Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Where'd you hear that? I'm pretty sure the Brewers were just making an earnest attempt to see if he could be had, because why wouldn't you if you're the Brewers? I just think it's weird the Braves didn't claim him, because again, why wouldn't they?

Maybe they knew the ask from before the deadline, and didn't want to part with whatever the Dodgers wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

But it blocks any other team from making a possible trade. I'm not sure why the Braves wouldn't claim him.

Why would the Braves give any shits at all about blocking him?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

Perhaps they don't want a division rival to acquire Puig? Obviously Atlanta isn't really close to competing but if Puig sticks around.

Again, it doesn't make any sense. All it would serve to do is piss off the Dodgers and maybe other general managers and Puig just gets traded to that rival in December.

So what exactly would be the point?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

St. Dogbert posted:

After tomorrow, the next 13 games are against Boston, Tampa, Anaheim, and Seattle. We're 16-19 against those teams this year - not bad, but not particularly good either. We just played the Rays and Angels and couldn't get anyone out in either series, and the Mariners and Red Sox are mashers against anyone; these are not the teams you want to be facing at a time where the offense is pissing away glorious scoring opportunities every night and the pitching can't make the slightest mistake without watching it fly over the wall. It also looks like we're going to be tied with Boston again at the end of the night, with Baltimore only one game behind after it looked like we'd buried them a week ago; furthermore, Detroit is within two games of us, Houston is within three, and the Yankees and Royals are both making runs behind them.

My point is, I don't know what's gotten into the Jays since they left Baltimore, but they need to figure it out in a big hurry.

Counterpoint: The Jays rule and will be fine.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/dshemie8/status/775036849542852608

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Marco Estrada has been pitching with a herniated disc. Why has Marco Estrada been pitching with a herniated disc?

Well there's umm you know uhhh only umm like 6 other starters on the uhhhhh roster and hmmmm mmm.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I will always love RA Dickey, I don't care about the trade, he was and is a cool and good dude.

As a real thing, he makes it easy to cheer for sports because he's exactly what he says he is, and I wish more people did the things he did, regarldess of results on the diamond/ice/pitch/field whatever.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/27463/biggest-increasesdecreases-in-war

Lou Boudreau dropped 7.3 WAR
Richie Ashburn dropped 8
Cal Ripken Jr 7.5

The other two on the list didn't have full seasons (Ruth and Sisler)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

Still really rare and a big deal, even a 1% stake would be worth over $20 million.

They could give him less than that!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

There's no argument for playing a single game instead of 2.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Retail Slave posted:

Yeah but A) Canadian football is weird and wrong, and B) nobody gives a poo poo about the CFL

You are wrong about pretty much everything.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

New Concept Hole posted:

Rizzo wants some of that sweet sweet, "THAT OTHER GUY will do this forever so love me!" poo poo that the AL has been rolling in for the last 4 years.

Donaldson was just as good as Trout last year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Jays look good again, so bring on the Orioles in the wild card game (not verlander and the tigers thanks jesus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

It's literally the least hitter-friendly park in baseball this year. And a BABIP 25 points over your career mark is pretty unsustainable, yes.

OH NO his batting average might drop to 280!

• Locked thread