Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

And to think there was a time when they were in first place in the West.

That time was called May and it was like 396 years ago. My grandpa used to ramble on the porch about it.

gently caress the M's for teasing us with that great stretch 3 weeks ago. Oh? Back to a game out of the wildcards? Hopes up a bit? Watch this poo poo, suckers.

Edit - five runs in the first against Hamels? We're back!!!! never doubted you guys true to the blue!

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
How in the Hell was this 21 years ago already?!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I seem to recall my neighbors using "Dive Brunansky, dive!" as some sort of catch phrase but I don't know what that was all about or if it's even related.

I would guess?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdZgAcFGzC8

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

That and also because MLB had started enforcing its own guidelines and fining umps who were 300+ pounds and couldn't pass even minimal fitness assessments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIQOtm5NaeY

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

By all accounts, Eric Gregg was a really easy-going person. It's just a shame that he was a bad umpire who didn't realize until it was too late that eating your way to about 400 pounds probably wasn't the best life plan.

Yeah - pull a cheeseburger on the base stunt on Cowboy Joe and I can't imagine how many ejections he'd try to pull.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

MechaFrogzilla posted:

They're going to kill it for a while to get our hopes up, just in time to enter the series against the Jays with a flicker of possibility.

They will be swept by the Jays, just as they have blown every such important series.

The Rangers will continue to win one run games forever.

The end.

Was joking with a friend just last night, thanking the M's for squeezing one more cycle of cautious optimism / disappointment and annoyance into the season.

They're barely afloat and all (29% chance per 538 if anyone cares what Nate says) but that's up from 2% just a week ago. Cautious optimism is fun even if idiotic. If they can manage to stay mathematically alive until they get to Minnesota next week I'll be thrilled. Gonna be awesome to have them twist the knife into my back in person.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
In the past nine days the M's have:

Gone 8-0.
Gone from 6 games out of the 2nd AL wild card to 1.5
Caught Detroit in the standings while leapfrogging KC, Houston, and NY.

This is setting me up for some top notch heartbreak, M's. Didn't think you had this in you. I know what's coming though. At some point in the next two weeks:

“If you look closely you can actually pinpoint the exact moment his heart breaks in two.”

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

The Nards Pan posted:

$8 tickets all weekend! I'm probably going Fri and Sun.

They only need the Rangers to go 7-9 to have a shot at the division if they run the table

I'm stuck waiting another week for the MN series. Dream could be over by then, or I could get to watch the disaster in person. loving it up to a possible 100 loss team that you were swept by earlier in the year sounds pretty drat Mariners Baseball to me.

Tickets for all three games regardless.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Didn't they sell her tickets to the games the last time the Cubs were in the World Series in that episode?

Kinda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peoOu83Z0DM&t=173s

The urge to :goonsay: the poo poo out of that line is hard to ignore.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

The next couple of days may change that.

AL Wildcard about to get really interesting, or the M's are going off to live on a farm where they get to run around and never want for anything.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Should I laugh or cry that the M's dumped the guy leading the AL in home runs for a racist back up catcher?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Holy poo poo if it had been Aaron Rodgers instead.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Don't think it got mentioned here, but Nelson Cruz murdered the crap out of a ball on Saturday. 2nd longest of the year behind Stanton (of course.)
http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/73955164/v1185762183/seamin-cruz-crushes-a-long-tworun-home-run-to-left

He also hit a 463 foot shot the night before that almost looks more impressive to my eye.
http://m.mlb.com/video/v1184193583/seamin-cruz-hammers-tworun-homer-to-deep-center/?c_id=mlb

Side note : "Boomstick, baby!" is possibly the worst HR nickname ever.

RIP M's 2016 season, but it was fun seeing you off.
Also, welcome to the "$100 million payroll with 100+ losses to show for it" club, 2016 Twins. The 2008 Mariners and 2012 Cubs have been waiting for you.

And I got to see these things in the wild.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Intruder posted:

I still can't believe the Astros, who were a game back of the wild card and had the easiest remaining schedule of the wild card contenders other than I guess Seattle (Toronto and Baltimore play each other, Detroit plays Cleveland, Seattle and Houston play each other, NYY plays Boston and Baltimore), lost 3 of 4 at home to the loving Angels to basically end their season

Ughhhh

I've been playing a half dozen different "drat it if they had just taken 2 of 3 here instead" scenarios in my head all weekend.

Or "Why did the Twins sweep the M's in Seattle?"

Or "Why does June exist?"

No pain soon. Just sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Now this is a story all about how
My boat got flipped-turned upside down.

• Locked thread