Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

http://i.imgur.com/ZI3UU7J.mp4

https://cdn-e1.streamable.com/video/mp4/azd5.mp4

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Goodpancakes posted:

This would be super nice. I went to see noted contenders, the Twins, and had to part with 40 bux a ticket for meh seats to see their last win of the season.

Sounds like you need to learn how the secondary market works.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Eat poo poo, Twins.

that seems needlessly hostile

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Retail Slave posted:

How long does a team have to put in a claim for a player before the next team has a chance?

There is no next team. Everyone claims and it goes off of reverse record in the original team's league, then the opposite league. Whomever wins the claim is the only team that can trade for (or just get) the player if the original team doesn't pull him back. That's why you hear about teams "blocking" waiver trades sometimes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Explosionface posted:

The Cincinnati Reds were mathematically eliminated from the NL Central last night for the first elimination of the season.

Twins and Braves were eliminated from their divisions in August. e: well, the Twins were at least. Not sure about the Braves.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 2, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

Twins are out because the Indians and Tigers have too many games remaining against each other, right? I think the Braves are still barely in contention in the slimmest mathematical sense, but it's all weirdo scenarios where the Nats have to lose all their remaining games to the Mets and Marlins and then the Mets and Marlins have to split their remaining games.

Someone on reddit did the math but yeah, due to the division games remaining the AL Central will be won with a minimum of 79 games and the Twins have 84 losses, meaning a max of 78 wins.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/802c.mp4

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

But it blocks any other team from making a possible trade. I'm not sure why the Braves wouldn't claim him.

To lower the chances of the Dodgers spite-blocking a trade they might try to make in the future

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Crazy Ted posted:

And, if you look the highlights of his three home runs from the other day

Don't mind if I do!

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/vtp_player_tracking/v1140839483?game_pk=448916

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

The best part about this is he doesn't bother to go back for his helmet or even ask for the ball.

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/773308051558375426

Also, Trea Turner 2/3 of the Nationals' outfielders not giving a gently caress is hilarious.

I wonder how pissed Harper was at Turner for barely trying to get to the ball.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

somewhere Papelbon is choking out a baby

probably but what does that have to do with this?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GeneX posted:

How can anyone actively hate the team of bartolo

It's pretty easy when you don't care about Bartolo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

How can you...not care...about Bartolo?

What is wrong with you?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah, his antics on the Mets have upgraded him to "don't care"

He'd probably get higher but the cubs level posting about him sort of detracts from it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

Any Yankee Harper jerseys were not official and the Yankees didn't make squat on them.

Plus that would probably fall under "tampering as gently caress" in the rules somewhere

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Brian Dozier now has 40 home runs.

He had five at the end of May.

14 at the All-Star break.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Of course Brian Dozier's cool accomplishment got turned instantly into Cubs chat :smith:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

this is also a pro click-through to see Wood drop further shade on West through CB Bucknor

https://twitter.com/KerryWood/status/775530055338373120

Jeeeeesus, lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Red posted:

The two previous years, he hit in the 20s, which are good totals for hitting in Target.

Target Field really only takes away from left handed hitters (and probably not as much as most people think). The "Target Field is bad for home runs" is mainly a thing because the Twins have generally been bad at home runs.

For a right handed hitter, especially one that pulls basically everything, Target Field is at worst neutral.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Red posted:

Oh hm, interesting. I was thinking of whatever park factors I'd seen - a quick search finds this: http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

Near the middle, but leaning towards pitchers for homers.

Edit: But like you said, Twins hitters can make a difference there.

The fact that they have park factors for walks listed makes me feel even more sure about it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

They're right that the stadium is, at worst, neutral since 2013 if you go through a large sample of years on ESPN's tool. I wonder what the exact influence of playing 5 of the worst 7 home running hitting teams this season is, too (White Sox, Phillies, Royals, Marlins, Braves).

Did they make a major change to the right field wall architecture? I remember Morneau complaining and can see the huge difference in HR starting around 2012 but wasn't sure what exactly they did.

They might have moved it in a few feet but I know they haven't changed the height or length of the walls in right.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

beejay posted:

Agreed, it's not fair to make Hendricks be the one to lose the last game of the sweep. Put that poo poo on Lackey.

might want to brush up on your mlb playoff rules, bud

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

You're thinking of oystertoadfish and I'm pretty sure this is it:

The funny thing about this is that it's just an e-sports double elimination bracket with winner's advantage but terribly formatted so it looks entirely more complicated than it actually is.

Well, there's one change but otherwise it's basically the same.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

a lady famous for breast-having thinks she has important opinions about race relations

This is actually dumber than anything she said

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CubsWoo posted:

A surprise narrator has a message for you

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/776646530140823552

who was the surprise narrator

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oh, that would be kinda neat

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:stonk::stwoon::stonk:

https://cdn-e2.streamable.com/video/mp4/nnzi.mp4

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

HD Version

The color guy's instant "Oh my god" :lol:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I missed the bumgarner drama can someone link me to it or describe it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grittybeard posted:

Here you go.

e: Bonus Vin Scully description in there

Vin Scully needs to just describe everything ever. Thanks! And lmao Bumgarner.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spoeank posted:

Wil Myers was the sacrificial lamb to break the "MadBum just hates minorities" trend. He's just an rear end in a top hat guys!

Exception to prove the rule

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sanctioned violence, yeah. Like boxing, MMA, or the NFL.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2016/09/22/1180575683/1474511566800/asset_2500K.mp4

I'm assuming nobody talked about this because Braves fans have moved on to football and Mets fans all killed themselves after it happened

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Twins used to bunt at Miguel Cabrera all the time when he played third

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dozier hit his 42nd dinger, and, more importantly, his 40th while playing 2B. So he actually has the AL record now. Three more to tie the MLB record.

Plus he even had one wiped clean by a rainout :(

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 22, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

makeup game from last night's rainout

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Didn't Arrieta get better because as soon as he wasn't on the Orioles he could throw a pitch they banned him from using

sort of how when Ortiz left the Twins the batting coach was like "what the gently caress are you doing just hit like you naturally would" and then he hit 40 home runs every year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Mmm no I'm pretty sure Arrieta was a genius eleventh-dimensional checkmate and not a high-upside flyer panning out beyond anyone's wildest dreams

My point is basically that getting off the Orioles is what made him good, not anything the Cubs did, but sure, what you said works too.

• Locked thread