Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

This auction just happened to have 3 minutes left and I watched it end, was it as good a deal as I think or is there a caveat besides SAS? I don't have $1k to drop at a moments notice anyway, just curious about Seagate Nytro stuff

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15TB-Seaga...wH&LH_Auction=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Is there a half-height pcie card that holds 4 m2 SSDs, 2 on each side?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nice. Being out of spec had me worried no one would make one.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thanks for the warning, I'll have to investigate bifurcation. Might need UEFI modules or some crap

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh man I was just on a DB of that info yesterday. I'm seeing if I can find it in history

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1B27_j9NDPU3cNlj2HKcrfpJKHkOf-Oi1DbuuQva2gT4/htmlview#gid=0

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 1, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

Can someone explain to me the difference between caching and tiered storage? Because it seems like the same idea to me: Frequently-used files get moved/copied to the SSD from the hard drive. What's the difference in practice?

Tiered storage is a term for that but not limited to just 2 layers.

And it may or may not keep data on multiple tiers at once, like caching usually does.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ok, so apocalypse happened. we really need to watch superman though. how do we decode this lost video content. Use a few of the billions of bluray drives and billions of 90% destroyed bluray discs and run a bunch of error correction passes to make sure everything agrees; or do we try to find one of the one known readers of the quartz cube

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

I don't think we actually need the original superman

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

Put more chips on it

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

they're more consistent than rocks

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

there's a smaller one inside that, right?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

If it is a warranty RMA, the company should cover shipping. If it's a return for another reason, then the customer pays. Simple and fair. But with discount OEMs like ADATA it is pretty typical that they make you pay, unfortunately.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

This google sheets has info on a lot of SSDs

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

You still get paid while you smash drives right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

m2 has more pins and additional hardware, an insert nut or three, which are maybe 5 or 10 cents each (we buy them in way lower quantity than a mobo manufacturer would and pay 20-40 cents depending on the quality and type)