Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Legit wondering if I should grab a six pack and finish the season where I left off.

Peaced out right after Laurel's last words were "Felicity is so much better than me, go put your dick in her some more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My larger problem with catching up is that I also bailed on Flash and Legends of Tomorrow. So this is a bit like committing to Angel and Buffy if both sucked.

I gave up on Legends of Tomorrow when we got to vampire bats, and peaced out of The Flash when they totally let the one good thing (the funny, likable detective) just walk out of the narrative for no good reason.

I should still stay away, right?

Man, this sounds like my posts in the old Drugs forum. That are apparently not in existence any more. What the hell, SA?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'm hoping that with the theme of this season being to bring the show full circle that Prometheus is related to someone Oliver murdered in season 1.

That'd be a good twist on Prometheus too. I'd hop back on the Arrow train but the first half of season 4 was great and then the show fell fantastically apart

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So um... trying to get caught up on Season 4 since I heard that things have gotten much better.

I'm picking up where I left off, with Laurel's death.

How the heck does Malcolm fight with a hand? Didn't Oliver chop it off earlier?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Finally caught up with season 4, after quitting last year thanks to Laurel's death. And maybe it was just my lowered expectations, but the remaining episodes were... good? certainly not dull. The underground city stuff was delightfully bonkers, Dahrk chewed more scenery, and there was at least real attempts at coherent arcs for everyone.

But drat, Laurel's death is still such a black mark on the show. Just totally unnecessary and pointless. Also totally degrading to her character to not even give her a great moment of sacrifice. she's just killed because Dahrk has a vendetta against Quentin.

Its like they saw all of their mistakes they made with Sara, atoned for them by bringing Sara back and giving her her own show - and then made the exact same mistake with Laurel.

Also, "Felicity is disabled no just kidding" is in contention with "ANCIENT CHINESE MAGIC HERBS" as the dumbest drat things the show has ever done.

About to start the latest season.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So did this season somehow get a new stunt coordinator and/or a bigger budget? Because holy drat, these are the best fight scenes in years.

Just watched the stardust episode. Great googly moogly, that was fantastic.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah they've got to have one hell of a reveal for Prometheus.

I thought for a while it was Adrian Chase, with the vigilante link a red herring.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oliver may not connect the dots that Talia is another one of Rhas Al Ghul's daughters.

For those not watching Legends of Tomorrow, they've had League of Assassins Battle Royale with Sarah fighting Damien Dahrk and Malcolm Merlyn. :)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

On the one hand, substituting in a new Canary is so blatant and sloppy. Killing off Laurel, a character the show spent three seasons investing in, still feels like an obvious and cowardly way to go.

But drat, y'all. The show has earned so much goodwill this year, and Dinah has a natural chemistry that really works with the show's new "Dark but Not Super Dark" tone.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

We all know Tommy Merlyn made her scream more than Oliver.

But... it wasn't RADIOACTIVE

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It kinda reminded me of the West Wing episode where Toby singlehandedly solves social security funding off-screen.

I'm happy the show tried this out, and I wouldn't hate it if they did the occasional mayoral subplot that tentatively dipped into political waters.

But I laughed entirely too hard at the lady who said ALL REGISTRIES ARE BAD and then shrugged and went "Yup, this works!" once shown the magical legislation. Such a goober.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I REALLY liked this episode. Just another solid entry in a very strong season.

I mean, sure, China White and Cupid were largely wasted.

But the character stuff really clicked, especially with the grace notes between Lance and Drake. And I liked that we were reminded that Thea was still very much raised by Mr. and Mrs. Queen. Malcolm is literally the worst person in the Arrowverse, and I'm so happy that Thea is more than MERLYN DAUGHTER for once.

I left the show because they killed off Laurel and it left such a bad taste in my mouth. And then heard this season was great. I still stand by that Laurel's end was handled terribly, with her portrayed as nothing more than another plot point for Quentin to grieve. We spent so much time building her up, and Cassady tried so hard to sell the character.

But drat. Dinah is so good. So effortless.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That original Question run is friggin brilliant. It pushes superhero grimness so hard and yet it never feels too much or forced - its just how this own horrible city operates.

Really, its hard to go wrong with the Question. The JLU version is rightly praised, but you could also go with Rucka's version of the character too and still have a great time.

He/She's a natural fit for Arrow's world and I have to imagine the Charlton Comics baggage is the only reason we haven't seen them.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm eagerly awaiting Ragman's unexpected return, saving the whole team like a badass out of nowhee.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Variety reports that Black Siren will be a series regular next year.

Which means there's a drat good chance they're about to throw Dinah Drake in the wood chipper. Goddamnit.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Honestly? Grab some beverages of your choice and binge whatever you have left of season 4. There's a lot of stupid in there, but its not nearly as terrible as most claim.

This season is absolutely worth your time, and then some. I too was skeptical and peaced out last year. It is worth catching up on.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I literally have no idea how Helix ties into anything. While this could fall apart, I've got enough revived faith in the writers this year.

They somehow stuck the landing with Prometheus, even though Adrian Chase was literally the most obvious choice.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oliver fighting Adrian Chase at Lian Yu sounds pretty loving rad.

Also I am 100% with STAC Goat on continuity and preferring to slog through entire bad seasons if it pays off.

Hell I think half the season I'm trying to force myself through season 2 of The Flash is because I want to see how Speed Force Bullshit impacted Thawne's return on Legends of Tomorrow's second season.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm still baffled why they think two canaries is a good thing. I'm really really hoping that's not a misdirect.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I will take a competent but bland Felicity hacker storyline over relationship melodrama Felicity any day of the week. Twice on sundays.

Seriously though, this whole season has been 100% relationship angst free. Even if they lean hard on oliver and felicity as they approach the finish line, I'm okay with it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Earlier in the show's run, Diggle wasn't fighting like an MMA-trained badass. He largely just windmilled the hell out of people and/or shot at them. Which works because Ramsey has the imposing muscle to make it work.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Their agreement with Willa Holland was for 14 episodes this season. So i'm sure she'll pop back up before the end of the year.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm nervous the show will think they need to up the stakes by murdering someone this year. The team and new cast have worked so well together I really don't want to lose a single person.

Especially given that the CWVerse shows go to the murdered character well a little too often to make it useful.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I remember one of DC's time jumps going "wait, Oliver's now REALLY good with a sword!" a few years back.

The best part of this season has been the creative team going "gently caress it, just let him arrow people in fight scenes" again. Like it makes no real sense, given how many scenes this year have been "WHY WOULD YOU KILL?" angst, but who gives a poo poo when the action is so good.

Also yo, Dolph goddamn Lundgren. The real KGBeast. Worth the wait, y'all.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Also, Black Lightning's pilot script is not very good. At all.

Bargain basement Luke Cage doesn't begin to cover it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

You could make the argument that other networks should still care about scheduling.

The CW relies upon online streaming and DVR viewers to radically boost their ratings. Riverdale's ratings were weak but its numbers went up 125% after factoring in streaming/delayed views.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Catching up on Legends of Tomorrow's second season. Holy hell is this fun.

And not "bad, but fun."

Just a genuine blast.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey thread,

Thanks for telling me that this season was worth catching up with.

Really damned satisfying season. And while the finale felt a bit checkboxey and had some seriously iffy choreography (the Talia/Nyssa fight is a mess), it ably attempted to tie together five years worth of story.

The show's rules regarding killing still don't make any sense whatsoever - with Oliver spending this season killing henchmen but then yelling IM NOT A KILLER at Chase all year.

I know they didn't show the body so he's still alive, but I hope that's the last we see of Malcolm Merlyn. The show really overused him in season 3 and 4 as he repeatedly did heinous things but had magical plot armor keeping him alive.

His arc on Legends also fits neatly into his sacrifice, even if they're not directly related. (Or Are They?! I dunno, I'm binging Legends as I type).

Damned fine season. The cliffhanger reeks of schmuck bait, as there's no way they're going to decimate all or probably any of the main cast.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Phenotype posted:

It really pisses me off that Amell gets to be super handsome, famous, in amazing shape, and also seems like a really great person. I'd feel a lot better about the world and my place in it if he was an enormous prick or something.

There's a really great podcast interview he did with Aisha Tyler that talked about this. Amell is really honest about how he started his career as a massive entitled prick, and gradually matured into the Good Dude he is today.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I dislike the cliffhanger but they also spent this entire season regaining trust with their audience. Evelyn's definitely dead, and Malcolm is dead until the show runs long enough that in season twelve he can be a surprise twist.

Out of the main cast of heroes, there's no way in hell anyone just gets blown up. If someone goes out, the show will at least make sure they give them an epic and fitting end where they save others - like Tommy way back when.

Then again they also killed Laurel for literally no reason and did it in the most disrespectful way possible so.... I dunno. I still despise how Laurel died because she was Quentin's daughter, and not that she kicked literal rear end as a lawyer and as a vigilante.

But I trust them, I think.

I mean goddamn, they delivered on the promise of Russian flashbacks.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Barry being a dumbass was the basis for the whole mega-crossover this year.

But that does not begin to cover exactly how awful Barry is.

His decision at the end of season 2 is the most villainous done, across the entire Arrowverse.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Speed Weed is my second favorite name outside of a political consultant named "Blaze Baggs".

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Guys, Captain Lance will be voicing an imperial commander in the new Star Wars game. SOLD.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

X-O posted:

So Michael Emerson just has to be the guy that Helix rescued from Argus last season right? That just makes too much sense not to be the casting.

Yooooooo. Now my money is with you on this.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There's a fantastic podcast he did with Aisha Tyler that delves into how Amell sees himself and his role on the show. He talks very candidly about his awful behavior when he first started booking consistent roles, and what eventually broke him out of that spiral.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

There's like 13 different versions of the Question and they're all pretty drat great.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Season 3 is a slow burn, in that you slowly realize the writers have no idea what the hell they're doing.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Brandon Routh is also great on Chuck, the NBC spy series from a few years back. He basically plays a James Bond boy scout who goes off the deep end. Routh is so good at playing smug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Where the heck is a new trailer? Legends released a new teaser a few days ago.

• Locked thread