Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

thebigcow posted:

Amazon is taking pre-orders for the 960 EVO, claiming a release date of December 11.

I gave up on waiting and ordered the 950 Pro some time ago. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I just got my NVMe disk installed.

HOLY MOLY; its mostly innocuous so far, but little things are just _so_ responsive its ridiculous.

Funny as it is, based on what I do all the time, the most noticable change is in the time it takes to open a PowerShell prompt and have it be fully loaded and responsive. Previously 3-4seconds; now instant. Is that going to save me the time to justify the cost ever? Nope. But its fuckin sweet.

I am pleased. I'm playing this fun game of "what should I keep on the NVMe disk; and what should live on the 850 Pro as a scratch disk" - namely trying to cherry pick VMs I want to by hyper responsive.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Newegg has the 512GB 600p for $169.99 today: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167412

$15 cheaper than Amazon for the same reseller retail pack.

Dang that makes me want to grab a second nvme disk

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Just moved a failed experiment with a FusionIO drive to my desktop.

1.2tb of :rice: for all my VMs.

R:

W:

This is just acting as a VM store in addition to a 950 Pro NVMe boot disk.

Pretty sure I'm good on storage these days.

Enterprise storage is p cool

Walked fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 11, 2017

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

priznat posted:

Anyone get an Intel 900p yet? Getting some of those and a couple of the x8 HGST SN260s for system testing, curious to see how they go.

SN260 gets 6.2 GB/s reads apparently :getin:

Yeah. I picked up a 480gb 900p

Drive is stellar. I do a lot of VMs and development work and it is goddamn great.

Raw read-only/write-only throughput is on par with NVMe but in mixed workloads it shines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

priznat posted:

I am curious, do you use it for VM image storage? I run some lab servers with some minor vms (ubuntu/win server 2016) for misc tasks (using hyper-v) and am curious if staging the images on that would really speed it up.

I do run a number of VMware Workstation VMs off it (some running nearly fulltime; others periodically). They are lightning fast.

That said; if it weren't my primary desktop (I have a few lab servers as well), I'd have a hard time advocating for it as a worthwhile expense. I was only able to justify it between selling off the Star Citizen code on eBay + writing off the card as a business expense.

It's slick as poo poo; but its in direct conflict with the 80/20 rule and something I'd be somewhat hesitant to recommend unless you make money on the computer, have a direct need for this sort of performance, and/or convince someone else to cover the cost.