Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I think my 7 year old 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe is failing, but I'm not sure. The machine started hanging when navigating files in Explorer yesterday, and when clicking the start menu and trying to shut down. I clicked the start menu and it took 3-5 seconds to bring it up, then the same thing when clicking power>shut down. 3-5 second delay between action and response.

I'll poke around on it some more when I get home today, but I'm looking at a replacement in the meantime. The machine is a 3770K on a P67 board. I'm looking at either another ~256GB or ~512GB as a replacement, and I'm seeing the cheaper Silicon Power drives on Newegg - are these good enough to rely on for a few years? This machine is mostly used for gaming and obviously is old hardware to begin with. The games are mostly installed on a (also probably going to be dead soon) 9 year old 1TB WD Black HDD, so my other thought was to just get a 2TB SSD and combine them, but I'm not really into the idea of dropping $200+ on this machine at this point. I might be willing to step up to the 1TB Silicon Power drive and just uninstall some stuff.

I'll probably build a new machine in another year or two when there is hopefully a little less uncertainty in the world, but it would be nice to keep this dinosaur chugging along until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

#1 get crystaldiskinfo, if the drive is having read errors they'll be logged in smart
#2 check event viewer to see if it's reporting drive errors or something else

Thanks for the tips, unfortunately it's stuck at the initial Windows splash screen now. I'll try to mount it with another machine but I'm assuming it's toast.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is there a particular recommended pick for a 2TB drive for a general use/gaming/CAD laptop? I'm looking at the WD SN770 on Amazon for $180 and wondering if I should save a bit and look at Gen 3 drives instead. This would go into a new ASUS ROG Flow X16. I have used a couple different laptops with Gen 3 drives for the past few years and don't really think they have felt slow to load at any point, but eh.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Thanks, I picked up the 770.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Does the 4TB Samsung 990 Pro have the same potential longevity bug the 1TB and 2TB ones do?

There's some pretty good deals on them right now but I can't seem to find solid info other than apparently there's currently no driver updates for the 4TB model. Wondering if it's worth just paying a bit more for the WD Black SN850X 4TB.

I just ordered the 4TB SN850X for $20 less than the 990 Pro, FYI ($229 for the SN850X, $249 for the 990 Pro). Looking at pcpartpicker that seems to be the prices at most online retailers as of now. In the US, that is.