Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

I'm thinking about getting a 2 TB SSD to use as a games drive. I'd keep my OS/programs seperate on my small 850 EVO and just dedicate my big spinner drive to backups/media and Shadowplay recordings and other dumb poo poo that doesn't matter.

I'm between the MX500 or the 860 EVO, they're basically close to same performance wise, but does one or the other have a better endurance lifespan rating since this is gonna be a big purchase and having it (potentially) last longer is more important than a few more MB/s in a benchmark that I'd never notice.

edit: I mean I know it's probably unlikely I'd ever get close to either drives TBW rating, so maybe I should just go for the Sammy?

owls or something fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If it's just a games drive, there's no reason to overspend on Samsung - get an MX500 or one of those Micron 1100s (which are old rebranded MX300s for the business market).

I forgot about that Micron 1100. Don't give me more choices!

Where is a good place to buy the 1100 that isn't 3rd party sellers on Amazon or Ebay?

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Eh, the 1100 is around $290... I think the extra ~$50 or so for the MX500 is worth it since it has 5 year warranty instead of 3 years and I don't need to deal with 3rd party sellers.

Thanks for letting me bounce ideas off you sir!

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Sold out

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

refleks posted:

Does the same hold for lower sized? I just need it for games.

I use the 1 TB as my games drive... it's fine. If the drive is close to full it will supposedly start slowing down because it runs out of fast buffer cache. But even if it did slow down it would still be faster than needed for loading games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Yep, you can get the Micron 1100 2GB for about $200 on the regular. Amazon has them new, in stock and sold by Amazon.

I think it's really worth the extra $20 for a MX500, though

or this:

owls or something fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 18, 2019