Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I'm thinking of re-purposing a M.2 SSD into a desktop without an M.2 slot. I see adapters to turn M.2 into both SATA and PCIE. Any advantages to one or the other. I'm assuming this is an active piece, rather than a passive metal passthrough. Should I be concerned about performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Skandranon posted:

Depends on the drive. M.2 isn't magic, it basically either connects to a SATA bus or a PCI-E bus, often both, but the drive is going to be built to only talk to one. Find that out and then get that adapter.

priznat posted:

Which one you get depends on if your m.2 drive is pcie or sata really.

Usually they are fully passive adapters going from m.2 to pcie aic (add in card) or m.2 to sata/minisas hd connectors.

If you specify the drive and what you want to plug it into that’d help people give you a shopping list!

Thanks. The drive in question is a Evo 850 M.2, so I'll grab a SATA adapter. I mostly wanted to sure using an adapter wasn't an inherently performance killing idea.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I watch Slickdeals pretty religiously and I have yet to see a deal on a non-Samsung SSD that is cheap enough that I would ever consider buying anything other than a Samsung or perhaps a WD. Seems highly likely that you'll still be using that Samsung as a data drive, if not a boot drive, in 5-10 years when that crappy Team Win drive is a distant painful memory.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I wouldn't take that sort of capacity hit just to get NVMe

Agreed. Everything I've read indicates that the increased speed of NVMe might be noticable...occasionally. you'll notice having twice as much capacity constantly unless you're someone who stores essentially nothing on their PC.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

So, I have a couple of recently retired 256GB 840 Pro drives with fairly low usage. How dumb would it be to run them on RAID0 so I could get a 512GB boot drive that's faster? Am I right in assuming that the big downside here is reduced reliability in the event a drive fails? I would plan on doing nightly backups to a spinning drive.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

HP announced the EX 950, the successor to the EX 920. It'll be interesting to see where pricing ends up. I've seen the EX 920 1TB go for under $140.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Wow. My trigger finger was getting a bit itchy when NVMe drives were hitting sub-$140 prices for a 1TB drive around Christmas, but I figured I'd hold off in hopes of things heading lower. Looks like I'll likely get my wish. Looking forward to still paying a $50 premium to jump from 32GB to 64GB in a smartphone :rolleyes:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Lambert posted:

If you want to have a laugh, take a gander at the Mac threads where people are discussing whether 128 GB are enough because of Apple's extortionate SSD pricing.

:allears:

$200 cost increase to go from from 128gb to 256gb in TYOOL 2019. It's honestly unsettling that they even offer 128GB as a base option. This would be so much funnier if I didn't know I was inevitably going to be buying this crap the next time my wife's laptop dies.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Does the thread think PC builders are going to realise that SSDs are dirt cheap now? The Pixelbook is a $200 upgrade to go from 128 to 256GB. I assume Apple are taking the piss to an even greater extent.

Why would they? The price difference for the MacBook Pros and Airs is the same $200 for 128GB to 256GB. That's a ton of profit margin, and I'm assuming, based on what I know from Apple, that they've removed the ability to independently upgrade the RAM and SSD, so you're up a creek if you need anything more than the most feeble SSD options.

Amazingly enough, iPhone pricing is comparatively reasonable. $50 to got from 64GB to 128GB in the XR and another $100 to jump from 128GB to 256GB.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Anandtech benchmarked the new NVMe drives from ADATA and HP which use the Silicon Motion SM2262EN controller.

quote:

The ADATA SX8200 Pro and HP EX950 largely behave as expected based on our testing last year of an engineering sample of Silicon Motion's reference design for the SM2262EN controller. SMI has drastically re-tuned the firmware to produce a very different performance profile from the original SM2262 produces. Peak performance has been improved, especially for write operations, so the SM2262EN products can be advertised with bigger numbers than their predecessors. Unfortunately, the tradeoffs mean that the new SM2262EN-based products are not as well-rounded as their predecessors; worst-case performance has gotten much worse, though the new drives always perform much better than mainstream SATA SSDs.

So I guess there's no reason to turn down a great deal on last year's models if you see one.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

CommonShore posted:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147674
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820250087

Either of these fine? Sorry about the hand-holding now - I just want to make sure that I don't screw up again.

Newegg.ca makes me think you're in Canada? If so, the posts above won't work for you. I'm not sure what the Canadian equivalent of Slickdeals is, but here's a reddit I dug up which has parts deals. Looks like they have the 1TB WD Blue for $150 which isn't bad in CAD.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bapcsalescanada/

Otherwise either of the drives you linked will be fine. Prices are fairly similar to those linked by the two posters above once you convert from USD to CAD.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Naffer posted:

replace an aging 40 GB 3.5" hard drive in a 533 MHz VIA Cyrix3-powered embedded PC that runs an old piece of scientific equipment. The embedded PC runs Windows XP SP1.

Naffer posted:

Loss of the drive would be catastrophic, since no backup or system image exists and the software and drivers to run the instrument aren't just lying around.

The only way this could get better is if the person who is in charge of this piece of equipment is the kind of person who will come back and say, "It worked fine before Naffer touched it!" if anything goes wrong.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I've been hearing about these high cost industrial and scientific instruments that are controlled by ancient PCs for so long now. Did the companies in these industries smarten up and start releasing things that could be more easily maintained long term or are we just going to be seeing the same issues for the next few decades?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

The 970 and the WD black have the same write endurance for the 1 TB size, but the WD Black will likely be cheaper.

I wouldn't do the HP EX920, it has half the write endurace of either of the above.

Write endurance isn't going to matter much for a gaming drive. A 1TB EX920, with the revised endurance rating (it was initially released with a lower warranty and write endurance) has a write endurance of 650TB. Let's say you write an average 20GB a day, which is actually probably high for a games-only drive. At the rate it'd be 89 years before you hit the endurance rating. Even at 100GB per day, it'd still be almost 18 years before you hit it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Or if you need NVMe, this Bay-area chain has the 2 TB 660p for $220. Not bad, we're closing in on $100/TB for NVMe storage! :neckbeard:

The 1TB 660P was $105 this week and is currently $110 at Newegg, so we're basically at $100 1TB NVMe as we speak, albeit with QLC drives.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Ika posted:

A bit late, but often the universities that own the instruments can't get budget approved for a PC upgrade / software upgrade, even though they can get additional multi million dollar instruments.

Oh believe me, I understand that. It seems like most of the problem is unsupported drivers rather than hardware upgrade cost for the PC driving the device? Given that this seems to be a universal problem, you'd think that there'd be some demand from consumers (university's and industrial users in this case) to require that the drivers for the equipment be open sourced so they could eventually be ported, run in a VM, or whatever.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

What's the consensus opinion on the Intel 660P QLC NVMe drives? Not really considering one, but I'm just trying to figure out where the fit in. Better or worse than a SATA3 SSD? Okay or not ideal as a boot drive?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

WD is ditching the blue/black separation between their SATA and NVMe lines. Also, the new blue NVMe drives top out at 500GB. MSRP is similar to what the sale prices for the mid-range HP and ADATA drives, so unless street prices are much lower than MSRP I have no idea who would buy these.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14086/new-wd-blue-sn500-ssd-switches-to-nvme

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

rath posted:

My terribly ancient 250gb SanDisk SSD is failing. I only use it for my OS and have a couple of other EVO SSDs for general storage. I was thinking about getting a 250gb 960EVO, but is there another contender these days I should take a look at?

Things have changed a lot in the last year or two with regards to reliability and performance. You can now get a pretty great SSD from a number of brands and prices are great and continuing to drop. Since the price differences between 250GB and 500GB drives are pretty minimal, I'd recommend going with at least a 500GB drive.

Does your motherboard have a bootable NVMe slot? If so you should consider a NVMe drive since the price difference isn't that much, especially on smaller drives.

If you are stuck with, or want to stick with, SATA then your options are numerous. Samsung EVO's are still great drives, but they're not really that much better than the competition anymore and they tend to be much more expensive.

Currently the ADATA SU800 is $50 on Rakuten.

Other SATA drives that would make good boot drives are:
WD Blue
Crucial MX500
Sandisc Ultra 3D (same thing as a WD Blue)
Samsung Evo

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I was looking up my total writes for all my SSD's and the results were pretty comical:

4.5 year old Intel 530, used as a boot drive - 43TB written
5 year old Samsung 840 Pros used as workstation boot drives - 26TB written
1.3yr old Samsung 850 Evo used as a boot drive and also containing a huge dropbox - 18TB written

Pretty comical to see what my real world stats are and how long it would take to hit a modern SSD's endurance rating at those kind of rates. That said, I hadn't remembered how low (or perhaps more accurately, conservative?) endurance ratings were a few years ago. The Intel drive was only rated for 20GB a day for 5 years (36TB).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I found this article while poking around for actual endurance ratings on my Intel 530 drive. Makes me feel a lot better about my 43TBW.

https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

I'd be curious to see someone do this with modern drives, especially the QLC drives that are popping up.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was going to ask for a gaming SSD for my birthday, but if this is a sensible drive, I may just pull the trigger right now. What would be reasons not to do this?

It's a fine drive as a SATA boot drive. If your motherboard has an NVMe slot that it can boot from that may be worth the $15-20 price premium for an NVMe drive, though.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14275/memory-makers-cut-nand-flash-production

It'll be interesting to see if or when this halts the SSD price drops. Seems like decreases have slowed significantly, so I guess I should think about buying that 1TB NVMe drive I've been planning on..

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If DDR5 is coming out this year it'll be the fastest JEDEC has ever ratified a standard. 12-18 months minimum.

There was some DDR5 discussion in another thread (AMD maybe?) and consensus seemed to be that 2021 was going to be the earliest we'd see it on shelves.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah SSD prices haven't really fallen much below where they were at for black friday, DRAM is still going down though.

They've dropped a bit since BF, but its really slowed down. I strongly suspect they'll keep dropping, however, since I just pulled the trigger on a 1TB EX920 for $117 (with "first time" google express coupon).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Well, that's the cheapest I've seen a 2TB drive, but I'd have some reservations about buying an enterprise drive from "some local guy" and assuming the that the warranty will transfer. If you want a 2TB SATA drive this ADATA has a 3yr warranty for $181. Prices are still dropping so we may see those hit $150 over the summer (or prices may go up, who knows).

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/adata/...0YAygOG6TU7NGyw

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

3peat posted:

Would a Samsung PM981 2Tb be worth ~$250? (brand new, but fallen off a truck so no warranty)
From what I can tell it's the OEM version of the 970 evo, and in stores in my country the 970 2Tb is $500+

There's very few 2TB TLC NVMe drives out there, so there's not a lot to compare it to, but all three of those are requirements then that seems like a decent deal. Gray market SSDs seem more than a bit sketchy to me though.

I installed my 1TB EX920 last night. Once I figured out how to clone my windows partition everything runs great. Now I have to figure out what to do with the pair of 840 Pros it's replacing. I know there are programs that cache stuff on spinning drives to the SSDs. Are those worth installing?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Anyone want to venture a guess at what's causing this on my EX920? Seeing issues with both HD Sentinel and CrystalDiskInfo. This drive is only a couple weeks old.

edit: Error showed up the same day I pushed Win10 to the spring 2019 patch, which may be somehow related?

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 25, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Atomizer posted:

The probability of this being related to Windows updates approaches 100% nowadays, nevertheless you'd have to show us the SMART attributes page to see what's triggering the alerts.

Hmm, this doesn't look right at all.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

The Electronaut posted:

That's what I thought (electrically). I need just need to swap from one to other and the one that's coming out of this desktop is going into a laptop, shelving the one coming out of the laptop, so no need for the permamounting.

Thanks!

Here's an interesting one. It's an enclosure that turns an M.2 SATA drive into a 2.5" SATA drive, but also has a USB connection so you can use it as an external drive. If you're literally just putting the thing on a shelf it might be useful to turn it into a blazing fast external drive.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-...gateway&sr=8-10

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

The retail price on this is now $99.99 for 1 TB, pretty good deal!

Wow, a Microcenter deal that isn't only store pickup!

Azuren posted:

Is paying the price premium for a NVMe PCIe drive worth it, or will I not notice any difference over say a cheaper M.2 SATA drive?

MaxxBot is right that you may not notice much difference between a SATA drive and an NVMe drive in typical user scenarios, but how often do you get the chance to buy something that's literally 3 times faster for a fairly small price premium?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Picked up two, because frankly why not?

Why stop at two?

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-M-2-X16-V2-Threadripper/dp/B07NQBQB6Z/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=NVMe+raid&qid=1559682662&s=gateway&sr=8-4

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Because instead of paying $35x4 + $68 (so well over $200 including tax) for 1 TB I'd rather just get a single 2 TB 660p for ~$200. :shrug:

For the record, so would I, but the idea of s 4x RAID 0 MLC NVMe is pretty neat, albeit fairly useless. One of the Amazon reviews says they get 8GBps throughput with four drives.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

surf rock posted:

Hey all, I'm in the process of planning out a build and just realized that there's a dedicated SSD thread, so here I am!

I was reading back a bit and saw this spreadsheet, which was fascinating and super useful. Looking through the options there, I'm pretty inclined toward this Corsair at $125. I know I could do the Inland Premium slightly cheaper at $100, but this one seems to have a decent spec edge (especially on the writing side).

Also, I know this isn't an SSD, but does anyone here have thoughts on the Toshiba X300 for an HDD storage drive?

Last thing: what do folks here think about PCIe 4.0 SSDs? I think my planned CPU (AMD Ryzen 9 3900X) and motherboard (Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master will both be compatible with it, but it also seems like these won't be out until next year and that they'll probably take another year or two after that before they've maximized the technology and solved the heating issues. So, I'm pretty inclined not to wait for any of that, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thank you for any insights you can share!

The Corsair and the Inland Premium are both Phison E12 drives and should have very similar performance. I agree with the others that NVMe drives are already fast enough that you won't notice any difference between high quality models. I'd save the $25 personally.

I've never heard anything on Toshiba hard drives, but its probably fine. Most people putting spinning drives in these days buy WD external drives and "shuck" the removable drives out of them. It works out much cheaper for larger models ($8TB go for $130 frequently) and the drives are usually WD NAS drives.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

GenericGirlName posted:

It's been going great except that I'm constantly on the edge of being out of space. I'm looking into grabbing the Samsung 860 500gb on amazon for slightly under $80 and doing a disk clone onto it. Any obvious reason to get a different 500gb harddrive? I'm cool with a cheaper 500gb as long as it isn't garage.

Good advice above, but if you think even more space would be beneficial you can often find the ADATA SU800 1TB for about the same price you were going to pay for the 500GB Samsung.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/adata/product/ASU800SS-1TT-C/

(Member price just means you sign up for a free account)

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Zotix posted:

Question, going to be doing more or less a new build in a couple of weeks. I currently have a Samsun Pro 840 in my computer, but it's only 256gb. I'm thinking of buying this, Based on some quick reading on different forums. Are there any other recommendations you guys might have? The computer would likely be a Ryzen 3000 chipset used primarily for gaming, and light VM work.

Save yourself $40 and get that Inland Premium model that's going for $105 from Microcenter or Amazon. The SX8200 Pro is a great drive, but the performance of the Inland Premium drive will likely be indistinguishable.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Zotix posted:

Seems pretty solid. I won't have any issues with slotting that into a new AM4 board for a Ryzen 3000 build I'll do in 2 weeks? Is 2280 the most recent form factor for the M2 NVMe?

Due your due diligence and double check your motherboard specs, but every NVMe drive I've seen has been 2280 so I can't imagine a motherboard not supporting that.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Klyith posted:

When considering the WD drive, do you have a reason to want it in the m.2 form factor? It potentially limits re-use versus a 2.5" drive. An m.2 SATA drive means you're stuck with the m.2 socket, and in desktops you get 2 or at most 3 m.2 slots on your mobo versus 6 normal SATA jacks. (OTOH if you're putting it into a laptop ignore this question.)

If you find yourself with an M.2 SATA drive and in need of a 2.5" SATA drive you can always buy a cheap adapter.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

skylined! posted:

1TB Inland Professional M.2 arrived today. Results vs Samsung 970 pro 1tb - they're uh, not bad for a $100 1TB stick of gum.

Did you get the Inland Professional or the Inland Premium? I believe the later is a little better on paper and the one most recommended, so I was just curious if it was a typo or not. Either way, nothing to complain about performance wise!

BobHoward posted:

The difference is that Samsung Pro line drives are MLC and should be able to sustain that measured write performance indefinitely, while QLC drives like the Inland Pro will suffer a steep drop off once you fill the SLC-mode write buffer.

On the other hand it is exceedingly unlikely you care about sustaining high speed writes for minutes or hours, so enjoy!

I believe both the Inland Pro and Premium drives use TLC rather the QLC. Their endurance ratings reflect that (600TBW and 1600TBW respectively for the 1TB models).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ilkhan posted:

My current setup is a WD Black 250 (windows boot and whatever games I'm currently playing drive), samsung 850 pro 256 (dedicated linux drive), and a 1TB spinner (dedicated storage drive and rest of the steam library). When I build my Ryzen 3700 rig I want to go all m.2, trading the 850 pro and the spinner for a 1TB m.2 as a windows drive and using the black for the linux drive. Besides the inland premium, what should I be looking at? Or is the Inland just that good? A 2TB option wouldn't be horrible either.

The Inland Premium isn't that special, it's just significantly cheaper than any other quality TLC NVMe drive. Other drives that provide good value at somewhat similar prices are the HP EX920/EX950, ADATA SX8200 Pro, and any of the Phison E12 drives (Sabrent Rocker, Corsair MP510, etc.).

Edit: I should probably add that the general opinion of almost everyone in this thread is that we've reached a point where you're not going to notice the difference between the speed of TLC NVMe drives like the ones listed above. You might see it in benchmarks, but in practice just buy whatever the best value is from a trusted brand and save your money for other spec bumps.

With the exception of QLC drives like the Intel 660P there seems to be a price premium for 2TB NVMe drives at this point. IE, you pay more than double the cost of a 1TB to get a 2TB.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 27, 2019