Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
It's a bit amazing that they felt the need to up the Salmon Ladder ante by having him do it in a business suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
This is crazy, but I thought that was a drat solid premiere for Arrow. I know part of it is my lowered expectations, but I really enjoyed it more than The Flash premiere. Neither were the home run I was really hoping for, but this one went a hell of a way towards repairing my feelings on the show.

The Good: Ollie "droppin' bodies", parachute arrow, impressive action (Except for that first flashback fight. I winced at the "hits" that were nowhere close.), a minimum level of Ollicity bullshit, and I'm glad they're continuing Ollie as mayor and doing more with it because I feared they'd just drop it altogether somehow.

The Mediocre: Flashbacks still feel like a drag, but I'm hoping DOLPH can help break that trend.

The Ugly: What in the living gently caress were they thinking with that statue. It looked like it had stick-on googly eyes.

Isn't the villain reveal at the very end supposed to be Ragman or whatnot?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
"...Queen has missed more than half of the seventy-two meetings..."

Ahahahaha. Holy poo poo.

Also, now that you guys have pointed out that Felicity stole Thea's apartment it's bothering me. I know I'll just be thinking that now everything she's onscreen.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
He definitely flips through a lot of emotions there, you're right.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I've watched almost every episode of ST:TNG, the Dominion War seasons of DS9, every Star Trek movie, recognized Michael Dorn as Caliban in Justice League right off the bat, and yet I still didn't realize he was doing the voice of Prometheus until I saw it in this thread.

On the other hand, I recognized Tony Todd as being Zoom immediately.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
It's pretty amusing to me that they wrote themselves out of the awful Black Canary statue situation by having it destroyed, and then later in front of its wreckage we get the following dialogue:

"We should build a new one."
"I think we can do better."

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Rhyno posted:

I thought we were supposed to separate the art from the artist?

Good luck with that.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Interesting episode. Someone in another thread pointed out that Kevin Tancharoen directs good action and I think they're right. There was something about the action in this episode that seemed a step above. Man, Josh Segarra is quite the surprise of this season.

I don't know if Oliver's confession really hit home as much as it was intended to, but I think it makes sense. Not sure where it goes from here though unless it's just the obvious "break the hero down and make him see that the reason for his quest was built on lies" --> "hero redefines the reasons the quest is built upon." It's really kind of stark and grim that he's basically admitting to being a psychopath at times. And while Batman could be considered a psychopath too, the "droppin' bodies" part of this show is definitely one way it deviates from just being Batman.

Semi-related: I recently caught up on Halt And Catch Fire and the actor who played Rory/Ragman was on it a bunch and pretty good. Great show that started out unevenly but is definitely worth catching up on.

I don't even understand what Manu is trying to say here, unless it's just about using something Deathstroke related without him. As far as I can tell that's the correct eye. Whatever the situation is between him and Arrow, it makes me sad because I just binged Spartacus and he was great as Crixus, and Slade of course.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Is that a shot of when Moira was killed? Lol. If so, I like his pun.

Maybe Manu is just trying to beef with Amell to get into the WWE.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Chokes McGee posted:

I get feeling "I WANTED IT TO! AND I LIKED IT!" is going to turn into this thread's "THAT'S NOT HER NAME"

More appropriately, it can be the new "I BECAME SOMEONE ELSE, SOMETHING ELSE."

But nothing will ever replace DROPPIN' BODIES in all our hearts.

Edit: Also, I saw some headline of an article saying someone else on Team Arrow is getting a costume...

...it's Felicity.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 25, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
With this episode, they've really done a good job of tying in the flashbacks to the current time. I know this isn't the KGBeast we ever expected, but Anatoly has always been a good and welcome character.

I guess this was as good an episode as any to start the month-long wait. Sigh.

Other thoughts:
-Curtis actually namedropping IRC.
-That shot following Oliver through the ceiling grate was drat good.
-I've thought this occasionally from a while back, but the Prometheus music cue is a bit grating.
-That music choice at the end was so unexpected for this show, but good.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Aphrodite posted:

The Green Arrow, like The Arrow and The Hood before him, turned out not to be what this city needs.

I am here to take up his crusade, but to bring it into the light, not hide in the darkness. I'm the Neon Arrow.

That certainly is someone else...something else.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

McSpanky posted:

The crisp citrus taste of the Lime Arrow will bring a refreshing burst of juicy justice to this city.

You can pair it with Stride Gum for a taste extravaganza!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I don't know. Part of me kept thinking Oliver was being a dick getting Anatoly and his men to come all the way from Russia on the pretense of an exchange of goods and services, but then reneging on the deal, fighting/killing them, and then ripping into his "friend" at the end...

...But maybe that was just me.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 30, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I'm just saying', flying all the way from Russia and back for nothing probably sucked. I can imagine Anatoly grumbling, pounding vodka, and crossing a bunch of names off his "favorite American list" the whole way back.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Spacebump posted:

A lot of stuff on this show didn't happen in the comics. Oliver stole Batman's League of Assassin plots, Sara Lance wasn't in the comics I believe, etc.

Yeah, Rhyno wasn't starting that old chestnut of an argument.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I hope Vigilante never gets revealed and just shows up from time to time to annoy the everliving gently caress out of Team Arrow.

(No. Not like Merlyn.)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
If Oliver gets to continue being Mayor after outing himself and his kill count, then that means...that means Barry Allen becomes President!

(Of Earth.)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Xelkelvos posted:

It'd be nice if we got an in-universe look at how the people of Star City think of the Green Arrow and the other vigilantes. I know that's the most basic setup for a clip show, but it's also a way to set up a bunch of set pieces without having to tie them together.

They could do it similar to that episode of (I think) Batman Brave And The Bold, but more grounded. I think it was called Legends Of The Dark Knight or something.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Never mind. I though Pellisworth said Season 2.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Aleph Null posted:

So they are building Bratva as the next big bad, right? Ollie has done nothing but screw them over since he got back home.
It would be properly tragic considering his past with the current leader. Like soap opera tragic, perfect for the CW.

Doubt it. Unless they went full KGBeast, which would be really odd considering this version of Anatoly .

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
All the Manu bitching was actually setup for his return.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I doubt Helix would be the main big bad for Season 6. Maybe a B-plot bad, or working in conjunction with a big bad, but not the big bad itself.

Edit: Unless Helix is ultimately controlled by someone we haven't seen yet.

Tiggum posted:

I was wondering this as well. And then I thought it's maybe the one underneath Ollie's campaign office, which I guess he owns? And then I realised that the show's writers probably don't have any idea who owns this lair or where it's located either so there's no point worrying about it. Besides, it'll probably be destroyed or compromised and abandoned before much longer anyway.

Didn't Thea find and rent/buy the campaign headquarters? Does this mean she technically owns the lair? (You know kinda like her apartment that Felicity stole. Yes I know we've been over that.)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

I understand a lot of the Felicity hate (not all of it, but a lot of it) but the thing where people are mad that she lives in Thea's old apartment just seems weird to me.

Just think of it as fuel for the fire.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Alright, gently caress the apartment stuff, but it all brings up an interesting question I don't remember being mentioned at least in a long time: Where the gently caress does Oliver live? The lair?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Where did Ollie sleep with reporter woman? Her place?

Don't a lot of big US cities have Mayoral Mansions/Manors/something? Or have I just played too much Sim City.

Also, in light of this season's quality turnaround from last, we should've had a new thread title, but now we're pretty far along.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 5, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Maybe he just crashes at Digg's. They're bros and Lyla and sex-changed baby never seem to be there.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Ape Agitator posted:

Recently started season 2 after having watched and enjoyed season 1.
I take it by the longevity of this thread that the series has done well. But the opening of season 2 introduces a no killing rule and I'm immediately turned off. Not because he was exactly the Punisher before but I felt like they had established a balance of killing and apprehending that matched a guy who uses a bow and arrow. If it's going to be all "shoot the guns out of their hands" going forward, I'd much rather spend time with the other parallel series than a ton of episodes watching someone bend over backward to not kill while simultaneously choosing a lethal weapon. At least Batman isn't thematically tied to a deadly weapon.

As mentioned, I'm encouraged by the length of this thread that the journey was worth it, but they couldn't have thrown more cold water on my enthusiasm as they did with the season two premiere. Really feeling like skipping the Arrow seasons and just following The Flash, which I'm enjoying immensely. Until they start a season with him regularly stripping the flesh from his enemies bones. :black101:

This is an amazing post. It's like a time capsule.

Spoilers: Ollie stills kills people sometimes and Barry is the universe's most heinous serial killer.

Arrow S2 is great, 3 ok, 4 not great, 5 is good again.

Flash S2 is pretty bad. S3 is better but not great.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, watch whatever you want but jumping around like that in three/four shows that all connect and share stories and characters is going to really be a mess.

I kind of agree. I mean, if you're already going to invest the time into Arrow (which is fine since S2 and 5 are great), and already invested the time into S1 of The Flash (S3 is better), and S1 of Supergirl, then you might as well just keep going for the crossovers (so that means maybe not skip Legends S1) which means maybe watching the respective season of that show, stopping before the crossover, binging the next show, stopping at the crossover, etc.

Yes I know part of this is sunk-cost fallacy, but it's also more unique than that since we finally have a comic tv universe where one show can affect the others.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

STAC Goat posted:

"Sunk-cost" seems more to me like choosing to watch a show you no longer want to watch just because you've been watching it for awhile. If you don't enjoy Arrow just stop watching. But this is more jumping around and picking out chapters of a story to read, which just strikes me as odd.

I mean, its more than just the crossovers too. Characters jump back and forth. Legends is a show based entirely on characters pulled from Arrow and Flash and if you don't know them from those shows you're essentially tuning in late into the season (even more so if you skip S1).

I mean, hell if I remember the placement right he'll encounter Sara jumping from League of Assassins to Captain of the Waverider skipping her entire story, death, resurrection, restoration, and rehabilitation that all define her character. That's the most glaring missing piece of info about one of the most important parts of Legend S2 but there's a ton more I can think off the top of my head including a bunch of the characters never even being introduced in what he's watched. Hell, he won't even recognize 1 of the villains that makes the season good and will be missing a ton of info about the other ones.

Like I said, watch any way you like and if you're cool with that kind of viewing more power to you. But you should know how connected the shows are and how they feed off each other and if you're going to skip around like that you're going to have a ton of blank spaces of information and no clue what's happening. That's your prerogative but I'm just providing a head's up to counter all the "skip ______" talk.

I brought up sunk cost preemptively because I predicted someone else would.

And yeah I agree with everything you're saying and that was what I said as much in my post.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Scyantific posted:

You can skip Legends season 1 since the Hawks were pretty terrible.

I only mentioned that part because of the crossover, but I suppose you can just watch the crossover part and be done with it.

Edit: Nevermind I'm wrong, for some reason I mis-remembered and thought LoT S1 had a crossover ep with the others, but the crossover was just the setup for LoT.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 6, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I find it amusing that one of the things people complain about with actual comic books is when they had to have footnotes like "This happened in issue #335 dear reader! Maybe go back and read that one!", then we realized we really wanted comic book based TV shows (and movies) that had a shared universe like our beloved comic books, but now we're running into the same issue (pardon the pun) of missing context when a reference is made in one show but we haven't seen the episode or show it's referencing. And in TV or Movies you can't have those footnotes.

STAC Goat posted:

The other thing is, I'm pretty sure you won't enjoy Legends S2 half as much as people who watched Legends S1 did because a big part of that was the meta response to S1. And Legends S2 really isn't that good a show without that factor.

Mostly agree, but Season 2 I think would be great even on its own. Does the the watching of Season 1 enhance Season 2's greatness? Yes. And just naturally by comparison.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Ape Agitator posted:

You guys are pushing all of my buttons now (I have a very hard time watching a movie sequel before seeing the original, liking to see plot threads referenced, and curiosity about the CWverse in general). I endured Angel season 4 so I can basically survive the most terrible season of any show I once liked. I guess I should just buckle in and let the CW crash over me.

Do it! Release your obsessive compulsion! Embrace your contextual necessity!

Edit: vvv Hey! You stole my rankings! :v:

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 7, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Bad Moon posted:

Season 2 Arrow has the best scene of drama out of any of the DC CW shows

For a second I thought someone had actually bought that emoticon for this forum.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
But...Daredevil Season 1 and first half of Season 2 are good.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Tiggum posted:

Daredevil is good whenever Vincent D'Onofrio is on screen and at absolutely no other time.

B-b-b-but...Jon Bernthal...Scott Glenn...hallway fight...

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I don't think that's what we're talking about.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Cran posted:

Just the same, Arrow is the only CWDC show I watch because I honestly get the impression that watching the other shows will do me more harm than good. Arrow's record is sketchy enough as it is, seasons 3 and 4 are pretty awful, and I don't typically hear people talk about the other three shows in a good light that often. So, I invest myself less.

Three words: Legends Season Two

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
If this is for real...Holy poo poo I called it!

Longbaugh01 posted:

All the Manu bitching was actually setup for his return.

These posts are also funny in retrospect:

Aphrodite posted:

Manu seems to think that Amell was hinting at a return for him or something.

It was obvious to me Amell was just showing they were getting ready to film that final flashback, but to be fair I've seen the show and Manu hasn't.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Maybe Manu is just trying to beef with Amell to get into the WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I was already really high on this show but I didn't expect it to get even (maybe) better!

And I still can't believe the "feud" was all setup. I wonder how far back...

• Locked thread