Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Luckily, in spite of Criminal getting yet another turd of an ID, Temujin contract is a fun and good card and Criminal is great again and I can confidently bring the best faction (Criminal) to worlds this year.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Basically the only thing criminals don't need to import is economy and a console.
You gotta pay inf for Desperado, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Shockeh posted:

The amount of Sky Is Falling this thread delights in is delicious. Criminals folks, totally not winning anything ever.

Criminal has and will win plenty, just not with Khan as an ID.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Maybe it's a good thing that the faction with the most tools to get into a server with zero breakers installed has the hardest time getting back their destroyed programs.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Khan would be pretty interesting if the ability worked in the way you'd hope with stuff like Crescentus and False Echo and Copycat, or on a successful or unsuccessful run, or on jack out, or on initiating a run, but passing a piece of ice is without hyperbole the least useful time to ever install a program.

VVV edit: dang there goes my khan pheromones-lamprey deck which is probably better in gabe anyways.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 14, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Is this an official card?
loving lol if so.

It's not.

berenzen posted:

Like it's not a bad card, it's just alright in HB, and I'm having issue trying to come up with one card, let alone 3, to cut to put in for this card.
It seems like a bad card to me, but I also thought museum of history was a mediocre gimmick card and we saw how that turned out...

Edit--it'll lead to blowouts when people try to get too cute with paperclip which'll be pretty funny when it happens

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 18, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

They also explicitly spelled out stuff like "open," "derived," and "hidden" information. The biggest takeaway is that it seems like you need to truthfully answer questions like "which server has the psychic field I accessed 5 turns ago." You can also use "revealed" tokens like in the original netrunner if you want, which I will probably start doing because I have the memory of a goldfish.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 20, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

AgentF posted:

"If a card is temporarily
revealed, it is derived information for as long as the player(s) is
able to uniquely identify that card."

This seems to say to me that if the runner forgets which card was Psychic Field then you aren't obliged to remind him?

You also can't lie to the runner if they ask. I assume "I don't remember" is always a legal answer to "was this the shock I ran into earlier," but IMO trying to angle-shoot like that is a pretty lovely way to play this game.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

AgentF posted:

Well, actually, on the same page:

Sounds good to me, tbh. I don't consider it angle-shooting or lovely at all in a game that's based so heavily around gaining information.
I was originally just reading these two sentences:
"If a card is temporarily revealed, it is derived information for as long as the player(s) is able to uniquely identify that card."
"A player cannot misrepresent derived information"
and inferring that because an installed card is uniquely identifiable as long as it remains installed (you're not allowed to move installed cards until they're trashed), you can't misrepresent what is on a previously exposed/accessed card. Now that I reread the section on hidden information, I think it's pretty reasonable to interpret it either way--although I think it's still unambiguously okay to mark stuff you see with "revealed" tokens of some sort or another.

At the end of the day, I don't think having to play a memory game (or, if you're using tokens to mark seen cards, a bookkeeping game) against asset spam decks is all that fun or interesting, and I don't think lying to your opponent about things that have happened on previous turns adds any depth to the bluffing aspect of the game (other than, I guess, the first time you get someone who hasn't played with you before), but if your playgroup disagrees, more power to you I guess.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 21, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Everyone popping jackson immediately is definitely the most entertaining part of Rumor Mill being a card.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

GFI actually feels really good to put in your deck.

Edit: your metagame must be very different than the ones I've played in over the past few year because GFI gets scored all the dang time, and prior to that the arguable best deck in the game was based around scoring 4/2->4/2->5/3.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 24, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

I agree. It's hard to justify running 5/3s outside of TFP and GFI, and 4/2s outside of Nisei, Oaktown, and NAPD (Efficiency Committee is good but you're usually scoring it out of hand so it doesn't count), just because there aren't any other good options (and even then Weyland still sometimes ran a single, effectively blank, 5/3 before GFI was printed as a tutor target to close out games).

However, I think giving deckbuilders a choice to need fewer scores and gaining a couple card slots in exchange for making those scores much harder has lead to a lot of good diversity in deckbuilding and gameplay in Netrunner over its life, and saying that flexibility represents a major design mistake is pretty absurd in my eyes.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 24, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

LordNat posted:

The thing I hate about making Corp decks is having to run ICE to not just get rushed but knowing they are more or less dead card slots. I always feel that if I have to play ICE after turn 3 or 4 I have already lost the game, all that seems to matter is getting up those early anti-rush ETR ICE turn 1 and then hope you never draw another ICE for the reset of the game. Only time this changes is if I am facing an ICE killer deck, but even then I am fighting a losing game over ICE at that point.

I am starting to really hope that they don't screw up L5R, I am likely going to jump ship to that day one.

Isn't the conceit of playing glacier that you're avoiding this problem? Your ice is part of your scoring strategy, so the window of time when any given piece of ice is a good draw naturally widens.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

It's probably for the best that your entire 3 breaker rig can't be both (somewhat) immune to trashing and efficient.

That being said, black orchestra seems kinda bad even if it functionally worked like paper clip (i.e. all breaks occur after pumping str):
italicized entries are $3 cheaper than how the card actually works
Quandary: $3
Enigma: $3 (run last click discount not available)
Fairchild 2: $5 or $3+brain
Fairchild 3: $6
Tollbooth: $9
DNA Tracker: $6
Lotus Field: $3
Turing: $6
Archangel: $6

DNA tracker looks great, but you're doing as bad or worse than ZU(!) everywhere else but Lotus Field (where you actually look good, surprisingly) and Fairchild 3.

Now that I've written that all down, the card actually seems interesting as an influence free yog supplement for lotus field and when your sucker counters get purged. Temujin Whizz can certainly afford it...

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 12, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

berenzen posted:

Fairchild 3 is 9 to break with BO

Not in the hypothetical universe where DNA tracker costs 6 as well. I edited my post to clarify the dumb point I was badly trying to make.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 12, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

IIRC the core set and genesis were designed before they knew things were gonna rotate, so for instance Criminal has no in faction decoder in Core.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

SanSan -> Beale is a reasonable thing, but SanSan -> Breaking News is usually backbreaking.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Firing an ABT is probably always a bad idea in a teaching game (as the teacher), honestly. Say you had hit: now the runner has to deal with a 5-15 credit swing in your favor (not counting the free cards/clicks), which isn't very fun when you understand what's happening and how to deal with it, much less when you're still trying to figure out which breaker gets you past wall of static.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Anybody else notice Best Defense can take out 0-cost resources even on a runner with no tags?

Also lol that Weyland Barrier is absolute garbo. But then, it is a Weyland card.

Off-Campus Apartment, Street Peddler and SOT are the big ones, but there's also saucy targets like ADAM's 3 starting directives.

It kills Net Ready Eyes for no influence. Yog is going to win worlds and then immediately become unplayable.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Top hat seems playable in Lela and not much else, honestly.

Edit: top hat replaces access so you can only fire it once. Even if it could fire repeatedly, the 2nd sentence of the ability stops you from getting a 2nd access.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 31, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Top Hat could, in theory, be used to play the odds a bit better - if you just recently grabbed / missed an agenda off the top of R&D, you can expect the next one to appear a few cards down. .

Please don't play with people who stack their deck.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Just have it read "gain <click> at the start of your next turn".

Also this is basically what Haas Archology AI does except that card has an absurdly bad rez/trash ratio for an asset you need to advance.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 1, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Getting real tired of NotRunner, aka Blackmail Val, DDoS, Leela and other shenanigans that don't have any interplay. Is Executive Boot Camp deserving of a slot or two at this point just to counter that?

Playing CTM/Sync/ETF with Cresium is probably a better way to have a fun interactive game vs those decks than hoping EBC will save you, IMO. Or play Blue Sun where EBC is apparently good enough even when it's not a hate card.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 1, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Playing ABT roulette is the purest form of Netrunner.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Two from the CO crew in top 16, myself included. Anyone else in this thread make it?

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 17, 2017

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Zephro posted:

Thanks for the great write-up. Could you expand a bit on your thoughts on meta diversity? I know there was GRNDL and IG and Chaos Theory and so on at Worlds. But if you just look at the top 8, it was almost entirely Whizz/CTM, which you might think is evidence of a meta without much diversity at all. Is there really enough variance in those decks to constitute a healthy meta? Plus two other popular decks were kind of "degenerate" (though I don't really like using that word, but w/e) namely NEH Shutdown Boom and DLR. Not troll questions, I'm genuinely curious as to how it shakes out at the top level and how much variation there's room for.

Sure. So my overall point (which may not have been communicated especially well) was that there's a lot of variety in terms of competitive archetypes capable of winning a tournament the size of worlds. If you look at the decks which made top 16 or just barely missed the cut, on the corp side you have CTM with bankers group, CTM with museum of history, Sync Boom, Sync with Biotic, ETF, and CI+NEH combo. On the runner side, you have Faust/Siphon Anarch (which is sort of a big tent itself), Temujin Anarch, Anarch with Eater/Keyhole, Anarch with DLR, plus toolbox Kate (!!!) and dyper Hayley in just the top 16, then an Atman Kate and Quetzal just missing the cut (probably a Nexus Kate as well). These decks all play out very differently in practice, they force other players to make very different hard decisions and compromises when deckbuilding (which I think is my favorite part of tuning a decklist), and they lead to by and large very interesting/interactive/challenging games (CI7 and DLR being the two exceptions IMO). Beyond these decks, which all arguably missed winning worlds by pretty small margins, the fact that you can take tier 2 decks like Palana and IG49 and GRNDL and Blue Sun Boom and ADAM still make day 2 and continue to do well is a pretty good sign.

Admittedly, especially for corporations, there's a ton of overlap in the cards in your deck if you want to play one of the absolute best decks, and I do think it's bad that so many of the best cards are concentrated into two factions--I think it makes it harder to build creative and innovative decks, and I think it makes the game a lot less fun for a lot of people who are primarily drawn to the deckbuilding aspect and that really sucks, and I think that it's bad for the long term health of the game/community for certain factions (weyland) to continually be vastly underpowered (although remember, a couple years ago we were having the same conversation about Criminal, the faction which probably did the worst at worlds day 2).

So with all this being said, the game is currently really fun for me, a person who likes hard, complicated, grindy, competitive games of netrunner and who is perfectly willing to netdeck when all my own brews end up sucking. I think there's a lot of diversity in the style of deck you can play, even if the very best decks are from only a handful of factions. And even then, the balance is still close enough and in-game decision making is still so important that you can get excellent results with e.g. GRNDL.

edit: CTM is really stupid tho. they should ban it and make sensie actors union and eoi cost money. and put archangel on the mwl for good measure.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 9, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Reaver triggers off trashing corp cards, right? (E.g. paying a trash cost or using imp.)

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Machai posted:

Just have it let you play an operation from hand when rezzed

I would spend the rest of my life trying to kill people with a Bandwidth -> Bandwidth -> Boom server

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

CirclMastr posted:

So what's going to happen to the core set runners being replaced? Are they just going to be illegal/unplayable now?

Probably just rotate out in lieu of Chaos Theory/Stronger Together or whatever.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Get Opening Moves as soon as you can for Jackson. But don't let us dissuade you from expanding where you want. We're chawing on about community-hoped-for-but-wholly-unsubstantiated rumors. Buy the cards you want to buy and don't let the very loud, very top-end of the player base influence you too much.

I would honestly recommend getting the HB world championship deck over Opening moves: the world champ deck has a bunch of good cards that are slated to rotate (so you can play with some of the better cards from genesis/spin without buying a dozen packs), and a bunch of sweet full art copies of cards that will stay tournament legal, so if your goal is to try and avoid purchasing too many cards which are up for rotation in the next year, it's a pretty good way to get a play set of a card (Jackson Howard) that right now will make your corp decks a lot better and more fun to play.

Edit: the world championship deck will also probably be easier to find in a store as well.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 29, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Wraparound is a lot better than Resistor right now IMO because of all the link/power tap decks running around.

Here's a little bit different take on NBN glacier that I've had some success with, using Sync instead of Sol, although it still needs work. I'm not 100% satisfied with the ice, and I'm not sure whether I should be finding space for tag punishment beyond Kegan and Data Ward. I was also running sub boost for a while, which is cute with data ward.

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/817016

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 2, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Citadel/power tap decks absolutely crush CTM and it looks like people are completely jumping ship locally because of it--there were two store champs this weekend and CTM missed the cut on Saturday and was 0% of the field Sunday. Part of it might be that people hate playing it and were looking for any excuse, but man that is a tough matchup for the corp.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Does anyone honestly believe people won't just keep Playing "legacy" netrunner after rotation and continue using Black LotusJackson Howard in almost all settings?

People will by and large play whatever there is tournament support for, so unless there is a sudden surge in ANRPC tournaments with wacky non-ffg rules, I don't think there's any sort of incentive to play with Jackson after red sand drops. No one builds decks that ignore the MWL for the same reason.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

There's a Difference between respecting the MWL/Restricted list in magic and essentially creating type 2 when there isn't a scarcity of the good cards/utterly broken nonsense to justify it

There's some seriously broken stuff in core, so if the plan is to release a core 2.0 as well, rotation could legitimately create a more balanced environment and allow them to print more interesting cards.

Also re: scarcity, remember that like 10 months ago you could buy/sell opening moves on ebay for $wayTooMuch because it was out of print and jackson had not yet become the most printed card in the game.

edit: for the record, imo the mistakes in core are (edit2: not necessarily in order of importance/degeneracy): desperado, parasite, account siphon, yog, breaking news, astro (kinda fixed via functional errata??), noise (:rip:), and possibly the overly efficient ids (kate/etf)

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 8, 2016

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

yeah i know :eng99:

i still hope they get rid of yog and parasite...

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

You don't access cards in archives (or anywhere) simultaneously, you access them one at a time in a sequence chosen by the runner.

the rulebook posted:

Accessing Multiple Cards
When accessing multiple cards, the Runner accesses them one at a time in any order he likes. For example, the Runner may access a card from HQ, then an upgrade installed in the root of HQ, and then another card from HQ, if he has the ability to do so.
When accessing multiple cards from R&D, the Runner must draw them in order from the top of the deck, and must return any cards not scored or trashed in reverse order, so as to preserve their positions in R&D.
e Runner must fully resolve his access to a card (steal it, pay to trash it, etc.) before accessing the next card. If the Runner scores an agenda that gives him seven or more points, he immediately wins the game, even if he would otherwise access more cards.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

CirclMastr posted:

Meanwhile, who's going to be the first one to build the janky "score Government Takeover from hand" deck that gets 9 advancement counters on various ice, then Subcontracts a Lateral Growth (installing Takeover) and Red Planet Couriers?

Maybe it'll be a new take on Hot Tub Time Machine, with the ice and RPC instead of Mumbad Construction Co.?

Finally, a use for pad factory.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Machai posted:

Just played a CT Baba Yaga deck in a store champ and I gotta say it really isn't worth it. The time and money you spend trying to set up the rig, even in a 40 card deck with like 9 tutors, is just not worth it. Maybe if glacier comes back in a big way she might be okay with a gordian on her, but until then she is not worth it.

Yeah the card is cool but just really bad. I think stealth is a pretty good point of comparison: you have a similar number of pieces you need to install to get a functional rig, but the total install cost for the stealth rig is like 1/3 as much, you can install your cards in any order, and you have enough influence left over for siphons or temujins.

Had they priced Baba Yaga at $0 I think the card would be fine and pretty interesting, honestly. Your setup cost would still be higher and more influence intensive than stealth, and corps can mess with your rig via best defense and power shutdown, so you need to find sacrifical constructs before you commit too much to the board...

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Yog is a disaster but I like Faerie a lot :( 1-shot breakers are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Annual Prophet posted:

Played my first few games over the holiday with a new core set. We're really enjoying it so far, mostly experimenting with unmodified criminal and HB core decks.

We haven't used the decks suggested in the OP, but that's on our list. More broadly, though, I can already tell I'm going to want to tinker endlessly with all of the corp and runner decks, but there is a daunting number of expansions and data packs, and it's hard to know where to begin. Are there any go-to packs / sets or a sequence to follow? Not looking to compete or anything, just want to build some fun / stronger sets for my group, which is mostly family.

The deluxe expansions would be good places to start, I think. They're focused on specific factions and generally have a decent number of powerful cards, so you can supplement the factions you like playing. There are 4 total:

Creation and Control: Shaper/HB. This gives you a lot of really strong runner cards (mainly shaper, but there are some very good neutral cards as well and a lot of the shaper cards get imported into other factions), plus some cool HB cards that aren't necessarily the strongest in the game but are fun to build around.

Honor and Profit: Criminal/Jinteki. Probably the weakest deluxe expansion overall. There are still decent cards in each faction, and this box has a lot of tools for Jinteki decks which are trying to kill the runner with net damage. Criminal also gets my favorite console in the game (Logos).

Order and Chaos: Anarch/Weyland. Anarch gets some decent cards and cool "build a deck around me" effects here. The Weyland cards are a little bit lower on the power spectrum than what other factions get in their Deluxe expansion (which is basically the story of Weyland), but there's still some fun stuff.

Data and Destiny: NBN/mini factions. So the idea for the runners here is that there are 3 new "mini-factions" of runners which are mostly self contained within the expansion (they've since gotten a little bit of support in the newer card packs). The mini factions are a lot of fun and play very differently than the regular 3 factions (and have fun themes IMO). They were a little underpowered when initially released (the recently printed support cards are quite strong, however), but if you like to tinker around with decks they'll provide an interesting challenge for sure. The corporation cards are really quite strong in this set in terms of both neutral cards and NBN specifically.

If I had to choose an order and was building a collection from scratch, I would probably get Creation and Control before any other supplemental products (it really includes a bunch of staple cards that go in a huge % of runner decks). I'd also maybe get the World Champion 2015 deck: The cards are all full-bleed art which is really cool, and there are a bunch of strong cards in there which you'd have to hunt down across a huge number of older data packs otherwise. The runner 2015 deck is strong as well (obviously) but the cards aren't as versatile and the strategy it employs is sort of degenerate and not very fun to a lot of people.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 2, 2017

• Locked thread