Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Malcolm XML posted:

Optane is a flop lmao

Unless they integrate it onto flash SSDs as ram replacement/ cache ....

Floptane

Why did they release it while it is so far behind all projected performance metrics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Potato Salad posted:

The Intel 600p and two lanes of PCI line up well on paper. Bear in mind that the theoretical bandwidth of PCIe SSDs isn't where the magic happens for home / office / gamer users. It's in the more modern, quicker protocol and far more responsive read/writes.

I'd be really interested in pcie nvme drive reviews aimed at these use cases - Are there any good reviews concentrating on load time?

We've got maximum bandwidth up the wazoo but I just want games to load as quick as possible. Low queue depth etc.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If you mount it like that, does it report free space separately for the mounted path and the partition its "inside"?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I think the best, most noble use for these old things is to suicide run overclock them. A volt modded viking funeral.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just hit order an a 960 Evo, for the system drive. I don't know why I'm excited, but I am.

But I wanted to ask, what's the cheapest, 1TB Sata SSD worth a drat? This is for storage / steam backups / files for projects I've completed, and the like.

Thanks SSD goons.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Reading about people loving around with CSM settings with M2 NVME drives - what's the deal and recommended settings?

Also, if running a single Samsung 960Evo in M2, is it best practice to uninstall Intel RST and just use the Samsung driver?

Going to do a fresh install of Win10 on an Asus Z170i. Silly questions but I'd rather ask here before the drive arrives.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

td4guy posted:

The CSM stuff is only used for compatibility with old stuff, like if you were installing Windows 7 or booting off of some wacky system repair boot drive or something. You won't need to mess around with it for a modern OS like Windows 10.

Thanks for the info - I'll leave that at default.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

MazelTovCocktail posted:

First I just wanted to say that I thought SSD was a little hype, but jesus christ my computer starts up and fully loads into Windows in 30 seconds, down from ~8 minutes (never really timed it). Also it's good to know I don't really need a tray for it.

Second, I should clarify that I did backup my important documents (work files), I meant more along with copying data and settings back over to a new installations of say chrome. The cloning of the hard drive wasn't possible due to lacking a suitable amount of free space to do a clone, even a dramatically paired down one. Literally I had 20 gb free on it. Besides having a fresh restart is kind of nice. Also I'll be honest my data backup habits....are kind of awful.

That said even with having to redo installations and move data around, the gain from an SSD is so hugely positive it's almost comical. I just can't wait till prices keep coming down and I can just phase out regular hard drives.

It was fricking awesome when I swapped to SSD in 2009, it must literally be blowing your mind to transition over now in 2017.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Around 11PM last night I just blurted out "holy loving poo poo" I mean it was just ridiculous. I really want to test out Battlefield 1 on it or some game that I've had slow loading on before. Granted it would be more of a test as I don't plan on keeping any games on it that are not regularly being played (or have small footprints say like a paradox game...well ignoring mods) since with EA games...they would take up a good 20% of the HD.

It's like a new machine from the future feeling, isn't it? Thanks for being super happy about it as I'm now reliving that vicariously.

Some goons recommended 1TB SSD's a few pages back in the thread that might be of interest for ditching any remaining spinners.
I was considering this but instead pruned the poo poo out of my files spinner disk, and the contents can fit happily on a 256GB SSD now (which I already have), with much of it on the cloud instead.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah, I feel like I should have Tom Selleck narrating about it.

Once question is there anyway to port over my old chrome settings and files to the new chrome installation? I tried moving over the user data, but it doesn't seem to do anything. It wouldn't really be the end of the world, but I'd really like to migrate that over if possible. Everything else I could live with going year zero on (since the important docs are safe anyway).

EDIT: Eh I think it's a lost cause, oh well. At least I didn't lose any real data.

Did you copy the user data from the old drive, should be a path something like
file:///OLDDRIVELETTER:/Users/GRINDCORE/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome/User%20Data/Default/

To the new drive here -
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\

I've not tried it but I thought that was all there was.

O/wise If you can still boot from the old hard drive you should be able to boot from it, then sync everything to your google account, then boot from the new hard drive and sync that as well. In Chrome.

B-Nasty posted:

I have been thinking about a small (256-500GB) SSD in addition to the SSD the OS lives on for anything data related. I could move source code, Windows user profile, and any programs that don't care over to that drive. I doubt it would make all that much difference, however. I don't think most of my reads off the C: SSD are maxing it out, except during obvious operations like file copies.

Same here, I just want to use a small secondary SSD for project files and the like, and Steam Backups. Infact reinstalling Steam backups is the only time I notice the speed being low on the spinner I'm currently using. I'd really just like a 2TB NVME drive but hahaha yea buying my wife flowers wouldn't help with that purchase.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 14, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Nothing major, except: it being heresy the cost / ease of removal being worse then a cabled sata drive.

You'd have to remove the m2 sata drive if you ever wanted to add a significantly faster nvme drive instead, unless you have multiple ports.

Sata ports (the conventional ones) aren't going to go away for a long while. So a cabled sata drive might be easier to reuse in the future, if you ever wanted to put it into a different system.

It's no big deal but I only see drawbacks. I'd fit an nvme drive, or a plain cabled sata drive personally.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 2, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Don Lapre posted:

M.2 SATA adapters are cheap. You could just move it to a SATA port in the future if you needed.

That's good to know, thanks.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Trip report of a 960 Evo 256GB:
Vs my previous 840 Evo ( D: )

Windows boots a couple of seconds faster, some games load almost comically fast now (Doom has several splash loading scenes, and on the 960, they are so brief the background music cuts off). Of course, file copy / move etc operations on the disk are just silly.

I'm happy with it, as this purchase was just as a toy really.

I replaced my spinner files disk (work project files) with the old 840, so the whole thing is SSD only now, and that's what I'm really noticing most of all.

I read a lot about people saying windows feels "snappier" and I can't tell any difference at all, not one iota. I could easily go back to a SATA drive without it affecting anything worthwhile. But having the whole box spinner free is really nice.

TB+ cheap, slow SSD's for infrequently used files can't come soon enough.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 9, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If you do a fresh install, just remember ninite.com is your friend.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wooper posted:

Let me tell you about samsung F1 drives that are named that because they sound like F1 cars.

The spinpoint f1? Mine were really quiet except for the weird WHOOP they made on startup. Dog slow though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Maybe it depends when they were made too. I'm glad mine are gone.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 13, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yea, I'm finding it difficult to find any use case for such a big hybrid drive for me. Everything I'd need from mass storage like that would be infrequently and randomly accessed anyway, so it wouldn't be even cached to the SSD part of it, or it would be media like music etc where it wouldn't matter.

If I had a spinner at all now it would be fast SSD for system / most common apps + cheap reliable non hybrid drive for files.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

In the comments for the optane articles, people are mentioning how Intel's original released specs have been totally missed. They're being shut down by comments like "Intel didn't specify gen 1"

Isn't Samsung getting in on a low QD / latency optimised SSD?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

One other defence is that the actual memory technology itself is faster, but limited by the controller.
If that's the case then I don't see how that's anything other then a disappointment.

I'm more interested in what Samsung do with Z-Nand now. I'm not even bothered if it has NAND levels of longevity, I only care if they get low QD performance and low latency at a good price. And with a higher capacity then an iPad.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 27, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I think the tech will be great. But this iteration of it, with the limited size, is absolutely useless for desktop users.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'll be super interested in it when it hits 256GB and the price is good, though. I'm wondering how long that might take, and if Samsung might launch their drive before that point.
I am glad low QD is finally being addressed, I agonized for ages over which NVME drive to get for that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wonder if there is any actual hardware at all limiting it, or if it's just running a version check on the chipset / proc in software.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

priznat posted:

Is it just that it will only act as the cache drive in Kaby Lake? I'm wondering if you can just use it as any other NVMe drive on other chipsets. A tiny drive, of course.

Yes and it needs z270. Not all kaby chips support the caching ( o0 )

I'm sure it runs on anything with m2 just as a normal drive.

E- I'm only meaning the m2, no idea about the pcie card version.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If your application is using low queue depths it'll fly.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wonder what they'd be like in Raid 0.
I know, data loss.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

willroc7 posted:

a little outside my technical capabilites.

If you get it working, please post a guide and bios files. It'll make a lot of z77 owners happy.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Siochain posted:

And this is 100% opposite of what I'd say. We're getting another 2-3 years of life out of systems simply by replacing lovely old spinners with 1/2 decent SSD's - all 256 gb (or more for some power users), but at the cheap price, its a huge upgrade. Everyone loves them.

Totally agree. They'll be happier using them, lovely bloated apps like office will load much quicker, etc. I'd rather have a slower system with an SSD (over a hybrid, even) then a faster one with a spinner for office work.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That looks absolutely retarded. But I'm sure it's really great in some ways.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

metallicaeg posted:

I dunno about you guys, but I unwrap a new Evo each time I boot my PC. Bit of a pain in the rear end and it sure is expensive, but that's the price you pay for never running on a used SSD.

Same, but I had to budget so I've never booted my pc.

With smart data you've got a heads up unlike most other components. The part I'd not buy used is a power supply, or a mobo without warranty.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 30, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I keep copies of 250MB or so and move them around sometimes, it's a lot faster.
Bookings faster significantly.
Virus scan is stupid fast

Day to day I don't notice. Over an 840 evo.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wouldn't go back to a non nvme system drive. It's not a massive difference, but it's still bigger then going from sandy > skylake, which I hardly noticed at all (except in games).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

When they brick themselves, is it still readable?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I thought so. I just didn't get locking itself into read only mode and then bricking itself into read only mode.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just install the driver if anything.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

My friends Ryzen booted on his 850 evo with an install of 10 on it, which was using z77.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Hello thread, I read the OP but I still have some questions, never having had a SSD before. As October the 5th draws near I'm going for a brand new system (office and a bit of gaming) that will have a SSD, but...

An old ssd from 2009 would make a non ssd system feel like it had a massive upgrade. They make normal disks feel like tape.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It looks like a really solid product. I hope low queue depth becomes the thing now for ssds - way more interesting.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I just fitted a motherboard and had SATA problems, and it was a combination of a cable being bad, and 3 of the ports being disabled because an nvme drive was installed.

I think that's the first time I've ever had a hosed up sata cable.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Klyith posted:

Oh man, I guess you never used a sata cable that came free in the mobo box during the first couple years of sata? They were terribad.

Nothing like plugging in the cable, having the super-thin plastic on the plug immediately break for no apparent reason so that it wouldn't keep a good connection on the contacts, throwing it away and pulling out the other cable, and having that one break too.

I was really paranoid the ports on the board were dead as this is an ex - demo cheap board. And the section in the Asrock user manual that sets out which ports get disabled by NVME was written by a lunatic.

And the dead cable, I needed valium by the time it worked. Normally I'm super methodical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it decompression?