Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I'm (finally) upgrading my whole PC - moving from my (ca. 2009) Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (it had an AMD 770 CPU slot, for reference) and upgrading to an Asus Z170A. I remember that when I originally bought my first SSD last year (Samsung 840) I had to do some BIOS setting changes to make it work properly with the SSD - I don't see anything about that in the new OP, is this no longer something I need to sweat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Ignoranus posted:

I'm (finally) upgrading my whole PC - moving from my (ca. 2009) Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (it had an AMD 770 CPU slot, for reference) and upgrading to an Asus Z170A. I remember that when I originally bought my first SSD last year (Samsung 840) I had to do some BIOS setting changes to make it work properly with the SSD - I don't see anything about that in the new OP, is this no longer something I need to sweat?

I'm just re-quoting myself in hopes of an answer on this one. I am assuming that it's more straightforward than it was with my old motherboard?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

metallicaeg posted:

Any Z170 board should default to AHCI

Excellent, thanks!