Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hifi posted:

his typical game is something like strike out 9 guys in 4 innings and then squeak through the 5th

Chris Archer had a .580 OPS against in August and leads the league in strikeouts, K/9, and losses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

Edwin Jackson of all people struck out 11 Red Sox in his start today.

Fucker.

It will be 2050 and Edwin Jackson will still alternate between 8IP 12K and 1.2IP 8ER.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

News: The Rays have a "peak performance coach."

quote:

ST. PETERSBURG — Evan Longoria has had the journal in his locker for years, using it for typically no more than scribbling fantasy football tips.

But this spring, at the instruction of Howard Falco, the "peak performance coach" the Rays brought into camp, Longoria grabbed a pen and got busy.

First, Longoria, for the first time he can remember, wrote out the key statistics for each year of his career to provide a base. Then, his assignment was to jot down specific numerical goals for this season, such as how many home runs he could hit.

Falco's theory was to give it permanence on paper as a point of reference to look at during the season and, more importantly, to get Longoria to think aggressively and aim high.

"It's really the first time I've ever done it," Longoria said. "In talking to Howard Falco … about making some mental changes and the possibility of things if you really believe it, and for me, he said to write some numbers down and you'll be shocked at the end of the year."

Longoria won't yet reveal his target, but with 31 homers in the books and his career high of 33, set seven years ago, clearly in sight, it seems that the exercise has paid off.

And, if anything, that Longoria may have aimed too low.

"The number I wrote down was a little bit higher than 30, so if I can get to that number I wrote down — it wasn't 40, but 40, I feel like, if I have a great month it's definitely attainable," Longoria said. "I don't want to put a limit on what's possible."

Views: Can he teach the rest of the roster how to hit too?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

In the near 9595
I'm kinda wondering if Edwin Jackson will still be alive

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Padres were cooking the (medical) books!

quote:

In a significant deviation from standard practice within the sport, San Diego Padres officials instructed their organization's athletic trainers to maintain two distinct files of medical information on their players -- one for industry consumption and the other for the team's internal use, multiple sources have told ESPN.

Trainers were told in meetings during spring training that the distinction was meant to better position the team for trades, according to two sources with direct knowledge of what was said.

Major League Baseball is close to concluding its investigation of the Padres' handling of the medical information, and the organization and individuals could face discipline.

Shana Wilson, the team's director of communications, said the Padres have been cooperating fully with Major League Baseball's review.

"At this point, it is an ongoing review, and we will refrain from comment until the process has concluded and we receive formal notification of the outcome from MLB," Wilson said. "That said, there was no direction or intent on our part to mislead other clubs with respect to a player's medical information."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh no :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm sorry :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

jesus christ