Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is this the thread for HDDs as well? :confused:

I need a recommendation for a 1 TB SSD (or 1.5 TB if possible) and a 6/8 TB storage drive.

Speed is somewhat important for the SSD as I'll use it for OS and games.

Stability/low failure rate/lifetime is more important for the HDD. It'll be a pure storage unit but it should be able to process huge torrents at 35mbyte/s download speed without any delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Sorry guys, I'm confused with all these terms.

NAS? SMR? CMR? Easystores?

I intend to be filling up the storage hdd as much as possible and often deleting and writing new stuff to it. 5400 rpm should be fine in terms of sacrificing some performance for lifetime.

Klyith posted:

but with consoles now having very fast NVMe storage it's a good bet for the future. And these drives are only $10-20 more than sata SSDs.

You mean games will get coded in ways that take advantage of the extra potential bandwidth from NVMe from now on?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Storage: Western Digital Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($145.99 @ Amazon)

So this is the storage hdd I'm going for unless someone has a better alternative

I had decided on an Adata xpg8200 1tb SSD. But someone in the build thread had this to say about it:

"SSD: that ADATA drive used to have a faster controller in it but it doesn't anymore. It's still a perfectly good drive but it's really competing more in the $100 segment now, so you might as well go with a drive that costs that much like the thread favorite WD SN550."

I can get a Kingston A2000 M.2 1TB for $40 less

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 8, 2021

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
It's a moot point in my case anyway as I can only see crappy MyBooks for sale here.

I'm gonna go for the cheapest possible m.2 nvme ssd option at 1tb, the Kingston A2000, unless anyone wants to convince me otherwise. I'm hoping to have it last for 5+ years so quality components is a bit of a concern.

Edit: by the way - something I haven't seen mentioned in the m2 vs sata debate - the m2 cards get hotter don't they? Does that factor into lifetime expectancy?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 8, 2021

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Should I expect trouble in trying to install Windows 10 (from a usb stick) to an M.2 drive?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Thanks.

Why does Rufus want to force me into formatting my usb stick (8gb) to NTFS when I want to create a windows 10 usb stick to boot to/install from? Last time I installed Windows 10, I used FAT32.

Edit: Found out why. The newest Win10 isos have a file that's over 4gb, so NTFS is required.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 10, 2021

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I've just connected my old storage hdd after running my PC with only an ssd for a few days. Blissful silence. The hdd is loud as balls, even when not in use. This sucks. If I had money I'd replace it with a huge ssd.

Is there a way to manually switch a hdd off/on from inside Windows?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Tempted to just buy another SSD and use it for storage and store less stuff. Are SSD prices likely to fall anytime soon?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

If a HDD makes a lot of noise like that, it's generally because your case is resonating with the vibration of the drive. Sometimes even outside the case -- I've had PCs on wood floors where it was the floor that was producing sound, and putting something soft under the case to break that vibration stopped it.

There's ways to silence HDDs and do vibration isolation but that'll depend on your case. (Recent Corsair cases for example have really crappy HDD trays, so your only option is gonna be to make your own suspension setup or something. I have a corsair case for a guest / secondary PC, that's the one that I have to put a towel under to not produce a constant hum.)

As a side note, 5400 RPM drives are quieter in operation than 7200 RPM ones, and once you have enough SSD space for all your programs, games, and other "live data" you don't really care about HDD speed as much. A 5400 HDD is fine for videos, pictures, music, and other media etc. The crazy data density of modern drives means 5400s aren't even that steep a performance loss in sequential read/write.

I exaggerated about "loud as balls". I've just become more sensitive to noise, and now that I have a new PC which is practically inaudible during idle/light tasks (thanks Scythe), the HDD stands out. There's no vibration as far as I can tell. It's a 5400rpm. There's just this constant whooshing, a kind of mechanical noise pollution I'd rather banish from my soundscape. :)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why are drive manufacturers still getting away with the false marketing of selling e.g. [2 billion bytes or whatever] drives as "2TB", when the usable space is actually only 1.81TB?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I need more space. Is there a better option than a Samsung 870 Evo 2TB available currently or in the near future? I'm thinking SATA due to ease of install, and I'm already using my mobos main M2 slot. Vaguely remember something being peculiar about the second slot and I'm not gonna bother looking into it.

Priorities: Lifetime/absence of any fuckery. Performance. Price.This will be mainly for storage and apps/games, not my OS drive.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Thanks guys. I'll just go with a 870 evo.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
SSD life time expectancy: When it comes to TBW (Terabytes written), does it matter at all whether you write a ton of small files vs big files?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

Not really, but also technically yes?

As a matter of just writing data to the drive, no, data is data. If you wrote one 100 GB file and 100 GB of 1kb files to an empty drive both would say 100gb written.

In practice, lots of small files will probably make for more write amplification from writes being smaller than the page and block size. I don't think this is worth any mental bandwidth in the least -- SSD endurance is not worth worry in general. And this would not be invisible. The total writes display on the drive includes extra writes the drive has to do internally.

(Though as a note, it's the size of writes not the size of file. If you have multi-GB database files and you do lots of 1kb modifications, it would have the same effect. This is why enterprise drives with way higher endurance exist.)

Aight, :thanks: More of an academic question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is now a good time to buy another SSD (2tb nvme m2 probably) even though I don't need to use it yet? (don't have a need for more storage, and don't have another m2 slot atm, but will build a new pc sometime in 2024)

One of the ssd memory producers, I forget which, said they wanted to increase prices by 20% each quarter in the coming year. :thunk:

I've seen a price increase already on the ssd I bought last time.

But then there's something about a new generation coming soon or something?