Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Is https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820177031 garbage? Newegg's got it for $200 through the daily email and I'm tempted, but it has that weird stain in the shape of 'PNY' on it, so IDK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I guess that thing wasn't such an amazing deal, so nevermind - I'm still figuring out relative NVMe lines/classes. Seems like everything is fuzzier and less standardized than SATA's nice clear I/II/III, but maybe I just haven't figured out what keywords to look for yet.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

FSMC posted:

My 840 Evo kind of died last weekend. The timing is interesting and the way it's died has me curious, expecially as I can't perform a secure erase.
I had windows 10 installed with bitlocker.

Running windows restore from a live usb couldn't fix it. I tried various sata controllers/pcs. Some get further than others. So the best I can do it to run a linux live setup, and I can access and read 2 boot partitions and one recovery partition. The main partition is unreadable even at the dd level. So the disks isn't completely lost but I can't seem to perform a secure erase.

I've tried various tools, the samsung secure erase boot disk just says that it's not possible to secure erase the disk. hdparm can't perform a secure erase. More interestingly the hdparm tool get get the drive info but the security section about whether it is locked, etc is missing.

Has anyone experienced or herd of anything like this before? Is it possible for bitlocker to enable hardware encryption at a partition level rather than disk level? Is there any reason I can read from partition from a disk but performing secure erase or factory reset is not possible?

Unless you work for or know for sure you are a target of the NSA, CIA or FBI (or equivalent), you should stop worrying and responsibly recycle it as you would any electronics. Otherwise, pry off the lid and take a drill to the center of every chip you can see and then recycle it. There are no middle options.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Last night I found that Reflect's rescue environment defaults to a ~600 by 400 resolution but the UI isn't actually usable at that resolution. Cool. Great. At least it wasn't an actual rescue situation - just trying to restore a fresh image of a spinny rust drive to an SSD without getting two computers involved or buying an enclosure. Still, JFC how do they just not test this?!

Oh and the regular desktop UI for creating a rescue environment won't let me add a video driver so welp

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I feel like even Chrome starts up faster, but that might be confirmation bias.

Definitely boots faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

That's better than mine does :\

Maybe I should install Samsung's software but having used one of their phones a few times I'm reluctant

Yes I'm sure they're different divisions I'm making a joke about how bad their phone software is