Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

If the Braves think the price is too high for his value, why not allow somebody like the Brewers, a rebuilding team the Braves might see as their peers or competitors, to potentially make a deal they believe to be a mistake? All Sun Tzu style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ego symphonic posted:

N: Dansby Swanson's first career home run is an inside-the-park homer.

V: Trea Turner has some work to do learning center field :doh:
Video, that's some bad outfielding.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ozzie Albies has a fractured elbow, won't do baseball stuff until January. Doesn't involve the ligaments so won't need TJS as feared. Could still be on track for spring training 2017 if all goes well.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Strasberg potentially out for the season. I knew he left his last start in the 3rd against the Braves, didn't know it was that bad.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

AJP reportedly retiring, like immediately.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I thought it would be weird to quit this close to the end of a season but didn't seem that out of place really

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Pierzynski to the DL so I guess maybe he is done?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Dansby Swanson leaves the game with a "groin contusion" aka he got hit in the dick with the baseball due to an errant throw by the catcher.

:confused:
Ouch, I turned on the game after than had happened and assumed it was on a steal attempt or something. That's really dumb.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

apparently he was throwing up afterward, drat
drat that sucks

I know he'll be fine in a day or two but I think peak Barves would have to be breaking one of your top prospects by throwing a dead ball into his nuts

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

Freeman hit the 30-homer mark tonight and is having by far his best offensive season despite playing a month or so of it with a cracked rib. The Braves offense has actually been really good for a month or more now, it's just masked by the collapse of the pitching staff.
You worried about the long-term returns on all the young arms we acquired yet? Folty's about the only one comfortable in the big leagues; Blair, Wisler and Jenkins keep getting chased out of the park. I think I heard Lucas Sims wasn't doing too hot either.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

Or, I guess to clarify: the whole reason to stockpile arms is you don't know which ones will make it, but it only takes two or three to set up your rotation for years. All we've seen so far is the first wave, there's so much more coming through; even if Wisler and Blair don't get sorted out (and Jenkins seemed destined for spot-start/long relief from pretty early on) then there's a lot more where that came from, plus one more draft coming up to stockpile.

Rotation next year will be Teheran, Folty, and a collection of warm bodies and rookie spot starts, and that's still way better than what they started 2016 with. Give 'em time.
All fair points. Wisler and Blair especially seem to (just from my impression watching) have trouble with one bad inning getting out of hand, not getting lit up all day. Might be the kind of thing you can mitigate by developing another pitch to mix in on the second or third trip through the lineup or just more maturity, not compounding mistakes when the other team puts a few hits together.

The Talking Chop guys seem to think Coppy might make a move for a 3/4 starter, which I guess is OK -- the lineup is visibly better than the AAAA poo poo they started the year with. Won't be competitive but could be edging closer to a .500 team that isn't an embarrassment to the new ballpark.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The Atlanta Braves have been very fun to watch for the last few weeks and I hope they continue to be in the future

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Braves won another meaningless game with a late rally.

Decided to start being fun about a month before the season ends.

Baseball is designed to break your heart.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

elentar posted:

also check out this piece and worry about how Braves are using up their BABIP for the next decade
Yeah, saw that the other day, very good questions about how sustainable this is even if the roster doesn't change all that much next year.

Am I the only one who just recently put two and two together on Bart Giamatti being Paul Giamatti's father?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I guess there's no tiebreakers that go all the way down to some kind of opponents' records like can theoretically happen in football that this makes a difference for.

• Locked thread