Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I've just bought a new system to upgrade my ancient Q6600-based PC. I was intending to use current storage (old crucial sata SSD boot drive, mixture of sata and ide bulk storage) for the time being and grab an M.2 later in the year but with Nand prices looking like they might rise i figure it might make sense to get it now. I'm looking at 1TB drives, but wondered if there's a real difference between drives like the Rocket Q/WD Blue/Crucial P1/Intel 660/Adata SX6000 and the more expensive drives like the Rocket/Black/MP510/SX8200 etc? As a comparison a Rocket Q is £100 vs a Rocket at £120, with the rest being more in either bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Bob Morales posted:

The biggest difference is drives like the WD Blue are m.2 interface but are actually SATA drives

So you will max out at 550MB/s

The Intel 660p is a PCIe drive so you can get peak speeds of say 1,800MB/s, but sustained write performance won't quite match up with more expensive drives lik the Samsung Pros or WD Blacks

Then, the ADATA SX6000 will come up short in benchmarks against say, the ADATA SX8200, but in day to dayuse you might not realyl notice a difference.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/294767-at-a-glance-adata-xpg-sx6000-pro-review

Ah sorry, i meant the Blue SN550, the nvme one. I think the rest are all nvme. Thanks for the SX6000 link, although those are more expensive than the full featured Rocket.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

DrDork posted:

If £20 is important to you, and you were living with a Q6600 for this long, the performance difference probably isn't something to worry about.

If £20 is ignorable to you, I'd vote for the 8200 Pro or similar and remove storage as any sort of potential bottleneck for the next decade.

I'm happy to pay the extra £20 as long as there's an actual, noticeable benefit, but if an SN550 or whatever is so fast already that i won't be able to notice the difference then i'm happy with the cheaper option.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm still running an MSI P965 Platinum with Windows 10 on it and it's fine given how old it is.