Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Life comes at you fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

One of the companies I help with IT matters are looking to upgrade their workstations and it's infuriating to me that Dell won't let me swap SSDs in a lot of their base configs. It would make such a big difference in their day to day use.

She's also vehemently against macs which would simplify this.

If I'm missing something here, please feel free to call me an idiot and point me in the right direction. I haven't dealt with PC oems in a while since my company went all Mac.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

An old ssd from 2009 would make a non ssd system feel like it had a massive upgrade. They make normal disks feel like tape.

Amen. Tried upgrading an old iMac with a 5400rpm spinny drive yesterday to High Sierra and it poo poo all over itself and hosed the install after freezing for ~4 hours. Before that, waking the thing up was a loving nightmare.At some point I'm going to have to pry the drat thing open and put in a SSD but I'm waiting for 1TB drive prices to drop.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ok, I've got a weird one here.

I picked up an ASRock Rack x470d4u motherboard for my home NAS/VMhost/PlexServer/whatever.

It has 2 m.2 slots on board with the following config:

Slot1: PCIe2.0x4
Slot2: PCIe3.0x2/SATA3

So that's a kind of bizarre as hell setup. MY idea is to populate both slots with 2 matching m.2 SSDs. Is this even possible? I honestly don't give a poo poo about how fast they are, or if they're the latest PCIe generation.

I want to put them in a RAID1 BTRFS config to be used as a cache drive for the main HD array (this is a feature of Unraid).

Apparently the x16 slot can be bifurcated to 4/4/4/4 enabling me to get something like this which I can slot up to 4 M.2s into but at this point I'd rather not add the extra 50$ (maybe later I'd add it for VMs only).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

priznat posted:

Yeah you can definitely use the onboard, with either two pcie/nvme drives or one pcie and one sata. You will not be getting the max throughput of the drives (which are usually x4 pcie 3.0) but if that doesn’t matter no worries. They’ll both be running at half their maximum speed.

The slot adapter option could be something for a later upgrade!

Ok, great, so next question.

On Unraid, the cache usually gets a lot of writes, obviously I'm not going to spend enterprise money for MAXIMUM durability! But what should I look out for here? I feel like a pair of 500GB drives will do me fine.

Just 2 standard Crucial NVME drives? I say Crucial because they are usually pretty decent when you're not trying to min/max performance and just need reliability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Fantastic, thank you both for the info. I'll grab 2 of the WD SN550s and be done with it. Frees up 2 SATA ports woohoo!