Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

The closest Shoney's is in San Antonio, 80+ miles away. Looking at their location map, I feel like I shouldn't be surprised there's a huge Shoney's cluster around the hellhole of Nashville/Franklin/Murfreesboro.

Mega64 posted:

Cracker Barrel is much more expensive though, plus the food is actually edible.

Cracker Barrel pancakes rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

dad gay. so what posted:

I worked at shoneys for one day during the orientation in high school I left when they told me that my new surper hero was "shoney bear". they went out business

shoney bear sounds pretty cool

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Code Jockey posted:

Winner of Most Appropriate Name For A Business, 1969 - *

lolololol

:tipshat:

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

Drum posted:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
sorry boys, it's olde country buffet for the beale family tonight

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

reallivedinosaur posted:

Furry spotted

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

JakeP posted:

boy i sure am hungry... wish there was a trough filled with scrambled eggs somewhere
is it really a trough if it's a metal pan about 21 by 13 inches though

i think livestock would call that too small

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

Howard Beale posted:

sorry boys, it's olde country buffet for the beale family tonight

We used to have one of those. poo poo was pretty good for a buffet.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ZPwxeE6n0

breakfast at Shoney's.. for $2.99
saved me some money, eased up my mind

there's still a fuckload of them in east tn as i just said, but they're really old and crummy and the food isn't great and the buffet is like $9.00 but my dad and i go sometimes for reasons we aren't too sure of. the ones in tn are like time portals to about 1992. you see terrible, disturbing things there.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Actually a nice thing about Shoney's is when you order a coffee they bring you a whole little thermos pot of it which is convenient.

When I was a child I lived n Virginia and there weren't any Shoney's near us, but we'd see their billboards all the time on I-81 going to see family. I vividly remember once having a dream where i was a passenger on a small plane that lost control and crashed right into a Shoney's billboard.

e: we never ate at them as a kid btw, the first time i went to one was last year i guess? They're very popular in east tn for Thanksgiving which sounds depressing as poo poo to me.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Code Jockey posted:

I've never been to a shoneys because I live in the good part of the country, but is it as much of a shitshow as golden corral is? like if I go to one can I expect to see children bathing in a chocolate fountain, can I expect to see people piling cheap beef into their hoverround baskets

It's actually 100x worse than Golden Corral, as difficult as that is to believe.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

Also I think there are only like four Shoney's locations still open or something like that. :(

I just checked there's like 2 left in Florida but there's a fuckton in georgia and poo poo

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

FrankieGoes posted:

It's actually 100x worse than Golden Corral, as difficult as that is to believe.

oh yeah it's way worse, there's much less variety, and what they do have isn't as good as what i remember of golden corral which i haven't been to in 10+ years but is my adopted hometown's most famous export.

I at least remember golden corrals being fairly well lit, shoney's are dark and dingy. brass and rippled gold lamps, dark wood (the cheap kind not the fancy kind) etc.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The Shoney's nearest to me is 1,363.8 miles away and I am comfortable with this distance.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Reckon they changed the shoneys to a ponderosa where you could get a thin piece of crap steak with the cross cross grill marks but you know they didn't have to flip the fucker twice. :clint:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

shoneys is nasty. like, dirt on the floors piss on the toilet seat kinda nasty

the only restaurant i hold in lower esteem is dennys

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

two forty posted:

Actually a nice thing about Shoney's is when you order a coffee they bring you a whole little thermos pot of it which is convenient.

they also used to bring glasses of water as soon as you sit down, regardless of what you actually ordered. that is fairly cool. they might still do it, idk

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
the place where i work bought some shelving at auction a couple months ago from an old buffet called Ryan's which apparently closed with no notice. I was sent to go pick it up in a company truck. all the auction winners were removing their poo poo and it was pretty gross. there was black gunk caked all over the baseboards, and these tweakers were trying to move a buffet line that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a decade or longer. When we moved out the shelving from where it was in dry storage there were old chicken bones underneath it that someone obviously ate and just tossed under there, and the shelf was covered in all sorts of nasty poo poo. i worked in restaurants and i've never seen a place that nasty no wonder it closed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

OctoberBlues posted:

I have to go to Raleigh next week, wonder if I could swing a trip to Selma to visit the Shoney's there!!

if you're gonna drive that far out into the sticks might as well get decent food at a bbq joint run by old black people

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

shoneys is nasty. like, dirt on the floors piss on the toilet seat kinda nasty

the only restaurant i hold in lower esteem is dennys
we must have had classy Denny's by comparison because i agree but in reverse, Shoney's is the grubbier one in my experience

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

two forty posted:

the place where i work bought some shelving at auction a couple months ago from an old buffet called Ryan's which apparently closed with no notice. I was sent to go pick it up in a company truck. all the auction winners were removing their poo poo and it was pretty gross. there was black gunk caked all over the baseboards, and these tweakers were trying to move a buffet line that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a decade or longer. When we moved out the shelving from where it was in dry storage there were old chicken bones underneath it that someone obviously ate and just tossed under there, and the shelf was covered in all sorts of nasty poo poo. i worked in restaurants and i've never seen a place that nasty no wonder it closed.
When they killed Ryan's the one by me got turned into a Chinese buffet

I only went in there once and it seemed alright, but there are way better choices extremely close by so I never took a very close look. Now I am thankful in retrospect

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

Many years ago I had a couple of friends that got kicked out of a Shoney's after each took a whole container of food to the table. In their defence they did eat it all.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Monachos posted:

Many years ago I had a couple of friends that got kicked out of a Shoney's after each took a whole container of food to the table. In their defence they did eat it all.

seems like they should just charge them a bit more and let them be, if they've not wasted any

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
No, op.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

CrashCat posted:

seems like they should just charge them a bit more and let them be, if they've not wasted any

in tn saying something along the lines of "shut up and i'll give you a vicodin" to the server would probably make everything ok.
man tennessee is a real shithole.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

reallivedinosaur posted:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

oh

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
an addendum to the ryan's story: this was in alcoa tn, which is near knoxville's airport and they're pretty proud of that fact if that gives you any idea. the girl who was closing out all the auction transactions (showing people to what they'd bought etc) was even tweakier than a normal east tn person (i don't think she was from around here) because people had been coming in to pick up their items and just helping themselves to whatever other fixtures they saw at the same time.

she was the only person in the building so while she'd say "yeah okay well here's your table you bought" or whatever people would just wander in and take whatever they liked. i guess buffets even in death attract lovely people.

e: i told myself years ago i'd never actually take the bait and move to tn, and boy oh boy do i regret not listening to myself back then.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Maybe we could hit up like cracker barrel or the egg and I tho?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Nathilus posted:

Maybe we could hit up like cracker barrel or the egg and I tho?

As soon as I digest this Shoney's, you've got a deal!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Drum posted:

cracker barrel kinda rules in general tbh

fair prices and fair portions of food. you get to listen to hank williams and stare at a bunch of goofy poo poo on the walls.

its ok if its not during a rush or any time when children may be present. just sit in silence and eat with the old folks.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
They have cracker barrels all over Iowa. Some in west Des Moines.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tom Gorman posted:

fair prices and fair portions of food. you get to listen to hank williams and stare at a bunch of goofy poo poo on the walls.

its ok if its not during a rush or any time when children may be present. just sit in silence and eat with the old folks.
yeah cracker barrel kept their prices stupid low. course the quality suffered a little because of it but even waffle house costs more at this point

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Monachos posted:

Haha that's ill. :munch:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Tom Gorman posted:

They are decent peasant food to keep a peasant happy. I like their chicken and dumplings. I am prematurely 80.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Darth123123 posted:

They have cracker barrels all over Iowa. Some in west Des Moines.

Paging Jastiger

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Paging Jastiger

Sshhhh I was using the silent bat call.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

SHONEY'S BREAKING NEWS: Law enforcement on site as it is believed there are vagrants occupying Store #16. Suspected that evening shift lead Cody was high as gently caress and forgot to lock the back door behind him again.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Monachos posted:

Artist's impression of your friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
has anyone ever figured out how to win that peg game at cracker barrel

• Locked thread