Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

Oh, it sounds a lot like the quaint little town of grinnell, iowa - been there, done that.

Would rather live in Grinnell than Boston.

Also Grinnell gets props for being in a few Heinlein novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Extry extry, SA Forums user Jastiger compares location in Iowa favorably against location outside Iowa, read all about it

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

I have, and it's great. Good food and they do some crazy poo poo with Framinghammer there that you can't get anywhere else. The mole one :swoon:

Oh a word of warning, Jastiger, Jack's Abby is the only thing worth seeing in Framingham. JakeP knows what I'm talking about. :v:

You aren't lying. Its just bars and Brazilians in Framingham. We did have 2 bars featured on season 1 of bar rescue though

loquacius posted:

Regal Beagle's chef went on Top Chef during the Boston season and was thoroughly unremarkable on it

Which makes sense because you eat there and are like "yeah this food is pretty good but I don't feel the urge to award the person who cooked it a million dollars or whatever"

also right. I went there once for a work lunch meeting, and was stoked to try their homeade infused vodka bloody mary, but then the client we met with was pregnant so we didnt get drinks :(

food was okay i guess, I should have got the fish tacos though

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

loquacius posted:

Oh, Allstonchat reminds me. Merry Allston Christmas everyone :sassargh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91MczG9c3WU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

Extry extry, SA Forums user Jastiger compares location in Iowa favorably against location outside Iowa, read all about it

You knew whose thread you were posting in

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

This is exactly what I was hoping it would be

*lives near a bunch of good restaurants, is right near a big college* wooo a homeless man haha gross just another day in the ghetto I'm so cultured

Allston isn't so much a "ghetto" as it is "dirty and smells bad, full of people who like to feel like they're Roughing It In The Tough Area but still want vape stores/weed pipe stores/yogatendo zumba studios"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i was in boston last weekend. let me tell you all about it!

step 1: reach storrow drive
step 2: gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress
step 3: reach hotel
step 4: meet up with friends, smoke a j on the street, see a show at house of blues
step 5: next day see museum and a red sox game
step 6: leave in early morning

so on balance it was pretty great but seriously gently caress driving in boston what a loving mess that is i'm still discombobulated

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yeah rule #1 of boston is do not drive in the city

I refused to drive in other urban cores on principle for a while because that was just a basic fact I was aware of from childhood and figured it was the same there

Which tbf it is in some other cities but not all. (see: manhattan)

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
if you do drive in boston make sure to use copious amounts of hand signals (middle fingers) and verbal prompts ("get out of the road you fuckin pussy"), be aware that all stop signs and red lights are "stoptionals" and should be treated as yellow lights and know that no street is ever really only one way.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Its not a real city if you can drive in it

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

garfield hentai posted:

Allston isn't so much a "ghetto" as it is "dirty and smells bad, full of people who like to feel like they're Roughing It In The Tough Area but still want vape stores/weed pipe stores/yogatendo zumba studios"

When I lived there (2006-2008) there weren't quite so many trendy locales like that and more of your standard bodegas selling loosie cigarettes and a huge really cheap liquor store on the corner of harvard ave and... I don't remember. But it had a pretty bleak atmosphere overall.

I do remember hearing about some big BU party down the street from where I lived one time where somebody fell off the roof of a four or five story apartment building and died. So there was that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Secular Humanist posted:

When I lived there (2006-2008) there weren't quite so many trendy locales like that and more of your standard bodegas selling loosie cigarettes and a huge really cheap liquor store on the corner of harvard ave and... I don't remember. But it had a pretty bleak atmosphere overall.

I do remember hearing about some big BU party down the street from where I lived one time where somebody fell off the roof of a four or five story apartment building and died. So there was that!

Yeah I think in 08 Deep Ellum was the only cool trendy place, now there are fifty asian froyo places and vegan places and "gastropubs". Remember Twin Donut, the big dingy rear end donut place that looked like it hadn't been renovated in 50 years? Even they recently got a makeover and looks slick and modern now (and got shut down for a while by the board of health right after reopening lol)

Blanchard McPuppystomper's liquor store's still there and unchanged though

• Locked thread