Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Anyone have any experience with the Visiontek SSD's that Dell sells? Specs look okay, but as we all know, specs are a lie anyways.
Trying to get pricing for replacing HDD's with SSD's in about 30-50 user systems, and Dell's already a setup vendor, so buying from them is easy. But, if the drives are garbage, I'll push for alternatives.
I just can't seem to find much online about them, which worries me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Potato Salad posted:

My trusty pocket VAR and my team go to lunch occasionally. I think we tipped our collective hands on nvme excitement too hard. She threw an sm951 in the last laptop workstation we bought "on the house."

Lord, that is a nice freggin drive. Now I have to pay for premium Samsung drives where midrange would have been okay because half my workstation-level customers have heard about the :magical: power of premium nvme.

Well done, sales person. Well done.

Yeah, we've got NVME in the last few Precision laptops we've ordered. Sweet jesus christ. SSD's in everything new from now on, and ordering a bucketload to upgrade older-but-still-okay systems.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Bit of a strange question - does the Sandisk X400 come with cloning software? If not, Macrium should be fine, but we're migrating a few systems at work to SSD's and I wasn't 100% sure if the Sandisk's came with something like Samsung's data-migration tool.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

redeyes posted:

On a consumer machine you will probably never reach a steady-state.

I'd caveat that with a "often enough or for long enough periods of time for it to be relevant"

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Double Punctuation posted:

Mix them into water, then remove them from the water. The water will remember their state forever.

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › More poo poo that pisses you off: My boss drank our backups

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

But wait, there's more:

I hadn't even realized I made the thread title hahah.
And now I'm giggling like an idiot again.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Klyith posted:

If this is just a "generic business" PC, there is no point to having SSDs in office machines. The size limits and added expense aren't worth the minimal improvements to standard office apps, and normal users can't be expected to manage a 2 drive system. If I wanted to give my users a treat with a somewhat snappier system, the seagate SSHDs would be an ok compromise.

And this is 100% opposite of what I'd say. We're getting another 2-3 years of life out of systems simply by replacing lovely old spinners with 1/2 decent SSD's - all 256 gb (or more for some power users), but at the cheap price, its a huge upgrade. Everyone loves them.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

One of the companies I help with IT matters are looking to upgrade their workstations and it's infuriating to me that Dell won't let me swap SSDs in a lot of their base configs. It would make such a big difference in their day to day use.

She's also vehemently against macs which would simplify this.

If I'm missing something here, please feel free to call me an idiot and point me in the right direction. I haven't dealt with PC oems in a while since my company went all Mac.

Get a Dell rep, have them do it.
Or go through a VAR, etc. I know we get all of our Dell's with SSD's now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

And I've seen way more Samsung based SSDs in Macs, so where does that leave us?

Adata and/or Western Digital? :P