Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Ask us if you aren’t sure what an M.2 slot on a specific motherboard supports. If you’re getting a PCIe SSD, make sure you have a wide enough slot and enough lanes available.
It has been mentioned before: make goddamn sure you have the right form factor for NVMe on your motherboard and solid state drive.

So before I run out and buy an Intel 600p from Microcenter, would it be compatible with my motherboard? It's a Asus Z97I-PLUS, and all the documentation says that it supports M.2 and runs over PCIe. The 256GB model is "on sale" for $99, but I want to make sure that it will be fine because the port is on the underside of the motherboard so I'll have to take apart my whole computer to install it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

I have a Asus Z97i-Plus (it's mini ITX right?) and the problem with that specific motherboard's m.2 slot is that it's quite limited in PCI-e lanes (2 of them), so you won't get even close to the full benefit of an NVMe SSD when it comes to sustained reads / writes. Personally, I'd look for a SATA m.2 SSD to save some money or if performance is that big of a deal go with a different motherboard entirely. I'm looking to turn the machine into a Hackintosh and may stick with a SATA based SSD just for that anyway given NVMe SSD compatibility on OS X is not perfect.

https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/m.2-ngff-ssd-compatibility-list/189

WELP. I ended up getting the 600p anyways because it was on sale at Microcenter for $90 for the 256GB model. Replacing the mobo is out of the question for now, so I'll just live with the lower speeds until I upgrade in the future.

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 14, 2016