Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Don Lapre posted:

The X400 is so good enough its really hard for me to recommend the 850 evo anymore for people.

The one thing the EVO has going for it is - Note 7 fuckup aside - is that Sandisk didn't just get bought by Western Digital because they were too behind-the-times to catch a ride on the SSD train. Samsung's not going anywhere. Other than that, the drives are more than comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is the 850 EVO Samsung the same Samsung as the Note 7 Samsung?

The only thing they have in common is that the NAND for the Note 7 (not what made it explode) was made by the same people who make the EVO. I don't even know if Samsung made the batteries that made the Note 7s explode, and there's a chance the reason they did is that they went 'cheap and fast' to beat the iPhone 7 to market instead of 'slow, steady, and safe.'

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, except when something like this pops up:

...instead of a BSOD which actually gives you relevant information you can pass onto a tech or Google on your phone to figure out what part of your computer has potentially gone bad and how you might be able to easily fix it on your own without consulting a ~Genius~.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

nrook posted:

I'm sick of clearing space on my 128gb SSD, so I'm thinking of buying a 512gb Samsung evo. Am I being an idiot for buying a SATA SSD in 2016?

I looked at the Intel 600p, but my mobo is kind of old. I'd have to buy an m.2 adapter, and I only have PCIe 2.0 anyway. Plus booting into NVMe from an old motherboard appears to require loading weird homebrew bios modules, which sounds risky... But it feels bad to buy the old thing :/

Not at all. If anything, consumer OSes like Windows is tuned for SATA SSDs. NVMe is still in its infancy in the enthusiast space.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Samsung's starting a new game-inclusion promo: http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/watchdogs/

Anyone who's pre-ordered a 960 EVO or Pro from Samsung might want to contact them to retroactively have this included in their order. Newegg currently has the 500GB 850 EVO for $157.30 with this included. Expect an eBay value of ~$30-40, with the lower end being favored. Even 850s of every type and interface are valid.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

What is the best pick to use as an external SSD? I would use this mainly as a backup destination when travelling (so a few times per year) and it only needs to be about 250 Gb.

Samsung makes one (the T3) and as of recently you get a free Watch Dogs 2 code with it.

EDIT: Nevermind, they excluded the 250GB - you only get the code with the 500GB and up. It'll still fill your need and it's compact.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 6, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

So what's the difference between the Sandisk SSD Plus and the X400? Benchmarks online seem to indicate that the X400 has way better (80-250%) 4K read and mixed speeds for peak, average and ADQ but slower on every other benchmark, and the Plus is cheaper to boot. What should I go with? (It's only a 128gb for a work laptop)

The X400 is a far newer and well-reviewed drive. Get the X400 if the 850 EVO is too expensive for you. And to confuse you more, there's a Z400, too - but that drive is shittier, despite being 'one more up the alphabet.' You can't split hairs over SSD benchmarks - they're all 'fast enough' save for the BX200.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

Gotcha, and thank you. But if the benchmarks don't really matter since they're all "fast enough," what's the advantage to newer and well-reviewed? General reliability? I guess that can apply to the 850 vs X400 too. I know the "avoid these" drives are probably due to high failure rate, but if they're all relatively similar, then what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Yeah, general reliability. And the only thing that it comes down to really is "good brand/reliable record." That's why the 840 EVO knocked everyone for a loop - because we didn't expect Samsung to have cut corners like they did. If anything, their fuckup made the 850 EVO into a better (if slightly more expensive in build cost to avoid more bad publicity) drive.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

Thanks for the info! lol didn't realize the 840 EVO was considered a gently caress-up, both me and my father use those for our daily workhorses and they've been problem-free since we got them a couple years back.

With the most recent firmware, they're fine. If you haven't updated them, you might want to. EXT0DB6Q is the most recent.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

nitsuga posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Sandisk drive (256 GB). How does the Ultra II compare to the X400? Is there going to be any noticeable difference between the two?

You won't notice the slightest bit of difference, but get the X400. It's newer - the Ultra II's been around since 2014 (and undergone a few revisions since), while the X400 is a 2016 drive.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

B-Nasty posted:

The general answer to this is: no. Day-to-day, seat-of-pants performance will not be noticeably better with a NVMe-based SSD.

There are workloads that could potentially benefit from the added speed, but currently, for most people, these drives aren't worth the price premium for anything other than e-peen bragging rights.

Anyone investing in an NVMe drive should be doing so knowing they're an 'early adopter.' In 6-9 months the marketplace will be *flush* with them and competition will inevitably drive prices down. It also doesn't help that as general purpose storage drives, OSes still need to be optimized for HDDs. SSDs 'choke' on very small sub-4K files, and NVMe drives are no different. The best analogy is pitting a Hyundai Elantra, a V6 Honda Accord, and a Z06 Corvette on the same line and measuring how long it takes all three to go ten feet.

NVMe drives can be beneficial for boot times and handling massive textures in games - the faster you can allow storage, CPU, and GPU to inter-communicate, the better, but PCIe-linked storage is still in its infancy. Doesn't mean you shouldn't shy away from getting a board with an M.2 slot, though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Disregard - not a great deal at all.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

everythingWasBees posted:

130 is more than I can really afford to spend (120 is pushing it and is a hard upper limit,) but 256 for $80 looks pretty doable. Not going to be putting many games or anything on it, and I still have a 500GB drive for documents and such. That seem decent for the price?

11 days to Black Friday. Just sayin'.

Also, the 500GB 850 EVO currently comes with a Watch Dogs 2 code you should be able to unload for ~$30.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 15, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So evidently Newegg is going to have the 1TB 850 EVO up for sale for $250 on Black Friday. That'll sell out in seconds. =/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

I think that is the same price MicroCenter will have on Black Friday and they will include a code for Watch Dogs 2.

Every seller includes a code for WD2. It's being handled by Samsung, not the retailers. But it only starts at 500GB and up.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

DXT0AB0Q is what my Magician says is the most recent.

You have to download a ~special tool~ to get DB6Q: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/samsung_840_evo_performance_restoration_tool.html

It takes quite a bit longer than a normal firmware update, so don't get nervous.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 18, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

You have the most recent firmware for your drive, which is a Samsung 840. This is a different model drive from the Samsung 840 EVO.

Ah, my apologies - yeah, you're current with a non-EVO 840. I just take solace in the fact that if you'd tried to run the PRT it would have told you that you didn't have an EVO, and I wouldn't have been responsible for bricking your drive. :ohdear:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

priznat posted:

It has probably been discussed earlier but how are the WD SATA SSDs? X400 still the better buy on the budget side? Seeing some pretty nice $/GB sales on them and wondering if I see a black friday door crasher if it'd be worth it.

Looking to get a 500GB-1TB for a games/steam drive.

The WD Blue and X400 each use the Marvell 88SS1074 and Sandisk 15nm NAND. The difference is that the X400 is warrantied for five years while all stripes of the WD Blue are warrantied for three. Other than that they appear to (a little more or less) be the exact same drive: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10741/the-western-digital-blue-1tb-ssd-review

EDIT: Seeing as the X400 is 5y and 512GB and the WD Blue is 3y and 500GB, it doesn't seem like a contest to me which is the better drive, especially when the X400 is currently a few bucks cheaper on Newegg.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 19, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I had to resist the temptation to use a 10% Newegg code (tied to my account, or I'd have given it away) to buy one of those snazzy Plextor M8Pe drives and fill a PCIe adapter I've had uselessly sitting around for months. I relented because:

1) The $250 850 EVO on BF is a much better use of my money, provided I can snag one in the seconds before it gets sold out.
2) The 256GB version of the M8Pe is gimped with regards to I/O compared to the 512GB.
3) Can't boot from it since I'm still rocking a Z68, and it wouldn't have performed at full speed.
4) Would've only put non-Steam games on it that could slightly benefit from the faster seeks/speeds.
5) Despite being able to get it for $107 and change, I've a feeling in six months 256GB NVMe drives will be rather cheap and the Socket 2099 board I get for my six-core Sky-X in 2H17 might have 2-4 M.2 slots, and I could use a 256GB M.2 as a damned paging file/cache drive.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 20, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I also find this page way easier to follow than a general 'deal' website, plus you can filter by preferred item on the right hand side: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/new/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

So I have a question.

My stepfather wants to add either the 960 PRO or 960 EVO to his P50 workstation.

However, the following article gives me pause:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Can-I-add-a-Samsung-950-Pro-NVMe-SSD-to-my-P50-ThinkPad/ta-p/3459369

To what extent do I, and by extension he, need to be worried about the lack of NVMe device power management and NVMe device thermal management?

The 960s incorporate a copper heatspreader layer on the backside to handle thermals better.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

So the laptop will see the NVMe drive and the lack of "device power management" and "device thermal management" will not, to your knowledge, cause any issues?

It shouldn't - even if it does get warm, they're designed to throttle themselves, and even throttled they'll offer better performance than an SATA SSD.

Here's proof that the 950 Pro works in the P50: http://mikefrobbins.com/2016/03/10/upgrade-to-ssd-hard-drives-in-a-lenovo-thinkpad-p50/

I can't promise that it'll be glitch-free - NVMe is still a rather new 'thing,' and I've never personally used one myself.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

I would assume any great SSD deals will be posted here? I am looking to pick up a relatively big cap SSD on black friday.

These are Newegg's not-live-yet SSD deals:

SanDisk SSD Plus 240GB Solid State Drive for $59.99
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Solid State Drive (SSD) $219.99
Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 1TB Solid State Drive (SSD) $249.99

Obviously the latter one is the :stare: one that everyone's eying. I've a feeling at ~3am tonight and/or tomorrow everyone's going to be :f5:ing the gently caress out of Newegg. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to snag it, but I've already registered my AMEX card for the $25 off 200 promo so hopefully I can score it for $225 instead of $250.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'm not counting on the discounted EVOs including the game code - if they do, it's gravy, but the reviews of WD2 aren't that stellar.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Seamonster posted:

Why isn't there a 2 TB 950 Evo?

$999 sell a shitton of 'em easy.

The 960 Pro comes in sizes up to 2TB. Samsung wants $1299 for it. It'll be $999 in six months when other companies have 2TB NVMe drives in channel, but seeing as Samsung's the only game in town for high-capacity NVMe, they want $1299 for it now.

The 960 EVO tops out at 1TB (or rather, .977TB).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 24, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The PM851 is an OEM mSATA drive, not an M.2 drive. It's an mSATA 850 EVO that doesn't say 850 EVO on it so they can bulk sell them to system builders for cheaper than they sell retail drives to us.

This is why M.2 is going to be a clusterfuck to get people to adopt and understand it...mSATA looks enough like it to confuse a lot of people, and even if they have a 1-2 year old laptop or PC with an M.2 slot, some/most older slots are keyed for SATA only, older NVMe slots might/will only provide two lanes' worth of bandwidth (like Z77s and Z97s), and try explaining to people with 2500K systems that even though they bought a PCIe adapter, that they can't *boot* from their brand new M.2 drive because they're tied to AHCI.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Furism posted:

How good or bad is the Crucial - CT750MX300SSD1?

The 750 GB version is up on Amazon for 129€ and that sounds like a really good bargain because I need a new one (even though I wish it was the 1 TB on sale) so I'm really considering this model.

Probably the best review you'll find: http://www.storagereview.com/crucial_mx300_ssd_review

TL;DR: It's an SSD with middle-of-the-road performance that equals the 850 EVO in some important areas, but is kind of all over the map in others. The biggest knock to it is a three-year warranty and 220 TBW rating. By comparison the 1TB 850 EVO gives you five years and 300TBW on the 1TB SKU.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Canadian stores trying to glom onto Black Friday is the most hilarious thing.

Black Frid-eh.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arcturas posted:

Cross-posting from the Windows 10 thread:
Is there a recommended procedure for migrating Windows to a new SSD from an older HD? I've got a 2 TB WD hard drive, and just bought a 525 GB Crucial MX 300. My current partition has about 1TB of crap on it, so I don't think I can just mirror it over. Do I create a recovery drive & then reinstall from that? Do I use the recovery drive to do a clean install (and cry when I try and find my MS Office CD keys and have to reinstall all my other poo poo?)?

In regards to product keys, you don't need to go paper-spelunking, just use this: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

As for cloning, uninstall things (namely games, after backing up the save files, if applicable), try to get down to ~450GB, then follow this link (it seems Crucial has a deal with Acronis that uses your drive's serial number/info as a registration): http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Using-Acronis-True-Image-HD-2015/ta-p/171023

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 27, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I still wish there was an incentive for a company to put out an SSD that just gave ~300/300 MB/sec performance (just enough to saturate an SATA II connection), so we could start killing off spinners altogether. I know the reason we *don't* have it yet is that there's no incentive to specifically develop *slower* NAND, but a 300/300 SSD at high capacities would not only give people with older computers a way to transition entirely to a single large SSD, but also give everyone else a perfectly workable Steam/Storage drive with SSD seek times.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Sorry, Mario...the performance you were expecting is only available in *newer* castles!"

Everyone with an older laptop with only an SATA M.2, and Z97 users whose M.2 slots will only provide two PCIe lanes should get this message every time they benchmark.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

B-Nasty posted:

This probably didn't help, but at least for the 850 EVO, I think it's just Samsung/retailers milking the high demand. When you have the #1 rated, #1 fastest, and #1 best selling SATA drive, there's really little motivation to drop prices any faster than they are falling for SSDs in general. This Camelcamelcamel chart shows the 500GB 850 EVO, where it's clear that the Black Friday to Cyber Monday pricing was just a short blip. The price has returned to the standard level.

Yeah, I didn't really *need* the 1TB EVO sitting on top of my computer at the moment, but I couldn't pass up 1TB for $225, since I'm pretty sure it won't hit that again for quite some time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

RME posted:

i got a 1TB 850 Evo to supplant/add to my current 500GB model during black friday that i havent installed yet
is cloning really worth the extra overhead to replace it as the boot drive or should i just put it in and call it a day since i already have an SSD there anyways

Not really, but the 1TB EVO *does* have the same controller chip as the Pro (the MEX instead of the MGX), it has 1GB of DRAM buffer to the 500GB's 512MB. Same speed and IOPS, though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

For those of you who have a 960 EVO/Pro or SM951, Samsung put out a new driver today that should net you some extra performance: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/samsung-nvme-ssd-driver-download.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too bad they didn't post a benchmark of how a single SSD fares in these "tests".

To be fair, the video is from 2011. So my guess is ~350MB/sec.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

So hey, how do WD Blue SSD drives check out for reliability these days?Apparently dell is letting them go for 20$

250 for 20$

model number checks out from newegg

Thoughts? Apparently it will let you order up to ten of them.

They're the SanDisk X400 in another case. Just FYI, though, people are already all over this. They're already trying to resell on eBay before even having the drive in hand.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lovable Luciferian posted:

What is the current drive of choice for NVMe on a budget?

The Intel 600p and/or the Plextor M8 series. I'd highly recommend going with the heatsinked version of the Plextor. Toshiba and OCZ also make a decent drive.

There'll be a ton of new drives in the next six months, though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tom's Hardware did a 4KB failure/stress test on the 512GB 600p: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-ssd-600p-nvme-endurance-testing,4826.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay, so I got my new Dell 3000 and was hoping to put an SSD in it, but the internal layout is a bit odd to say the least. There's some PCIE x1 slots free though, would they be any use in adding an ssd to the computer? I was looking at adaptors like these for example:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124167&cm_re=ssd_adaptor-_-15-124-167-_-Product
Which you plug an m.2 ssd into Ooops this one's an X4 slot.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1JM33B7846&cm_re=ssd_adaptor-_-9SIA1JM33B7846-_-Product
Or just mount the drive onto the card.

Is there anything I should consider before getting one of these?

What's the *exact* model number? Dell's made a lot of '3000-series' desktops in its life span. 2.5" SSDs can honestly be duct taped anywhere unless we're talking about the 3000 All-in-One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, except I still have to counsel going with just a 2.5" SATA III SSD, seeing as you have the ports and even a space for it in the case, going by that image.

It's also not guaranteed that even if you went with an M.2>PCIe adapter if the board/BIOS will support booting from an NVMe drive. If you're worried about laying the cable over/near your GPU - there's no worry, there's no way any GPU that came with that thing is ever going to get warm enough to damage a cable, even if you dropped a 1050Ti in.