Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

In the near 9595
I'm kinda wondering if Edwin Jackson will still be alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Luigi Thirty posted:

In the near 9595

Even if he's dead the Cubs will still be paying his contract.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

That's what they get for demoting Jeff Locke. :colbert:

Actually, it's what we get for letting him pitch

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Sydin posted:

Even if he's dead the Cubs will still be paying his contract.

I still consider it a worthwhile investment to pay him $11 million a year to not pitch for the Cubs.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Has anyone noticed that the arrow in Guaranteed Rate looks like an upside down house?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

CubsWoo posted:

MiLB ended their season last night - who do you expect to be called up for the rest of the year for your team? For the Cubs, I would expect to see Patton, Concepcion, Candelario, Almora and Kawasaki on the MLB roster for a good part of the last 25 games.

Concepcion and Candelario aren't on the list today, but the other three you mention are. Tim Federowicz is a surprise name being promoted, giving the Cubs four catchers. Hector Rondon has also been activated from the DL.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Luigi Thirty posted:

In the near 9595

He'll be pitching and Jeff Franceour will still be in the outfield.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Monkey Wrangler posted:

Has anyone noticed that the arrow in Guaranteed Rate looks like an upside down house?

A flipped house? :grin:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ALFbrot posted:

Actually, it's what we get for letting him pitch

I know, but I still miss him. :smith: Speaking strictly as a Pirates non-fan, obviously.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

We got more DbacksFO.png gold out of last night's game btw

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
How in the Hell was this 21 years ago already?!

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The average player this year draws a walk 8.3% of the time.

Brandon Guyer this year has been hit by pitches 9.3% of the time.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

N: Dansby Swanson's first career home run is an inside-the-park homer.

V: Trea Turner has some work to do learning center field :doh:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

In this scenario which one gets caught with the hooker?
Greinke.

I also know that Neagle rented out a house like 30 miles away from his family's home where he often had parties with lots of coke and strippers.

Ice To Meet You posted:

Gerardo Parra has 341PA this year and has a grand total OF EIGHT WALKS.

2.3%

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

will_colorado posted:

the Dbacks getting Greinke and Miller reminds me what Colorado did when signing Hampton/Neagle in 2000.

It set the Rockies back for just over five years.
The Neagle signing in particular was hilarious.

Hey lets sign a pitcher with a 2-to-1 flyball to groundball ratio to pitch in Coors. What could possibly go wrong?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Ice To Meet You posted:

That's a skill you can't teach.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Luigi Thirty posted:

News: The Rays have a "peak performance coach."

Views: Can he teach the rest of the roster how to hit too?
I guess this is better than Frank McCourt hiring that Rasputin psychic guy since he actually had to show up for work

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
E: This isn't GDT

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ego symphonic posted:

N: Dansby Swanson's first career home run is an inside-the-park homer.

V: Trea Turner has some work to do learning center field :doh:
Video, that's some bad outfielding.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

https://twitter.com/SNstats/status/773322446690746368

But don't worry, he got to bat with the bases loaded twice tonight and poo poo the bed both times, so he's definitely going to hold onto that record.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

The Berzerker posted:

https://twitter.com/SNstats/status/773322446690746368

But don't worry, he got to bat with the bases loaded twice tonight and poo poo the bed both times, so he's definitely going to hold onto that record.

2 more years.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
The Jays aren't going to make the playoffs, are they...

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I wouldn't go that far, but you're St. Dogbert, so... sure.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
N: Hey wow Blake Parker is very excited
http://i.imgur.com/dXRacgc.gifv

V: I wonder wh- :stonk:
http://i.imgur.com/DBJ0i1U.gifv

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 7, 2016

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Inspector_666 posted:

N: Hey wow Blake Parker is very excited

V: I wonder wh- :stonk:

Hey both your images are broken for me.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

theacox posted:

Hey both your images are broken for me.

loving gifv integration never works for me.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

a gifv isn't an image. you can right click -> copy video url and then i think that will automatically get embedded

http://i.imgur.com/dXRacgc.mp4

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Well I am a dummy, thanks!

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but you're St. Dogbert, so... sure.

After tomorrow, the next 13 games are against Boston, Tampa, Anaheim, and Seattle. We're 16-19 against those teams this year - not bad, but not particularly good either. We just played the Rays and Angels and couldn't get anyone out in either series, and the Mariners and Red Sox are mashers against anyone; these are not the teams you want to be facing at a time where the offense is pissing away glorious scoring opportunities every night and the pitching can't make the slightest mistake without watching it fly over the wall. It also looks like we're going to be tied with Boston again at the end of the night, with Baltimore only one game behind after it looked like we'd buried them a week ago; furthermore, Detroit is within two games of us, Houston is within three, and the Yankees and Royals are both making runs behind them.

My point is, I don't know what's gotten into the Jays since they left Baltimore, but they need to figure it out in a big hurry.

St. Dogbert fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 7, 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
My brother can be a cruel fiend to twist the knife
https://twitter.com/TheBlackVulcan/status/773348648696492032

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Looks more and more like the Braves will be winning the Tim Tebow Sweepstakes.

He'll get some instructional league time in and then might get shipped out to winter ball, possibly in Venezuela. Then maybe to the AA team in Mississippi so he's not blocking any actual worthwhile players at the lower levels while they wait for him to crash out or get bored and go home.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

New Concept Hole posted:

A flipped house? :grin:

That or you're upside down after your interest rate balloons in five years.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Noah Syndergaard sucks

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah and after hooking the fans they realized they could use that good will to let a lot of the reasons why they were good go away (too be fair AJ Burnett retired)

Frankly I'm still pissed that they traded Neil Walker away because they couldn't even pay for the popular hometown kid becuase they had to be financially flexible, bullshit when you own a baseball team you should use whatever money you got to make a an entertaining winning team, not to squeeze dollars out of families and especially grandparents who come to the games to remember the days of going to Forbes and seeing Maz beat the evil empire, Roberto Clemente play at his peak, and for the name Dick Groat to be announced.

That's what is loving infuriating about this team. They care more about profit over success
Quoted from the gameday thread.

I see you've fully accepted the "cheapness" narrative to explain every move.

Neil Walker was nearing the end of his contact, he'd had a ton of injury issues over the years (and now needs back surgery), and they thought he had peaked. The Pirates felt confident with Harrison and Kang (not to mention Freese and Hanson) and dealt from a position of relative strength to address a desperate need. Re-signing him would've been a feel-good move, yes, but not a very smart baseball one.

Niese ended up sucking terribly while Neil went on a tear, so it looks worse in retrospect, but I don't remember financial flexibility being cited when he was traded. Unless you're mad about the financial flexibility of not dumping extensions on aging, poor-value, expensive players.

The trades didn't kill this team. Even with Locke and Vogelsong and Niese in the rotation to start the season, we somehow stuck around in the race this late. Liriano falling off his traditional cliff, Cole's inconsistency and injuries, Cutch's lost season, Hughes and Watson forgetting how to be effective, and Kang's rape slump did way way more to submarine us, and I don't see how those things are on the FO

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

St. Dogbert posted:

After tomorrow, the next 13 games are against Boston, Tampa, Anaheim, and Seattle. We're 16-19 against those teams this year - not bad, but not particularly good either. We just played the Rays and Angels and couldn't get anyone out in either series, and the Mariners and Red Sox are mashers against anyone; these are not the teams you want to be facing at a time where the offense is pissing away glorious scoring opportunities every night and the pitching can't make the slightest mistake without watching it fly over the wall. It also looks like we're going to be tied with Boston again at the end of the night, with Baltimore only one game behind after it looked like we'd buried them a week ago; furthermore, Detroit is within two games of us, Houston is within three, and the Yankees and Royals are both making runs behind them.

My point is, I don't know what's gotten into the Jays since they left Baltimore, but they need to figure it out in a big hurry.

Counterpoint: The Jays rule and will be fine.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Everyone who didn't put him on their most favorite list is wrong, including myself.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ALFbrot posted:

Kang's rape slump

Can we change Citizen Tayne's name to Kang's Rape Slump, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

Everyone who didn't put him on their most favorite list is wrong, including myself.

Yes, I agree, memes are very "le good"

• Locked thread