Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

If the Braves think the price is too high for his value, why not allow somebody like the Brewers, a rebuilding team the Braves might see as their peers or competitors, to potentially make a deal they believe to be a mistake? All Sun Tzu style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Rand alPaul posted:

Glory to Puig.

Why haven't we seen Puig with a Type 56 and a bell? This stands out as his biggest character flaw imo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

But it blocks any other team from making a possible trade. I'm not sure why the Braves wouldn't claim him.

To lower the chances of the Dodgers spite-blocking a trade they might try to make in the future

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

But it blocks any other team from making a possible trade. I'm not sure why the Braves wouldn't claim him.

Why would the Braves give any shits at all about blocking him?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

MassaShowtime posted:

Why would the Braves give any shits at all about blocking him?

Perhaps they don't want a division rival to acquire Puig? Obviously Atlanta isn't really close to competing but if Puig sticks around.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The Braves beat writer and announcing team both said the day Puig went on waivers that Coppolella just laughed when they asked about a possible Braves claim.

I.E. the Braves are rebuilding OK but still have loving stupid ideas about team building that will probably doom them in the end.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I think someone said it earlier, but maybe Coppy knew the asking price for Puig already.

What if they were asking for Freeman and Teheran? (With the idea of flipping Freeman to a different team after receiving him)

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Dingleberry Jones posted:

I think someone said it earlier, but maybe Coppy knew the asking price for Puig already.

What if they were asking for Freeman and Teheran? (With the idea of flipping Freeman to a different team after receiving him)

LOL i love trade speculation because it gets ridiculous. I know you just threw those names out with no real thought behind it, but please! Those two are the best Braves by far, it's not even close.

Rumor has it the Dodgers wanted pitching with Newcomb and Foltynewicz being the main targets. The Braves have some bad recent history trading with Friedman but i'm sure they talked.

Anyhow, it was unlikely for a non contending team to get a deal completed for Puig, no real incentive or leverage in-season.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

i bought my first pro sports jersey in about 20 years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In other news the Braves are seriously considering offering Tebow a contract

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/09/braves-considering-signing-tim-tebow.html

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Perhaps they don't want a division rival to acquire Puig? Obviously Atlanta isn't really close to competing but if Puig sticks around.

Again, it doesn't make any sense. All it would serve to do is piss off the Dodgers and maybe other general managers and Puig just gets traded to that rival in December.

So what exactly would be the point?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
If any Brewer Goons are going to the game on Wednesday, hit me up, I'll be up there screaming at Matt Garza

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

If any Brewer Goons are going to the game on Wednesday, hit me up, I'll be up there screaming at Matt Garza

Scream at Ryan Braun for all of us who voted for him in the Most Hated Player list, please.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

N: Chad Green has a strained UCL and flexor tendon

V: it's not a tear? I guess that's good news of a sort

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The Texas Rangers have secured a winning 2016 baseball season

Pox
Feb 16, 2015
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-education-of-yoan-moncada-201005541.html

Nothing brought Yoan Moncada, a teenage boy stuck inside a man’s body, quite the satisfaction of a Twinkie. He never could limit himself to one. Or two. He wolfed them down like a snake eating its prey whole. This may sound like an exaggeration, and it may be apocryphal, but those closest to Moncada swear it’s true: One time, over the course of one week, he ate 225 Twinkies.

Moncada will eat just about anything. On Thanksgiving in 2014, the Hastingses hosted a party for about 100 people. On the island in their kitchen sat cookies, candy, cakes, all sorts of sweets, and to keep ants away, they set bright-colored boric-acid traps. Moncada thought it was liquid candy and tried to eat it before screams of “No!” caused him to drop it. This wasn’t the first time Moncada mistook a household item for food. He once tried to ingest a berry-scented liquid air freshener, too.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Pox posted:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-education-of-yoan-moncada-201005541.html

Nothing brought Yoan Moncada, a teenage boy stuck inside a man’s body, quite the satisfaction of a Twinkie. He never could limit himself to one. Or two. He wolfed them down like a snake eating its prey whole. This may sound like an exaggeration, and it may be apocryphal, but those closest to Moncada swear it’s true: One time, over the course of one week, he ate 225 Twinkies.

Moncada will eat just about anything. On Thanksgiving in 2014, the Hastingses hosted a party for about 100 people. On the island in their kitchen sat cookies, candy, cakes, all sorts of sweets, and to keep ants away, they set bright-colored boric-acid traps. Moncada thought it was liquid candy and tried to eat it before screams of “No!” caused him to drop it. This wasn’t the first time Moncada mistook a household item for food. He once tried to ingest a berry-scented liquid air freshener, too.

This sounds like me before I started psychotically restricting my diet after law school. I once bought what I figured would be a week's worth of Cadbury Cream Eggs, 6 packages of 4 full-size eggs. Then I went home and turned on the television. 30 minutes later of just idle snacking they were all gone. I didn't even notice I was eating them until I noticed all the foil wrappers in the garbage can. An oral fixation plus being hungry from training all the time is a dangerous combination.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Isn't that an issue for a lot of Cubans? I could swear I remember hearing a story in the last couple years about one of them constantly gorging himself on sugar-filled milk or something like that, though I don't remember which one it was

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Isn't that an issue for a lot of Cubans? I could swear I remember hearing a story in the last couple years about one of them constantly gorging himself on sugar-filled milk or something like that, though I don't remember which one it was

Welcome to freedom

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

It was Chapman eating like 100 Porto's guava cheese rolls when he was in LA and was unable to pitch.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I think Puig packed on a bunch of weight in his first off season, too, right? So much good food in LA.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Livan Hernandez ate at McDonalds almost every day for a period which caused him to have a weight problem for awhile

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: In unsurprising news, Kershaw domnated A-ball hitters in a 3 inning rehab start tonight.

https://twitter.com/RCQuakes/status/772268559548329986

V: :getin:

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Found a shirt at a thrift store in Columbus: "Bean Brawl. August 12, 1984."

Absolutely amazing. (Braves/Padres brawl)

It was even the correct size.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ariel Prieto had to tell Yoenis Cespedes to stop eating steak for every meal, and apparently his favorite treat was a huge glass of whole milk with spoons full of sugar in it.

It makes sense, a lot of that stuff is expensive in Cuba, and most of the players are like 18-25 and have insane metabolisms. I used to drink like 6 Dr. Peppers a day and just eat whatever the hell I wanted until I was like 24.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

bawfuls posted:

N: In unsurprising news, Kershaw domnated A-ball hitters in a 3 inning rehab start tonight.

https://twitter.com/RCQuakes/status/772268559548329986

V: :getin:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Rand alPaul posted:

Ariel Prieto had to tell Yoenis Cespedes to stop eating steak for every meal, and apparently his favorite treat was a huge glass of whole milk with spoons full of sugar in it.

It makes sense, a lot of that stuff is expensive in Cuba, and most of the players are like 18-25 and have insane metabolisms. I used to drink like 6 Dr. Peppers a day and just eat whatever the hell I wanted until I was like 24.

Yeah, this is the story I'm thinking of. Sugar is addictive as gently caress and we put it in everything, so it's not a shock that guys who have grown up without it pig out when there's nothing stopping them

Good Dog posted:

It was Chapman eating like 100 Porto's guava cheese rolls when he was in LA and was unable to pitch.

Holy moly, never heard this one. Making sure someone was there to contain that would be my first order of business if I were a GM signing a Cuban player now

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah Brett Anderson came in after Kershaw was done and immediately poo poo the bed

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Vince Velasquez got shut down. Once Jake Thompson joins him the Phillies rotation will be some combination of Jerad Eickhoff, Jeremy Hellickson, Adam Morgan, and, uh... two more AAA guys? Sure.

Kill me.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I don't really post much anymore but I wanted to post this funny quote about Moncado getting his first hit against A's starter Danny Mengdon:

quote:

"Tommy [Mclaughlin] gave me the ball. He said, 'Here, take this ball you hit off the guy with the funny mustache.'" -- Moncada, on the Red Sox's club

I am really psyched about both Moncado AND Benintendi getting called up, given that I live about a 5 minute drive from Hadlock Field, the baseball park of the Sea Dogs (AA affiliate of the Red Sox). Been watching those two all summer, have a signed baseball from each of them, too! Hell, we'd see players at the bars/clubs in the Old Port getting wasted with everyone else, fitting right in. But that's pretty normal. Dunno if I ever saw Moncado but I definitely saw Benintendi a few times. I saw him play a lot more, really, because I went to more games in April and May and Moncado wasn't here yet. I only saw him play twice.

Anyway, it's just really awesome to see these guys who I've seen over the summer show up on the national stage and do so freaking well and get so much attention. It was REALLY special watching Moncado because he was so HUGE out there compared to your average AA journeyman, and was an impressive bad-ball hitter. Like that pitch he golfed for a double last night was NOT a fluke, Moncado is a really good bad-ball hitter when he gets into tough counts, and can just put amazing swings on any kinda pitch, at least from what I saw. Hard not to echo the scouting reports when he lives up to them. Benintendi was just amazing because he had this perfect approach at the plate and could just spray line drives everywhere onto the field.

Oh, and Moncado's arm at third base is so good it scared the poo poo out of me the one time I was sitting in this flat seating area along the first base line where you're sorta behind the first baseman. More than once I was scared shitless because it felt like as he was throwing the ball if he went off-target or threw wild it could maybe possibly re-arrange my face - even though a net was protecting me I couldn't stop thinking that! He's just got a cannon. And he even steals freakin' bases.

Too bad he can't pitch a clean 8th inning.

edit: A random note... I have just noticed that in this season, David Ortiz leads the MLB in *both* GIDP with 22, and in 2Bs with 44! I admit it seems rather incongruous for someone to lead the league in both, but I suppose it's rather an extreme example of the Fenway effect vis-a-vis doubles - as I recall Fenway is like the most doubles-friendly park in the MLB. And sure enough, 32 of those doubles were hit at Fenway, and 12 on the road. That's a helluva split. Mookie has the same thing going on - of his 37 doubles, only *9* were hit on the road! 28 at home and 9 on the road, which is like almost the same ratio as Ortiz.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 4, 2016

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

playing .500 ball against the reds, i was surprised by this i figured the reds were like 10-4, would probably keep the cards out of the playoffs if the rest of the nl wasnt hot garbage. i mean the cards are still bad but should be able to squeak in.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

If guava cheese rolls are the danish things with filling and cream cheese they are drat delicious. There's a mexican bakery here that sells them and I could probably eat 100 tbh.

Of course then I would die, but I would die happy.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Mike Trout's good

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Kershaw pitching Friday against the Marlins

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Does anyone have splits for the Jays starters from the second time through the 6-man rotation?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/thorn_john/status/772496977246445568

I'm a fan of their interpretation of the Cincinnati Reds.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Legs Benedict posted:

Kershaw pitching Friday against the Marlins
If he hits the ground running he'll end up with 5 more starts before the season ends. I believe he'd need more than 8 IP on average to qualify for the ERA title. Guessing he won't be allowed to throw 8+ innings on Friday, but if he does manage to qualify I'd bet he wins the Cy Young. He won't get there because they won't let him, but he could get pretty close.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 4, 2016

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

bawfuls posted:

If he hits the ground running he'll end up with 5 more starts before the season ends. I believe he'd need more than 8 IP on average to qualify for the ERA title. Guessing he won't be allowed to throw 8+ innings on Friday, but if he does manage to qualify I'd bet he wins the Cy Young. He won't get there because they won't let him, but he could get pretty close.

I suppose he could win it (CYA) on narrative if he gets 5 starts, is dominant in all 5, and two of them are against the Giants which help secure the divisional win.

Still super unlikely though

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Legs Benedict posted:

I suppose he could win it (CYA) on narrative if he gets 5 starts, is dominant in all 5, and two of them are against the Giants which help secure the divisional win.

Still super unlikely though
I mean there's an argument beyond narrative considering he'd be at or near the WAR lead in that scenario. That certainly would suggest his quality has been sufficient to make up for his lack of quantity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N:
https://twitter.com/DodgerBlue1958/status/772574963933085696

V: Dodgers September call ups :perfect:

• Locked thread