Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So I just bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500GB over the weekend and I've forgotten the steps, if any, I should do before I use Samsung's Data Migration tool to transfer my OS over from my 120GB SSD. Anyone able to give me a quick rundown? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I think I have a problem. I'm going to putting together my new pc soon and I currently plan to put my new Samsung 850 EVO 500gb (currently being used as my OS boot drive in my pc) into the new one and my old Samsung 840 EVO 120gb back into my old pc.

The problem I think I have is that I never did the secure erase after using the Samsung Data Migration tool when I initially swapped out my 840 for the 850, and just now when I tried to do a secure erase for the old content on my 840 it did not work because the 840 doesn't appear. I'm using a SATA USB cable exactly like what I originally did with doing the Data Migration in the first place.

So my question is: is it possible for me to say do the Data Migration again but this time from the 850 EVO to the 840 EVO without having gotten rid of the data on the 840 EVO first? If not then how do i got about returning the 840 EVO to factory condition? Seeing that it does not appear in the Samsung Magician software for me to use secure erase.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Intel 600p and/or the Plextor M8 series. I'd highly recommend going with the heatsinked version of the Plextor. Toshiba and OCZ also make a decent drive.

There'll be a ton of new drives in the next six months, though.

totally getting myself a 1tb nvme if they start getting cheaper. i am in love with my intel 600p.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
im still waiting for the samsung 960 to be back in stock, what gives.

Dear Mr. Samsung and Newegg,

I have and extra m.2 slot that is sitting empty and I need me a 960 EVO 1TB at cheap rear end prices please.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 25, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

gonna have to wait until manufacturers other than intel (which surprised me) start the race to the bottom on nvme

Yeah, I was suprised how good of a price the 256gb 600p was and just had to grab it for my new build, as my boot drive. I do however want a better quality NVME for my games and other stuff. Currently using my 850 EVO 500gb for games only. HGST Deskstar 4TB for media and whatever random stuff.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the reason it's happening is pretty funny: everyone transitioning fabs to 3d nand and it taking longer than usual causing a shortage of supply since there are fewer fabs active

it'll blow over before people really feel the price squeeze, at worst it'll just mean the x400 costs $20 more

so does that mean there will be a massive price drop once they start cranking out 3d nand from the new fabs?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Potato Salad posted:

SSD isn't the way of the future. It's the way of right now, and that's if you are late.

Starting rule of thumb: don't buy home-use HDDs. Those are the tech of the past. They're over for home users and most gamers.

This is becoming less of an opinionated generalization and more of a universal ... fact? as the months wear on.

I thought NVME is the way of the future now.

Hey buddo nothing wrong with HGST DeskStar 4tb for media storage. No way in hell I'm paying the prices they are charging for SSD storage.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BIG HEADLINE posted:

NVMe's a *glimpse* at the future. The interconnect isn't ideal, and it takes up too much space on a motherboard, but it does allow OEMs and console makers to use thinner and smaller chassis.

Honestly, the most 'exciting' development on the horizon are DRAM-less SSDs. Right now they're not large enough and cost too much, but as NAND gets better, you'll be able to affordably eliminate HDDs for storage altogether in favor of SSDs that might only make ~300MB/sec, but they'll do it at the same low latency as a current SSD, with no moving parts. I'd love a 4TB 3.5" block of slower NAND in favor of a 4TB spinner.

Read that got me soooo excited.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

SourKraut posted:

They'll have to include some form of long term power source in them though since SSD's aren't as effective at long-term data storage as a HDD is.

whats the definition of long-term storage?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

replacing a 512gb nvme drive with a lovely platter drive and giving the laptop back to your workplace seems like a really slick way of fencing for money since most people wouldn't actually notice

lol

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Potato Salad posted:

That said, it takes a moment to heat the hell up. 7s continuous full load for 950 PRO and it starts to thermally throttle if memory serves correctly.

If you're loading that thing full bore continuously for more than 7s, though, you've got a fairly heroic use case. 960 EVOs fixed this issue somewhat with the Polaris controller and a minor heat-spreading feature. I'm not aware of throttling being an issue in the real world on high-quality nvme for home, game, and productivity users. Let me know if you find a good case though.

Would playing a game that is installed on a 960 EVO encounter heat problems?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BobHoward posted:

You know those oversized RAM heatsinks you see on popular overclocker memory? Same deal. Actually heats the memory up a bit compared to no heatsink at all. Turns out that filling all the space between DIMMs with metal (blocking all possibility of airflow, either forced or convection) is not good, even if there are fins sticking out the top.

i've seen some posts through google of people sticking on aftermarket heatsinks on m.2 NVME's, apparently those work pretty well.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
any reputable stores to buy heatsinks that would fit a 960 NVME?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

SlayVus posted:

So I think Intel Optane memory won't work in boards unless they specifically have a 22110 M.2 slot. All Z270 boards that are Intel Optane ready have at least 1 22110 M.2 slot and usually include a second 2280 M.2.

Is Intel Optane memory automatically enabled if I built my pc with an Intel 600p boot drive? I still don't exactly know what the heck it is or how to enable it or if it is enabled or whatever.

The website for my board does say it has Intel Optane memory.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-Z270-MARK-2/

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 4, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BIG HEADLINE posted:

People who buys ASRock's ~Supercarrier~ flagship board might be pissed, then - it has three M.2 slots, but all are 2280 only.

Ok, someone please explain wth is the point of this if it doesn't even work in Win10? I have to assume most anyone building a new pc is going to be using Windows 10 in 2017.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z270%20SuperCarrier/index.asp

quote:

Dual Intel® LAN
Users are able to connect two LAN cables to this motherboard's rear I/O. Dual LAN with Teaming function enabled on this motherboard allows two single connections to act as one single connection for twice the transmission bandwidth, making data transmission more effective.
* Teaming is not supported with Windows® 10.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dante80 posted:

Building a rig, want an M.2 for OS and some programs/games.

I am looking at those three.

960 EVO
960 PRO
MP500

Which one should I choose? I don't know much about them. Any other models to consider?

600p seems to be the best value. I have the 256GB one and its noticeably faster than the EVO 840 on bootup in my old computer.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Is the WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 2280 a good buy at $159.99 CAD sale price down from $379.99?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Klyith posted:

The "down from" isn't particularly special -- all SSDs are a lot cheaper than they used to be.

Looking at canada pcpartpicker, that's a pretty good price, only $10 more than the SN770.

Is "vuugo" a reputable store that you'd buy from? They have the Crucial P5 Plus for $130, which is the cheapest drive I'd put in the "performance" category. (The SN850X is faster in benchmarks, but not by a margin you'd notice in practice.) OTOH the P5 Plus is hot & uses more power than most drives, so I would not recommend it for a laptop.

I've never heard of vuugo I usually buy all my electronics from my local electronics/pc chain store Canada Computers.

edit: looks like Crucial P5 Plus $219 at Canada Computers

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Subjunctive posted:

I hope so because I bought a pair of them at that price from CC!

Yeah I just went and to grab 2 myself after I noticed there was also an extra 10 bucks off coupon per purchase on top of the sale. Basically I paid 149.99 CAD each before tax.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
What SATA SSD or M.2 NVME would be a good $/GB for mass storage in the 4TB range?

I guess the use case is I like downloading a lot of :filez: and transferring to external HDD's

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 10, 2023

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Instant Grat posted:

Is there a reason you need SSD storage specifically? 4TB is about the region where HDDs start to be massively cheaper than SSDs. I can only speak for prices here in Denmark, but a cursory glance shows even the cheapest 4TB SSD (a SATA-based Samsung QLC drive) being over twice as expensive as an equally capacitous HDD, internal or external.

Oh, nvm then, I kind of assumed since 1TB and 2TB have come down so much in prices lately that 4TB would be the same.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
If I use all the M.2 NVME slots in this board does it disable SATA or something like that?

ASUS TUF Gaming Z790-Plus WiFi LGA 1700

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_1842&item_id=233686

I really really like the idea of using all NVME but also want the option to still use SATA for extra storage, if needed, down the road.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I gotta say I'm a huuuge fan of only using NVME drives after finishing building my pc with 3 NVME's. Not having to deal with SATA cables and the SATA power cables is sooo awesome.

I just need to hunt down a decently priced/reliable 4TB NVME for mass storage since apparently Canada has a serious lack of options for 4TB NVME drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Kerbtree posted:

4TN sn850x is down to £244.99 on Amazon UK (-71%) which is basically in-line with the lowest it’s ever been.

down to 310 bucks at Canada Computers i just picked one up after work