Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The Deathstroke to be in the DC film universe reveal pretty much fucks Arrow out of ever being cool again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Burning_Monk posted:

I saw Manu Bennet at the SF Comic Con this Saturday. Was pretty fun, he was a last minute replacement for Kristen Ritter. He lead the group in a maori war dance and at the end he sang a Coldplay song on a piano.

The one thing that really stood out was his hatred of DC executives and the shafting he got with TV Deathstroke. The guy knew his stuff about comic Deathstroke and he explained how he really tried to bring that level of ambigious reserve to his character but the CW writers kept loving up his dialog. He mentioned how Moira's death was the point he felt the character was gone. "So, I'm a lady killer now" he said several times about the episode.

Honestly, I met that guy live when they were wrapping Arrow and he has a bit of a reason to be sore. They could have easily made better use of him as reoccurring character post-S02 but they threw all their love in the Barrowman/Malcom Merlin bucket and froze him out.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Black Siren, Mr. Terrific, Wild Dig, Ragman, The Human Target - it occurs to me that Arrow is actually learning from the big budget errors of the previous season [Magic and Metas] and the Superman vs Batman flop and trying to go smaller. Hell, it almost strokes me a they're attempting a lower budget variation on 'Batman & The Outsiders'. Yes, for those of you who remember the reference, I'm not implying a literal adaptation and for those of you who don't get the reference, they were the not-JLA 'street' team Batman assembled at one point w/ great success (and many had powers).

Oliver Queen & his rag tag band of vigilantes is an appealing notion for at least half of this season. I'd love to see Nemisis in the mix as well if possible. We're already getting Vigilante .

For those of you driven nuts by Felicity getting to keep the apartment, I'm driven to distraction that City Hall suspiciously is using the same green marble floor tiling of Queen Consolidated/STAR Labs.

oh and then there's this...

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Rhyno posted:

We already saw a sketch of Vigilante's mask in the premier. I'm not really feeling this guy playing Chase though. Might make it easier when he pops himself down the line.

I have a feeling they cast the role based on the guy's head shape and jawline.

gently caress - its idiot Billy from 'Sirens'

https://youtu.be/v8xqtgYcgtA

https://youtu.be/5NLNfKtgPyI

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Maybe she'll pull a Jason Todd and punch her way out of her coffin.

Maybe They'll pull a Death In The Family & have the audience vote on if Wild Dog lives or dies

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
A few episodes ago, Oliver kills a henchman as a cool call back to the pilot episode and revive the entire 'nobody can know my secret shtick'. Four episodes later they're going to arrest Church and Oliver thinks him knowing his secret identity won't be an issue.

Oliver Queen - logic's black hole.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I like how Church's masked bodyguard never got a name. I've heard Cheapstroke suggested.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Det. McKenna Hall is Prometheus .

She can't do any flippy-poo poo...her spine won't work that way.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Binge watching season 1 and it is startling how rapidly the series was course correcting its minor characters in during the show's run. Remember, it didn't have a full season pickup out of the gate.

Its also startling how often Oliver gives characters a 2nd chance to change despite being so closed minded but one could argue that Diggle made that possible.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Cousin Johnny from Justified being the Bratva big wig was both cool and weird since I'm used to him speaking with a completely different accent.

eh....just watch The Equalizer. Seems like old hat for him.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Not to start anything, but I disagree. Dig had been used perfectly throughout the series and has been the perfect counter-point to Oliver at almost every moment when called for. He can't defend The List to the recruits because he was just as critical of it and was even the first to imply that Oliver was insane and a potential serial killer, not a soldier.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Laurel's death gave is the best grief by way of Diggle's anger.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The 1st 2 seasons were especially on fire around or at the 14th episode so I'm using that as a benchmark.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Bad Moon posted:

Peak Season 2 and peak Arrow to me will always be

:respek:

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Zebulon posted:

Well ain't that some poo poo for a cliffhanger.

proof that Arrow is resurgent is that the show is getting back to its roots: strip mining concepts and characters from the 80s' Wolfman/Perez run of The New Teen Titans. Deathstroke, Hive and more (non-Titans) from that era in previous seasons, now Vigilante and possibly The Judas Contract this season.

Seriously, ever since Slade popped up in Season 1 I've been hoping for a Judas Contract ripoff and now my hope is renewed.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I did laugh at the director using the take where you see Oliver jump up onto the bank counter. It just seemed less dramatic and like they missed an editing cue.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Mr Beens posted:

Yup. His only skill is pointless Roy flipping and duel wielding pistols. And being the 3rd guy from Reaper I just realised.

This season is much better. There are some things that annoy the hell out of me though.

Thea is boring as gently caress.
They have a super powered bulletproof mummy on the team. But don't let him actually do anything.
Curtis and Evelyn's masks are dumb as gently caress. Evelyn has the normal rubber magic face sticking thing, but then paints on a perfect movie make up blended strap for some reason. Curtis is even worse - rubber eye bits with some thin bits down the side of his face and chin, then they paint in over his nose and mouth to make a pointless T (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5584152/mediaviewer/rm3156674048). How long does it take him to do each time? And his cornrows.

It really feels like we're just marking time until the B-team is killed, which is a shame because I'll miss Rag Man and Wild Dog

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Promethius is Queen Consolidated/Palmer Tech's board of directors

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Scyantific posted:

Calling it now, Curtis is going to perfect his T-Spheres with help from the alien tech.

E: Scope out this throwback picture Paul Blackthorne posted to his Facebook. Gotta love Barrowman just being called "Well-Dressed Man"

Good old Det. Hilton...the most forgotten character from the pilot since the Queen family housekeeper.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Cons of the season

Thea benched [fixed]

No Manu Bennett

50% of Team Arrow Future Cannon Fodder

Pros of the season

Ragman

Vigilante

now less Malcom

Amel, 99 episodes later CRUSHING IT in the acting department [far cry from accusations that he was an ab model in season 1]

and this classic...

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

I think the crossovers are here to stay ratings for last night's episode:

Arrow: .7 -> 1.3 +87%

:eyepop:

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
ON THE NEXT ARROW... [SPOILERS] https://youtu.be/3FU2k5xEZQI

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
n/m edit sorry

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

That's okay because Sara was around then. They love Sara.

...and the salmon ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

X-O posted:

Also don't do anything foolish like look at how much of an rear end in a top hat he is apparently. Didn't he get arrested for drunkenly assaulting someone at a Comic Con? Doesn't seem like a likable guy to me.

Saw him at Vancouver Con when they were wrapping season 2 & the guy was the greatest in the world. I chalk it up to partying too hard.

• Locked thread