Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Nevermind, I think I need to do some more research first...

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

HMS Boromir posted:

Not an 850 EVO, but a similar comparison. There's a stark bottleneck in sequential read/write:

...but you'll still get a huge improvement in random read/write over a HDD:

In particular, I believe 4K random reads are the most important metric for general Windows application performance, and that's where the 3 GB/s limits you the least. Besides, you're presumably going to upgrade your 5 year old computer before you replace the SSD anyway, so you might as well pick up an 850 EVO.

EDIT: I guess you retracted your question, but hopefully this is still useful?

Sorry about that! For the sake of record, the question was that I had an older computer with the Sata 3Gb/s and I was wondering if the bottleneck is significant enough to factor in.

Thank you for the info! I will need to think on this.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am also guessing even with the throttling, the SSD will still be faster than my current HHD?

If that is the case, then I may as well take the plunge.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I noticed that there were PCI Express cards that could provide Sata 3 slots. Is it not a bad idea to take advantage of that?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finally got an 850 EVO. Once I got everything set up and turned on AHCI, starting up windows now works like a dream. Can't determine game speed loadup though: Most of my (Steam) games are off on a partition on my HDD, and the one game I had that was on my main disk partition (Witcher 3) stopped working after I copied it over to the SSD, and hasn't been working even though I redownloaded it. I am using GOG Galaxy though, and I am suspecting it is just that program being a piece of poo poo. I will get a copy of the game from GOG itself sometime today. I can say that WoW felt a bit snappier loading though.

I know everyone says to ignore the OS optimizations in Magician, but what is this RAPID mode thing? I can't use it since I am on Windows 10, and apparently they do not offer support for it, yet. Is it actually useful?

EDIT: Moved my Overwatch install to the SSD. Before, when I start up the game, maps take a while to load, and even when they did, character models are not loaded in yet. Now I load up before everyone else. I'd call this an improvement :)

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 1, 2016

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So apparently the new Xbox will come with an SSD for storage, but will also use the SSD as virtual RAM. Won't that burn out the drive that much faster, or am I misunderstanding something here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Finally got fed up with playing musical chairs with my games on my 500 GB SSD boot drive and got a 2TB WB Black 850X. Installation was surprisingly painless with a magnetic screwdriver.

EDIT: welp I may have made a mistake because for whatever god forsaken reason, my motherboard (ASUS Prime B360 Plus. In my defense it was my first PC that I built) has the ‘faster’ m2 slot behind my graphics card. Apparently the difference is 4x vs 2x but my PCI Express version is 3.0 so I don’t know how it will even out.

Still I will go ahead and try to install it there after my computer cools down a bit.

EDIT2: Okay, got it installed in the alternate m2 slot and it says that it is using the 4 lanes so I think it is as good as it will get. I will keep an eye on it to see if it does not overheat, given the proximity to my GPU, though it is also near the GPU fans so maybe it will even out.

In conclusion, a magnet tipped screwdriver set is a really good investment.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 4, 2024