Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Does anyone here have experience using one of the 900p Optane drives as a boot drive? I'm putting together a new system, and I'm on the fence about shelling out the extra cash relative to a more traditional NVMe SSD. Are the Optane drives significantly faster?

Also, for the motherboard I'm using, I'd have to go with U.2 form factor, using an m.2 adapter. Is there any downside to that in terms of speed, compared to the HHHL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

craig588 posted:

Are you going to do any sort of pro work like running VMs or databases? I have a 960 evo and it does benchmark very well, but I don't really notice a difference over my old 840 pro and knowing the real world difference is so small for consumer workloads I'm planning to go with another SATA drive in the future as long as they stay significantly cheaper.
I'd primarily be using it for gaming.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Klyith posted:

you will not notice the difference, it's a waste of money.

(even a regular nvme drive like a 960pro is extremely marginal. at the current time, reading data from a fast SSD is not the bottleneck for video games, even in level loads. the difference between top-of-the-line nvme optane and a sata evo is inside the error bars for many games.)

e: people have put games on ramdrives and found no improvement versus a ssd
Cool - thanks.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

though if ram prices keep going up it might be worthwhile to use those lovely optane modules as purely swap
Speaking of the lovely "Optane memory" modules, I know that Intel has designed them to only be usable with a primary drive, and they only really provide a speed boost for an HDD. So, using them in the intended way requires you to have a new motherboard, but to still be using an HDD as your boot drive. Is there any way to use the modules as cache for a secondary drive? Or are they really that useless?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

All the high-end SSD performance characteristics fall squarely into “if you have to ask if you need / can benefit from it, you don’t need it or won’t benefit from it” territory. The closest thing to a gaming scenario that would materially benefit is if you’re multi boxing like 10 MMOs concurrently.
To be fair, I was multiboxing five instances of Eve Online a few years ago... ;)

I definitely appreciate the collective feedback though. Looks like I'm going to pass on this particular Optane drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

dogstile posted:

Can I bring this back up?

What the gently caress is this?
Abstract expressionism.