Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Luna Was Here posted:

So what's the solution to for-profit medical care? Putting it all under the government? And can't most of these drugs be imported from Europe or are the high profile ones (namely the insulin and the epi-pens) only made by the specific companies that are jacking the prices up?

Not immediately or all at once, and probably not eventually directly under the government. My assumption is that it would end up as a government corporation, a la the Post Office. Generally speaking, it starts with getting single payer healthcare, where insurance companies mostly gently caress off and die and the government pays for your healthcare through taxes (i.e. what all of the First World besides us has), combined with direct price controls on drug companies. That in and of itself is a huge political battle in the US because conservatives know that once universal healthcare goes through they'll never get rid of it and their opposition to it will make the deeply unpopular. Past that is the great unknown.

I have no clue about importing drugs but I imagine patent law plays a big part in it.

Edit: forums user BI NOW GAY LATER is way better at explaining this than me and he had a great post about it in the last thread I might be able to find when I wake up. Basically full government control of the healthcare system is the end goal, but also probably a super long term pipe dream. The immediate short term goal is to turn ACA (Obamacare) into what is commonly referred to as the public option, or essentially the option to forgo private insurance and let the government pay for it for you. If we manage that, the public option would naturally kill off a lot of insurance companies (who can't compete with a non-profit) and trend us towards full single payer.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

VitalSigns posted:

Oh boy we're going to plunge down the rabbit hole of solipsism to justify a claim that not believing in your religion is 'faith', I can't wait.

"But how do you know that telescope you're looking through even exists?.... Because you have faith?? :smugdog:" :smirks freshmanly:

Well, technically we can't prove that we aren't all brains in jars either, etc.

Welcome to philosophy 101 class, let's have some fascinating discussions about epistemology.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

(i.e. what all of the First World besides us has)

Not even close to true. But it would be nice

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Not even close to true. But it would be nice

Is that so? I was told we're the only industrialized nation in the world that doesn't have public universal healthcare. Who else doesn't? Or are we getting into weird stuff like whatever the Swiss have?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
A friend of mine told me that Trump claimed that 80 percent of all white homicide victims were killed by black people but I don't see anything in the news about it. Surely my friend is mistaken and he didn't say anything that egregiously stupid did he?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

Is that so? I was told we're the only industrialized nation in the world that doesn't have public universal healthcare. Who else doesn't? Or are we getting into weird stuff like whatever the Swiss have?

Netherlands and Switzerland off hand, plus I'm Irish and we have "universal healthcare" only in the sense that all adults over a certain age must have private insurance (Obamacare-ish) plus the public option is dire for many common procedures. This is not unusual among European states I believe

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Netherlands and Switzerland off hand, plus I'm Irish and we have "universal healthcare" only in the sense that all adults over a certain age must have private insurance (Obamacare-ish) plus the public option is dire for many common procedures. This is not unusual among European states I believe

Interesting. Also some combination of pathetic and depressing.

gently caress private healthcare, so loving much. I'm especially salty about this now because my dad officially has to take insulin for his diabetes now, woo!

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

A friend of mine told me that Trump claimed that 80 percent of all white homicide victims were killed by black people but I don't see anything in the news about it. Surely my friend is mistaken and he didn't say anything that egregiously stupid did he?

He tweeted an image with grossly wrong and false statistics.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/nov/23/donald-trump/trump-tweet-blacks-white-homicide-victims/

(I believe the actual statistics is Black on white homocide is 14%. Most murders are intraracial (you are more likely to be murdered by a person of your race[and by someone you actually know]).

*edit-- update statistic in the article says 15% in 2015. I was recalling the one from 2011.

Svanja fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 1, 2016

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Republicans aren't stupid enough to shutdown government a month before the election, right?

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Why doesn't anyone talk about the real scourge of white-on-white crime?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Donkwich posted:

Why doesn't anyone talk about the real scourge of white-on-white crime?
Because white-collar criminals don't go to prison.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm glad I was out running errands when Trump was in Mexico seeing as that was a head fake and he went back to being Trump in his Arizona speech.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

dicks assassin posted:

Republicans aren't stupid enough to shutdown government a month before the election, right?

Probably not, but they might try to get cute and gently caress up.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

dicks assassin posted:

They did it once before immsure that at least a few will try to do it again

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, how does this work for a citizen?

Not very well, as you can imagine. Fail the paper bag test, get shipped off to a foreign country and it's up to you to prove your way back. It's happened a few timesonce when ICE fucks up particularly badly.

Shockingly this never happens to a be-suited wallstreet investor, it happens to the most vulnerable mentally disabled homeless people on the street.

Edit: in case you thought I was kidding.

E2: I thought there were more cases. I mixed up "citizens were brought in and detained" with "were actually deported" numbers.

Harik fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 1, 2016

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
These threads can be fun when there is something in the news to talk about like trump.

These derails into trigger warnings and religion 101 are rather off putting.

The one thing I am surprised with is the acknowledgement of the term alt right by the "main stream media" and the Clinton campaign.

Would have thing the spot light on these groups grow or shrink them? Could it grant them legitimacy?

The other thing I worry about is the state of the democratic party. Trump is very toxic to non whites and is basically driving them to the dems because of our two party system. But if you take away the enemy of my enemy, stuff can they keep it together to get some problems solved.

This has been on mind since the Orlando shooting.

Conservatives: "a member of a group I hate shot up members of another group I hate....I have mixed feelings about this"

Liberals: "a member of a group I support shot up members of another group I support.....I have mixed feelings about this"

If the GOP wants to get in the white house they are gonna have to find a different wedge to peel off democratic voters, conversationally the democratic party is gonna have to find a way to keep its support when we dont have the evil orange man yelling about poo poo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

max4me posted:

Liberals: "a member of a group I support shot up members of another group I support.....I have mixed feelings about this"

I don't think mass shooters or ISIS sympathizers are groups liberals support :confused:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Knight posted:

Generally speaking, it starts with getting single payer healthcare, where insurance companies mostly gently caress off and die and the government pays for your healthcare through taxes (i.e. what all of the First World besides us has), combined with direct price controls on drug companies.

Germany and France: not first world countries

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

max4me posted:

The one thing I am surprised with is the acknowledgement of the term alt right by the "main stream media" and the Clinton campaign.

Would have thing the spot light on these groups grow or shrink them? Could it grant them legitimacy?
It's possible in the long term it might make those groups have more notoriety that encourages more people to join them. It's hard to know at this point. I get why Clinton did that to tie him to extreme people, but the average person has no clue what 'alt-right' means and I doubt it will be significant in the end politically.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

max4me posted:

If the GOP wants to get in the white house they are gonna have to find a different wedge to peel off democratic voters, conversationally the democratic party is gonna have to find a way to keep its support when we dont have the evil orange man yelling about poo poo.
First, the GOP cannot peel off minority Democratic votes because any attempt to do so would require softening the ur-Fascism that binds together their coalition of racist whites. The last guy to attempt this was W, who tried to court the Hispanic vote with immigration reform only to be rebuffed by his hate driven party base. Second, Trump is an anomaly but the GOP were never going to win this election simply due to demographics, which get worse for team red every day. They've painted themselves into the alt right corner and they're sitting there screaming out whitesplanations at the top of their lungs wondering why these stupid blacks just don't get how good the GOP would be for them.

The only way the republicans get the white house again is by completely tearing down the Southern Strategy and starting over, but that's effectively destroying the party anyway. They're hosed.

Also, gently caress the idea that liberals are 'torn' on violence.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/771291820882071552

:stare:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/771298236376178688

tbf he doesn't say WHO is making big progress

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

max4me posted:

The other thing I worry about is the state of the democratic party. Trump is very toxic to non whites and is basically driving them to the dems because of our two party system. But if you take away the enemy of my enemy, stuff can they keep it together to get some problems solved.

This has been on mind since the Orlando shooting.

Conservatives: "a member of a group I hate shot up members of another group I hate....I have mixed feelings about this"

Trump isn't an existential threat to non-whites that is driving them into a temporarily partnership with Democrats. The GOP as a whole is doing that, and the Democratic Party is becoming more and more reliant on and composed by minorities. Trump is definitely driving up turnout, but unless the GOP actually jettisons the the Southern Strategy they've been desperately trying to hide for decades, minorities are not going to come flocking back to the GOP. Given the wise insight into race that the GOP has been displaying, I expect 2017 rebuilding to be built on Taco Tuesdays and Soul Food Sundays, as presented by rich old white people pretending not to be double checking their car lock every time the attendees walk by.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

ZobarStyl posted:

Also, gently caress the idea that liberals are 'torn' on violence.

Whats Hillary Clinton's position on the death penalty again
(just as one example)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Is this for the one district that sometimes goes blue or the entire state?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The entire state as far as I can tell.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The entire state, I think. I'm going to just imagine it's an outlier because this state is full of shitters outside Omaha, and still pretty shitter-heavy inside the city.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

According to the 538 data placement, it's statewide.

Will we finally have an election map that lets you drive up and down the coasts and across the country without ever having to enter a red state?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The only violence liberals seem categorically against is violence against property in a protest from what I've seen

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gyges posted:

Will we finally have an election map that lets you drive up and down the coasts and across the country without ever having to enter a red state?

Yeah and I-80 goes through Nebraska

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Remember: Reuters changed their entire methodology recently and it's been showing insane poo poo like Hillary down 14 in New Hampshire while up 7 in Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvannia, and showing her suddenly losing 12 points to be losing Michigan while gaining 18 to be winning Nebraska.

Something is seriously wrong with their polls.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If the rhetoric and coverage don't reflect reality why should the polls?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Gyges posted:

I will laugh forever if the election map ends up a giant, blue 'H' across the country.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Trump isn't an existential threat to non-whites that is driving them into a temporarily partnership with Democrats. The GOP as a whole is doing that, and the Democratic Party is becoming more and more reliant on and composed by minorities. Trump is definitely driving up turnout, but unless the GOP actually jettisons the the Southern Strategy they've been desperately trying to hide for decades, minorities are not going to come flocking back to the GOP. Given the wise insight into race that the GOP has been displaying, I expect 2017 rebuilding to be built on Taco Tuesdays and Soul Food Sundays, as presented by rich old white people pretending not to be double checking their car lock every time the attendees walk by.

I am going to assume you mean minorities as in (none whites).

my concern comes from the fact that minorities are not a monolithic bloc, and I doubt there is much solidarity between all the different groups.

I've talked about my retarded fox news watching friend in other threads.

But he likes to say "Mexican, Blacks, and Muslims are really conservatives they just dont know it but yeah they are if you look at social issues like gay marriage, etc you know blacks are very religious etc"

He does this when I point out how his team lost with mittens.

I tried to point out how condescending he sounded and now that I think about it the whole TRUMP

"What do you blacks have to lose by voting for me, you lot is awful under obama it will be awful under crooked Hillary"

looks more like a another version of "you silly people are really on our side your just too stupid to know it"

The southern strategy worked on a level of adding abstraction to the mix, hence the adopting of economic polices to hurt poor black more than whites.

If you rebuke the white nationalism and just put a spin on conservatism as an ideology to appeal to different blocks of voters. Remember Goldwater hated the new conservatism under regan, which is very different than what we see today.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

rscott posted:

Whats Hillary Clinton's position on the death penalty again
(just as one example)

Basically that states have proven themselves unable to implement it and either the states themselves or SCOTUS should abolish it. She waffles on the federal death penalty, saying that it's appropriate for certain, very rare cases - Oklahoma City, for one.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/us/politics/transcript-of-the-democratic-presidential-debate.html

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

max4me posted:

I am going to assume you mean minorities as in (none whites).

my concern comes from the fact that minorities are not a monolithic bloc, and I doubt there is much solidarity between all the different groups.

I've talked about my retarded fox news watching friend in other threads.

But he likes to say "Mexican, Blacks, and Muslims are really conservatives they just dont know it but yeah they are if you look at social issues like gay marriage, etc you know blacks are very religious etc"

He does this when I point out how his team lost with mittens.

I tried to point out how condescending he sounded and now that I think about it the whole TRUMP

"What do you blacks have to lose by voting for me, you lot is awful under obama it will be awful under crooked Hillary"

looks more like a another version of "you silly people are really on our side your just too stupid to know it"

The southern strategy worked on a level of adding abstraction to the mix, hence the adopting of economic polices to hurt poor black more than whites.

If you rebuke the white nationalism and just put a spin on conservatism as an ideology to appeal to different blocks of voters. Remember Goldwater hated the new conservatism under regan, which is very different than what we see today.

How do they believably try to about face re: minority outreach without starting Tea Party 2: eclectic biggot loons?

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

The sample size of the be Nebraska poll is only 136, putting the margin of error at about 7%. It's really not worth the effort to speculate further.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

max4me posted:

Short term it grows them as racists that weren't in the know learn about them.

Long term it screws them because a lot of the reason they were getting traction is there was no sustained and organized denouncement of their lovely views, leading to a steady creeping spread of acceptability as a bunch of people embodied to bystander effect thinking "well I really don't agree with that but nobody else seems upset so i guess it is OK to say these sorts of things".

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The biggest surprise for me is how small the sample size is for some of these polls. I thought a small poll was about 10k, not 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't think the New York Times could be telegraphing their debate coverage stronger. Apparently they believe the standard for a presidential candidate is less than a retail employee if not using an ethnic slur and being able to read off a card is good enough. What an embarrassment.

Like this is not fit for a middle school election New York Times.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 1, 2016

• Locked thread