Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghostlight posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Aliens in Sci-Fi are parables for interracial or intercultural interactions and when they're good they attempt to show us a better way. In TNG every time they interact with an Alien culture, or every time Worf comes into conflict with a human on the Enterprise the solution is for either the new planet or Worf to act more like the rest of the Enterprise or Federation. Racist is probably too strong of a term, but culturally imperialist definitely fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wow there's a lot to unpack there.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

Aliens in Sci-Fi are parables for interracial or intercultural interactions and when they're good they attempt to show us a better way. In TNG every time they interact with an Alien culture, or every time Worf comes into conflict with a human on the Enterprise the solution is for either the new planet or Worf to act more like the rest of the Enterprise or Federation. Racist is probably too strong of a term, but culturally imperialist definitely fits.

Source your quotes man this guy sounds like a hilarious jackass.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghostlight posted:

Wow there's a lot to unpack there.

Yeah, TNG has a huge number of issues with it. I don't think people who like it are assholes and I admit to liking the odd episode and it's got a charismatic cast. But as a whole it's incredibly problematic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He's not even the only alien on the bridge, let alone the show, and a key component of his character is that he's from the Federation.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

He's not even the only alien on the bridge, let alone the show, and a key component of his character is that he's from the Federation.

That's central to my point. He's part of the Federation but still often separate from them, much like the experience of a Black American.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I often feel like Michael Eddington in DS9 was basically right about the Federation. You know, how in their own way, they're as bad as the Borg? :v:

Anyway, as for Worf, it's not his fault for being from an inferior culture. He just needs the enlightened progressives to show him the way, just as poor people often need upper middle-class gauche caviar types to tell them what they really want and need from life (if only they would shut up about immigration and look at this bar chart which proves they're not badly off).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 27, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

no you're thinking of the space irish

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Of course it's O'Brien-era.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TNG is like 1/3 good. The rest ranges from watchable but skippable to absolute dreck. That just happens to be a better ratio than most network SF.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only good Star Trek is Beyond.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The best star trek is the one where they go back to the 80's to save some whales.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Star Wars is way better than any Trek.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tng rules you dumb idiots

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like Star Trek

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Deep Space Nine is the best Star Trek.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This seemed a lot funnier 20 minutes ago but I figured I'd still share it.

https://twitter.com/tweeterisawful/status/780829651107246081

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Star Trek is for neeeeeerrrrrddddsss!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I posted in the gbs namechange thread, wish me luck

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll miss seeing the Travis343 seal of quality!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Gbs?

E: oic its back now huh

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

site posted:

Gbs?

E: oic its back now huh

Im not particularly happy about it but eh I always wanted to get in on a namechange thread

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Thanks for the notification, let's see what I get reincarnated as.

In other news, I'm rewatching/actually finishing for the first time Jessica Jones because I'm so loving hyped for Luke Cage and even beyond my inherent loathing for how deeply the show mischaracterized Patsy Walker I really can't stand how poorly written Trish's plotlines are in JJ. None of the dialog feels naturalistic, it's all Trish/the policeman dude speaking at each other in extended monologues that feel super Tell-y and not Show-y.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really don't know why you guys want to change your #Brand

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I have always kind of regretted putting my actual RL name on my forums account

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You account name changing jerks are jerks.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

I really don't know why you guys want to change your #Brand

At first there's the obvious reason for me, but it wouldn't take much for people to see past it right away anyway. Besides, I like the name WickedHate. It just sounds cool.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Travis343 posted:

I have always kind of regretted putting my actual RL name on my forums account

You must hate your parents for naming you Threehundred Fortythree

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's pronounced Three For Three.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

It's pronounced Three For Three.

Actually it's e-a-e, but you wouldn't get it if you aren't a code monkey cybermancer like me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Actually it's e-a-e, but you wouldn't get it if you aren't a code monkey cybermancer like me.

I heard cyber is really tough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wolverine killed Cyber.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Wolverine killed Cyber.

No wonder our country is doing so bad at cyber! Canada, they're not sending us their best. They're sending short, hairy mutants.

Let's build a wall.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think I'm going to have to join that name change thread. I am not the first Die Laughing, and need to rectify my identity theft.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm not giving up this name until I can find appropriately hosed up art to support another handle.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

yw

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
"Fat critical error" does have a certain appeal to it...

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Agents of SHIELD is really making me wish for a stand alone Ghost Rider series.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well, this is not great, is it. There were some good ones in that thread but I get stuck with this huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can always buy a new one. :v:

• Locked thread