Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Has anyone tried to RMA a Kingspec drive? They have an online warranty form, but it seems to have gone into the abyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

I currently have an 850 EVO SATA III drive in my gaming PC. Are regular SATA M.2 drives the same speed as their 2.5" counterparts?

Would the only upgrade be an NVMe drive?

Any standout deals right now? I see the 500GB 970 Evo for $117 on amazon. There's also the 1TB 860 Evo for $128 but maybe that's no faster than my 850?

I'm aware I'll need an add-on card plus a modified bios for an NVMe to work with my Z87 mobo.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Klyith posted:

NVMe won't improve anything on a gaming PC, and having to go through extra hoops to make it work is doubly useless. Put your money in the piggy bank to save for upgrading the whole machine.

Oh I thought that was the new thing? I guess I don't need a hard drive.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Lockback posted:

As has been said, if you're going from a low-end SSD, NVME can probably start nudging into "a little noticeable" realm in terms of improvement for a gamer, but it's pretty small. Since you have a 850 EVO, I don't think you'll notice anything significant.

If you need to get a new hard drive anyway, NVME is still probably in the "Not Worth the Money", but the ADATA or HP drives are not too far outside the price/perf curve to be ridiculous. I needed a new drive recently and got the ADATA just because I wanted to see what one was like and didn't really mind spending the 15% upcharge.

So the Samsungs will probably never be worth it from a gaming performance standpoint until they've replaced the existence of SATA from a price standpoint?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

If building a new gaming PC, what size and form factor should I be looking at? I've only ever had 2.5" drives and the last one was 500GB.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

If I have a 2.5" SATA 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo, aside from more space is there performance gains I could be getting by looking into a Black Friday upgrade? Is there a go to?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Thanks, I just game and read the internet. Doesn't sound like I need anything.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Has their been a good BF deal yet? I saw the 1TB Intel 660p at Newegg for $87 I think.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Think I might want a new drive for my birthday since I'm running low on space after much cleanup.

Should I look at 1TB NVMe? Are there a few I should consider and at what prices? r/buildapcsales doesn't look to have any super deals right now.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

How's this for $135 before tax? https://www.newegg.com/western-digi...N82E16820250110

The WD store has a 10% discount for first time newsletter sign up. Should I just wait for a $100 drive that doesn't have all this crazy performance I won't need for gaming?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Klyith posted:

Why wait? The adata SU800 1TB is on sale for $100 right now.

($135 is a good price for that WD drive though if you're enticed by NVMe. It's now possible that games will take more advantage of NVMe speed with new consoles having them. I'm somewhat doubtful it'll work out like that in reality, but MS and Sony are certainly hyping it up.)

Are there NVMe drives that are $100? The form factor alone is one thing I'm interested in since I already have two SATA SSDs in here plus a 3.5".

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Klyith posted:

Nah. There are sata M.2 drives like this wd blue for $110, but the savings over the nvme drive are getting even smaller.

You can find cheaper NVMe drives on off-brands like Microcenter's Inland. The HP EX920 is a good drive but it seems to have jumped up in price / sold out. But prices seem to be climbing right now so I'd just get something now if you need it.

Seems like the SN750 at $135 would be the best option. I guess I could save $5 and get this but it's QLC if that matters https://smile.amazon.com/Sabrent-Ro...B/dp/B07ZZYWTBP

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Klyith posted:

For $5 definitely not worth it. In general I'd rather have a sata drive than a QLC NVMe.

Looking at the reviews for the cheaper Blue SN550, it looks faster in games. I don't really do any file transfers from my main drive since I have a 3TB data drive and a NAS for that. Should I just go with that then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Klyith posted:

The Blue SN550 is the same thing as a SN750 but without DRAM and 4 io channels rather than 8. Any test that showed the SN550 as being faster than the SN750 is probably a flawed test -- for example not running the test enough times to find the error bars. (Games are particularly bad for this because they can have different times if you delete and reinstall them, meaning that a thorough test is a laborious process. This is why many of the top-tier sites that do the most scientific testing don't even do game loading comparisons anymore.)

As for whether you should get the SN550, it's fine but I'd rather have a drive with DRAM cache as an OS drive.

Would my Samsung 850 EVO SATA drive be better suited for an OS drive and then just use the SN550 as a game drive?