM updates from that.

Well I might but it's in my home server now living out its golden years. I'll just grab one of the known brands you listed.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Folks, did I gently caress up? I ordered two Silicon Power A58s, one 512gb and one 256gb. The 512gb might become my unraid cache (primarily used to hold downloads during their first day before being moved to the array of spinning disks, and my dockered app's data, also some VM vhd usage), the 256gb will be used to recondition a laptop into a CloudReady Chromebook.

However, any and every drive has horror stories out there. Reading this thread though, I've seen they might contain generally disliked controllers?

Let me know quick as I can cancel the orders and hunt more.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

redeyes posted:

There is zero chance I would use either of those SSDs for a cache drive assuming that cache is important. I'd try and get a Samsung I think.

It's not outright vital stuff but I'd rather it didn't fail at a bad moment (convienence, not data loss reason).

I've switched that for the AData SU800 512gb.

EDIT: But could change back.