Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Darth123123 posted:

loving look at all thse locations!
http://www.shoneys.com/locations/map/?locations=all

Kinda steep if you ask me - they take a nice cut of your gross.
http://www.shoneys.com/franchise/faqs/

Oh poo poo, it must have just limited my search to the 10 closest to me. Glad to see Shoney's is still thriving!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

My city used to have two and they both closed when I was I guess 10 or 12. It was a bummer.

Breakfast buffet ruled. First plate was regular, second was bacon piled high.

One spring break some friends and I were doing an overnight drive to Florida and saw a sign for a Shoney's that was like 80 miles ahead and all agreed we were gonna have to wait until then for breakfast.

Thanks for reading about my experience with Shoney's.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Also lol they have a BREAKING NEWS section on their website.

BREAKING NEWS: Khristynia at location nine forgot to wear her non-slip shoes and slipped. Fatally, she landed in the deep fryer.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

My city used to have two and they both closed when I was I guess 10 or 12. It was a bummer.

Breakfast buffet ruled. First plate was regular, second was bacon piled high.

One spring break some friends and I were doing an overnight drive to Florida and saw a sign for a Shoney's that was like 80 miles ahead and all agreed we were gonna have to wait until then for breakfast.

Thanks for reading about my experience with Shoney's.

Well this is the Shoney's thread and that is what it is for!!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I've never been to a shoneys because I live in the good part of the country, but is it as much of a shitshow as golden corral is? like if I go to one can I expect to see children bathing in a chocolate fountain, can I expect to see people piling cheap beef into their hoverround baskets

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
It's more like an Applebees with chronic depression.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Code Jockey posted:

I've never been to a shoneys because I live in the good part of the country, but is it as much of a shitshow as golden corral is? like if I go to one can I expect to see children bathing in a chocolate fountain, can I expect to see people piling cheap beef into their hoverround baskets

it's even worse food than golden corral and nobody is ever really there in the ones in rural areas. So a few in TN are like the worst possible buffet food that sits out all day because 5 people total came in.

Church days they kill it though, pretty sure sunday's single day profit keeps the company going.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I really do remember the french toast sticks being amazing. I remember going with my family once when I was like 10 and just got two giant plates of french toast sticks.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

brb, asking the new Buffet Quality Coordinator about her post-graduate work

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
There are 3 separate locations less than an hour away from me because I live in the great state of South Carolina and not some trash state too lovely to even have Shoneys

Andy Griffith used to do their commercials. That is a man you can trust, so the food must be good.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Shoney's used to have a night where they served almost nothing but chicken wings.

That's when I began my downward slide into obesity.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's still a shitload of them in the Knoxville area. I live a couple miles away from one.

Haven't been to one since college, when some fellow diner yelled at my friend for telling a lengthy story about some guy making GBS threads himself. Dunno why he was complaining though since he was already eating at Shoney's.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
I think there is still one near me.
Went as a child with parents and remember it being gross.

Ryan's "Steakhouse" is across the street. Same idea slightly better but still gross.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Kindergarten Camp posted:

Big Poppa Pump is your hookup.

how could you post this without the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iI2ReZLmYA

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

OctoberBlues posted:

poo poo man, all you can eat french toast sticks? Sign me the gently caress up!!

I think the last time I went to a Shoney's was, maybe... 1997? I've got a hankering though!

Why yes I AM old, and also like things that are vaguely but not explicitly fried!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Lamp-warmed eggs? Sign me the gently caress up!

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
now i want to go to indian buffet for lunch but i'm poor and should probably just eat the food that i have already.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

breakfast at Shoney's for 2.99
save me some money, eased up my mind

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

What the hell is that white goo in the bottom right corner?

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

Shin00bie posted:

look at this breakfast noob

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
When I was a kid they gave out free Big Boy comics at the restaurants — four colors, glossy covers, the whole nine yards — which singlehandedly soured me on the idea of comic books for years if not decades to come:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 1, 2016

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kazr posted:

breakfast at Shoney's for 2.99
save me some money, eased up my mind

I feel like there's a certain price threshold with food where anything below that makes me really question just how the restaurant / store managed to price the food that cheap

e. I'm not entirely sure what said threshold is but $2.99 breakfast is safely below it

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Code Jockey posted:

Not really, it's not a 100% buffet type place. there's a breakfast buffet, a salad bar, a seafood bar, and a salad bar. for all other entrees you actually sit down and order from a menu and the food is brought to you. the buffets are just for those who want to maximize the amount of trash food they can get for the least amount of money. it's a classy fuckin joint, okay? a bob evans with optional bars

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Shoneys is known for their "cooler talks," when the regional manager stops in to see why the numbers are off.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I didn't know Shoney's still existed.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I have to go to Raleigh next week, wonder if I could swing a trip to Selma to visit the Shoney's there!!

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax
cross posting this

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
i'd love to go to shoney's but only the one scott steiner owns

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Sid Vicious posted:

cross posting this

we have

STRICT

BUFFET

RULES

as guaranteed by the constitution

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Shin00bie posted:

gravy

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

caleramaen posted:

The Shoneys near me went out of business about 20 years ago. It deserved it.
super duper racist

https://www.nytimes.com/books/98/04/26/bib/980426.rv101341.html

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I want to eat a lot of beige foods OP is Shoney's the place for me?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Cracker Barrel cornering the market on corny old white person food for Trump supporters basically murked Shoney's entire business model

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
it's a little slice of Silver Dollar City wherever you are

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

TenementFunster posted:

it's a little slice of Silver Dollar City wherever you are

lol ive been to that place

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

angerbeet posted:

I want to eat a lot of beige foods OP is Shoney's the place for me?

You had better believe it!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

dad gay. so what posted:

lol ive been to that place
it owned when i was 10 so i assume it still owns now

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sid Vicious posted:

cross posting this

That looks too fancy to be a Shoney's.

TenementFunster posted:

Cracker Barrel cornering the market on corny old white person food for Trump supporters basically murked Shoney's entire business model

Cracker Barrel is much more expensive though, plus the food is actually edible.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

TenementFunster posted:

Cracker Barrel

Winner of Most Appropriate Name For A Business, 1969 - *

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Code Jockey posted:

Winner of Most Appropriate Name For A Business, 1969 - *
"a wooden structure full of white people? I have just the idea!" -richard pryor, 1968

• Locked thread