Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentF
May 11, 2009

berenzen posted:

New HB card got spoiled today. Kinda meh, I think the decks that want to run it are going to be really short on influence, and you want to run 2-3 to make sure you have it when it matters.

Card details for reference
1 cost, 2 inf HB
Name a card, remove all copies of that card in the heap from the game.

OH MY GOD YES!

Levy! As soon as possible Levy! Name Levy against MaxX. WHERE IS YOUR SAME OLD THING NOW?!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Where are these spoilers coming from?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
"If a card is temporarily
revealed, it is derived information for as long as the player(s) is
able to uniquely identify that card."

This seems to say to me that if the runner forgets which card was Psychic Field then you aren't obliged to remind him?

Also am I right in thinking that the BoN Errata means that an advanced Ice Wall won't sting the runner anymore? According to the timing diagram at the end of the FAQ, there is no "encounter end" trigger if an ETR occurs.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

The Deleter posted:

The texts reads "You are no longer encountering this ICE'" so by definition the encounter should end at the same time as the run, but writing consistent rules is really haaaaard guys :smith:

I think "by definition" isn't the right term here. Since this game has consistently shown that the wording is very important, I'd say that it is meaningful that it explicitly states that the "encounter ends" when you pass an ICE, but avoids stating this if you ETR, opting instead for the softer "you are no longer encountering this ICE". This reads the same as Film Critic's "the agenda is no longer being accessed". It states the cessation of an activity but doesn't go out of its way to say that the "encounter ends" like the other path does. The unsuccessful run also supports this since the timing diagram goes out of its way to explicitly state that the run is unsuccessful.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Static Equilibrium posted:

You also can't lie to the runner if they ask. I assume "I don't remember" is always a legal answer to "was this the shock I ran into earlier," but IMO trying to angle-shoot like that is a pretty lovely way to play this game.

Well, actually, on the same page:

quote:

However, if a player that has access to information about the game or a card and chooses to verbally share it with his or her opponent, that player is not required to tell the truth. Bluffing is an important aspect of Android: Netrunner and is allowed

Sounds good to me, tbh. I don't consider it angle-shooting or lovely at all in a game that's based so heavily around gaining information.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I ran and participated in a small casual Netrunner tournament on the weekend that ended up with 7 players overall. The tournament had a limited card-pool format with the rule that each deck can only be built from Core Set cards and any 5 Datapacks, with Deluxe Expansions counting as 2 Datapacks each. I decided to run my most favourite “fun” decks that will likely be hit by the card rotation and so should have a last hurrah. My Corp was a nasty bluf-and-flatline focused Jinteki PE with Snares, Junebugs, Mushin, Fetal AIs and all that Jinteki good stuff. It had Ronins, Neural EMP and Bio-Ethics Association to maximise the options for opportunistic killshots, and Trick of Light and 1x Biotic Labor to help facilitate an FA alternate win condition. My Runner deck was a gloriously janky Hivemind/Darwin/Medium deck, with Progenitors for all and Virus Breeding Grounds to boost Hivemind to ungodly levels where I could then break into R&D with an unstoppable Darwin and then see all the cards. This would have plenty of card draw and econ, with no real alternate win conditions planned, but instead a virus-based Anarch big rig. These decks were chosen due to how fun they were to play with the limited cardpool, but they were by no means intended weak or silly decks, but indeed would be well-positioned to completely ruin an opponent who wasn’t prepared for what I would be building towards. Onto the games!

Round 1 vs Bek (Silhouette, Jinteki PE)

vs Silhouette

This is a newer player who was attending her first tournament, so I was eager to see what sort of decks she would be bringing. The answer was very aggressive decks, as her Silhouette started running against everything and when I covered HQ in my turn two, worried mostly about Siphon, she promptly installed Sneakdoor Beta and continued raiding my hand. This results in an early steal of Medical Breakthrough, though more worrying to me is the triggering of Silhouette's expose ability, which seriously threatens my shell game. I keep my funds up and make sure to ICE Archives. Silhouette cannot be stopped and installs HQ Interface and a breaker and just continues making runs but thankfully there are few agendas in HQ. I further shore up Archives and HQ and the runs and Silhoeutte exposes thankfully come to an pause so I begin installing some remotes. Bek runs on and survives a Psychic Field, and then spends a few turns developing her board state. At this point I have managed to install and double advance a Ronin and then a Junebug. I then draw into Mushin-no-Shin and play it immediately to get a Philotic Entanglement out of HQ and on the board. My tentative plan is to score it out and then finish up and trigger the Ronin to land 5 net damage, hopefully enough to flatline the runner. On the runner's turn she plays some economy cards and makes another Sneakdoor run to access HQ and ends up exposing the Philotic. Unwilling to let me score this nasty agenda, she runs on her last click to come steal it, and the Jinteki PE damage reduces her to 2 cards in hand. Next turn I advance, advance and trigger the Ronin for the flatline.

vs Jinteki PE

This was a tricky deck full of traps and spiky agendas, much like my own. I draw a Medium in opening hand when the Corp doesn't cover R&D in her turn 1 I install it and make digging runs several times to find a Medical Breakthrough. The corp responds by installing some remotes and gathering money, but she doesn't protect R&D at all from my Medium threat. She had mulliganed, so I consider that he might be ICE starved and that I should keep up the pressure. I continue to draw and hit R&D methodically for increasingly deeper digs. When the Corp does draw into ICE she then uses it to defend HQ, which is initially puzzling to me. It could be that she was more worried about Account Siphon than anything else, and that deep digs against Jinteki PE are not really advisable anyway due to the threat of flatline via Snares and other such nasty things. I'm happy to keep running the risk from exploiting this undefended R&D and so I draw up to 6 cards (enough to survive 2 Snares) and continue with the R&D digs. The Corp is making bluff plays, installing new remotes and scoring agendas from previous remotes but I ignore the shell game while I can continue to focus on centrals. A final 6- or 7- card dig ends up finding the winning agenda, a Fetal AI that I pay for and steal. A dangerous game that I could have easily ended up flatlined on but I kept moderate precautions and the decision to take the risks pays off.

Score: 4-0

Round 2 vs Francis (Leela Patel, HB Stronger Together)

vs Leela

My first game is Corp against a criminal again, though this one doesn't expose my cards but can instead bounce advanced traps and Ronins to my hand so is probably even more dangerous. Early on I Mushin out a House of Knives and the runner ignores it to hit centrals for single accesses and finds nothing. I score the House of Knives but my centrals remain undefended and next turn I am punished for this with Account Siphon. I click up to enough credits to Hedge Fund, and keep a Beanstalk Royalties in hand, but without defending HQ I decide to not fight the Siphons and instead wether the storm, hoping the runner will run out eventually and hopefully doesn't play Deja Vu or Same Old Thing to recur them. I actually do have some ICE I draw into but I see little point in installing any due to being too poor to rez most and worry about Leela's bounce defeating the point of installing them in the first place. I commit to the remote game and leave R&D to defend itself, and I even start ditching ICE when I am over hand size. Through some more bluff installs I get about 4 remote servers out, including Bio-Ethics Association, traps and unadvanced Ronins. The Runner hits me with a Maker's Eye but is thankfully unlucky and I don't have to bounce any servers. I start zapping the runner with House of Knives to slow his runs down a little. My plan is to now focus on scoring out with Biotic/Trick of Light and with enough House of Knives, Medical Breakthroughs and Philotic Entanglement I feel confident that I can reach 7 before the runner does. This point ends up moot as the runner hits me with another Maker's Eye a few turns later and I spend the last House of Knives token to bring him down to three cards, hoping he'll hit enough net damage for a flatline. No Snares are found, but he does hit a Fetal AI which he steals, reducing him to no cards in Grip. With click 4 he draws up to a single card and that's the game. I rez a Bio-Ethics Association before the start of my turn and then play a Neural EMP to close it out.

vs Stronger Together

The choice of identity signals a high proportion of Bioroids so I prepare to be a little aggressive. My opening hand has econ and a Progenitor, so I keep it. The corp defends both centrals and installs a card. I run it to keep him honest and it's an Adonis that I trash, and I play some econ cards and install a Progenitor. The Corp then Hedge Funds, gains another credit and defends R&D again. This doesn't deter me as I want to try to keep his credit reserves down and am willing to click through Bioroids to to do this. I run against R&D with a full hand and the Corp spends all of his credits to rez a Brainstorm(!). With no way to click through this I take the full 5 brain damage, and will have a hand size of zero for the rest of the game. I continue the run and find no agenda, and then with nothing to lose and a broke Corp I run HQ twice and manage to find both a Priority Requsition and Advanced Concept Hopper. I'm not sure how I feel about trading 5 brain damage for 5 agenda points. Next turn I draw into I've Had Worse and play it to draw Day Job, Sure Gamble and Progenitor. Day Job is effectively useless and I can't quite afford Sure Gamble, so I install the Progenitor and have to ditch the other cards. The game from there is me running empty-handed through a Brainstorm for a few turns, a single stolen agenda or point of damage away from the game ending, with nothing in the world except for the two fleshy ovals laid out on the table in front of me. More runs on R&D reveal nothing, and the corp is unwilling to rez the second R&D ICE, so I transition to HQ to hope that the winning agenda can be found in there. What I access instead is the single Snare out of a full HQ, which was also holding two agendas that would have won me the game. As such there was a decent chance of me winning a game that I had absolutely no business winning, but instead the Snare brought my mad scramble to an end.

Score: 6-2

Round 3 vs Stuart (Chaos Theory, Jinteki PE)

vs Chaos Theory

I look forward to seeing what Chaos Theory decks can do, and wonder how much the smaller deck-size will work in my favour. Unfortunately the Runner drops a Feedback Filter on the first turn, and shortly after a Magnum Opus, and I realise I'm going to have my work cut out for me. With decent money reserves, Feedback Filter can potentially soak up all the net damage I dish out. The more realistic threat is the understanding that most PE flatlines are opportunistic - you wait for an opportunity to arise and then you flatline the runner by a single point. Every 3 credits the runner has is another point of net damage I need to draw into and set up, each one making the kill significantly harder. I race into the shell game to try to intimidate the runner before he can get a big rig set up or too much of a credit bank. With a Mushin I am able to bluff out and score a House of Knives, and manage to score a second House of Knives from face-down unadvanced a couple of turns later. I hope that the pressure of House of Knives is enough to slow the runner down and drain the Feedback Filter credits. Instead, the runner shortly hits me with an Account Siphon (out of Shaper!) and although I double-zap him, the Runner then goes on a remote killing spree, trashing Ronins and Snares that I am too poor to afford. I get my credit reserves back up to re-enable Snare but the loss of these remotes has been a significant setback. The runner steals a couple of agendas and I don't have a lot of options available. I have now built up a Junebug and have two Tricks of Light in hand, so I can trigger a Ronin but the runner should easily survive it, or I can try to FA out some 3-advance agendas but I'm not drawing into them. I end up committing to the idea of the flatline plan as the runner encounters regular net damage that Feedback Filter keeps intercepting but it keeps the Runner's credit reserves low and he ends up on 2 credits for a few turns in a row while focusing on centrals. My deck is very ICE-light as R&D is supposed to defend itself with Snares and Fetal AI, but two Snares have already been trashed. With the runner's repeated runs through a Bailiff on R&D I now have plenty of credits to trigger the third Snare but instead agendas come up and the runner wins. He had the resources to defeat me and defense against flatline retaliation and aggressively pushed the advantage to prevent me from having time to work on an alternate win condition.

vs Jinteki PE

There have been quite a few PEs floating around the tournament (including mine), so I should have a fair idea on how to deal with them. I draw into a decent hand with Progenitor, economy and I've Had Worse. the IHW is going to be vital in a PE matchup but I play the first one manually, correctly guessing that I'll draw into another one before too long and the card draw gets me into some excellent cards. Unfortunately I run R&D and hit a Snare and these excellent cards end up in the bin. I decide to focus on keeping my hand up and setting up a Hivemind/Medium to run the gauntlet of a Jinteki R&D and win in a few glorious runs. Often this deck has trouble drawing into Progenitor but I draw into all three of them very early. The much bigger problem is that the earlier Snare hit one of my Darwins and I'm having trouble finding the second one, or a Djinn to tutor it out. During this time I'm playing Day Jobs and Deuces Wild for card draw, focusing solely on my Virus rig while ignoring the Corp's shell game almost entirely. This results in two House of Knives being scored, one after another. Throughout this time I've now had a Medium and Hivemind installed, and the Hivemind buffed over time with Virus Breeding Ground, and having installed a Deep Thought I can now see the top card of R&D every turn. This does me little good as R&D is defended and I am unwilling to test R&D ICE without at least a killer. I do actually have a Mimic in this deck for such a matchup but with errant net damage having killed it I am forced to continue digging. The Corp purges virus counters a few times to disable the Deep Thought but I balance rebuilding Hive Mind with digging for my breaker. I eventually come into the first Djinn about eight cards from the bottom of the deck, install it and fetch and install a Darwin, which happened to be the next card in the deck. At this point I have precious few cards available for fending off net damage, but with a Mental Health Clinic on the board I ensure I keep a healthy hand of 6 cards at all times and I begin some heavy Medium runs. The R&D ICE turns out to be Sensei into Komainu, so with Darwin and E3 Feedback Implants I let the Sensei fire and break Komainu at a reasonable cost. A few early digs gets me quickly up to 3 agenda points, and then 5 and I'm looking for the final agenda to close out the game. A House of Knives token hits my final I've Had Worse and I draw the remaining 3 cards in my Stack, from now on going it on grip cards alone. The Medium runs continue but I continue to find only ICE and some operations, the biggest dig results in accessing 9 cards but the final agenda is not to be found. The Corp purges virus counters and I slowly rebuild and start testing HQ. I find an Inazuma that Darwin can't reach so in a panic about the next ICE I spend a card with Null to let Darwin break it. The next ICE was a Shiro that I didn't care about, based on my knowledge of the top three cards of R&D, so I regret spending the card on Inazuma but reason that with a single card left I can still afford to steal a winning agenda with a card to spare. I did notice that one of the Corp's upcoming card would be a Swordsman that would dash my hopes in R&D so I race to rebuild the Hivemind and as I do so he overwrites an advanced card in a scoring server. He'd been scoring agendas from this server before but I had left him to it while focusing on R&D, and at a certain point he left an advanced card sitting in it for several turns so I was willing to gamble it was a failed trap and not a waiting Ronin. It turned out to be a trap, I imagine, as he overwrites it for a scoring attempt. I become certain the new card is an agenda, so I briefly weigh up a six-card dig on R&D or intercepting the scoring attempt and I opt for the latter. The first card is Chum and the second a doubly-advanced Ice Wall, but by now my Darwin has reached up to strength 8 so I effortlessly break in and access the card, which indeed is a 2-point agenda. Unfortunately that agenda is a Fetal AI, and so the two-card zap flatlines me before I can steal it. I had lost by a single card, and if I had kept the card I spent on Inazuma I could have stolen the Fetal AI, winning the game and then flatlining victoriously. I ask my opponent what the top six cards of R&D are and it turns out that the first agenda I would access would be a Fetal AI as well. My opponent had played well and made no mistakes and together with poor luck on very deep R&D digs and burning my own deck to look for Darwin it was enough to make me subject to the same PE flatline that I had been subjecting others to before this point.

Score: 6-6

Wrapping Up

I win exactly half my games and end up placing exactly in the middle at 4 out of 7. I was tied for 4th place with one other player, actually, but with my second- and third- round opponents ending up in the top three I have a solid Strength of Schedule that wins the tiebreaker. The prizes are the beautiful full-bleed cards from the World Championship Packs and I walk away with a 3x Eve Campaign for my efforts. I didn't place as high as I thought I would but I had some of the most exciting, dramatic games of Netrunner I ever had. My games alone had sneaky PE killshots, massive Hivemind/Medium digs and a Brainstorm hit on a fully-loaded runner, and I only played against half the players. I was hearing about early Scorch kills and interesting Making News decks from the other games, and to me it really seemed like the 5-pack restricted format was bringing out the creativity in deckbuilding and exciting lower-powered games that I thought it would. I've been gradually widening the card pool with each successive tournament, but at this stage I think I'm happy to just leave it here and run 5-pack tournaments from now on.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Thank you very much. For whatever reason I always seem to take decks that win or lose fast. Makes for exciting matchups, even if not the most competitive. I might have some sort of Netrunner ADHD.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I don't even really mind netdecks in this format, as you still have to put deckbuilding effort into making them work in the restricted format. Some are more viable than others, or come with hard sacrifices to make, so the player still has to be creative to make them work.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Time for a write-up of my hasty and likely incorrect first impressions about Escalation!

This is the Decoder pack, with one for each runner faction. The icebreakers in this cycle are following consistent mechanics, with Anarchs getting breakers that buff and break subs together and can be installed from the heap, criminals getting Khan breakers that can return to the grip to derez ICE, and Shapers getting stealth breakers that keep their strength. Of these three, the Shapers are probably getting the best breakers, though Paperclip has unparallelled efficiency as a Fracter and tbh Black Orchestra isn't too bad either. A decent Decoder for those who don't want to play Yogsucker and won't tolerate the awfulness of Force of Nature. Code Gates should be the Anarchs' weakest ICE type anyway, and Shapers should have the best breakers compared to the other runner factions. These are facets of the original Netrunner colour pie, but got kinda derailed early. As early as Core Set if you consider Yog being an exceptional Decoder when Anarchs should be bad at them. If the new cycle is to trying reintroduce and reinforce this aspect of the colour pie then I'm in favour of it.

Despite the inherent expensiveness of having to keep reinstalling the Khan breakers I'm now tempted to make a Khan deck to try and make it work as the designers foresaw when making the cards. The breakers are sort of pricy to use but the biggest issue is their install cost. Such a deck will need to focus on Sahasrara, Technical Writer, Autoscripter to recoup this cost, but may end up as a large burden of support cards to make basic breakers work, and Khan only has a 40 card deck. Compare against the ease of getting into HQ and playing Emergency Shutdown.

The new Shaper stealth breakers keeping their strength may actually be problematic for the game, despite the appeal that it might bring out the Tinkerings and Paintbrushes. The problem is that Stealth rigs were previously defined as having powerful breakers that could get into any server for very cheap, but with the limitation that you could only do so once per turn. The Corp had decent counter-strategies to Stealth in that they could stack servers and "tax out" the stealth credits, or that they could use defensive upgrades such as Ash/Caprice to force the runner to make multiple successful runs. Stealth breakers keeping their strength works against the first counter-strategy, and the second one is also endangered by all the excellent additional sources of stealth credits such as Net Mercur, the upcoming Smoke identity and even Mirror. I have a vague feeling of unease that a full Shaper stealth rig might be out of control and dominate the meta. I suppose we will wait and see, and think about appropriate counters if that eventuality occurs.

Scarcity of Resources looks excellent for two reasons. One is that it is a neutral, 1-cost, 0-influence current and so makes a cheap counterspell for Corps. The only other netural Corp current is the situational Lag Time whereas Runners have the excellent Employee Strike and Freedom Through Equality, so this is good. The other good thing about Scarcity is that it's ability is powerful. Dropping this early will be crippling against the right runner decks. Needless to say that DLR decks will be slowed down dramatically, but also slows down Liberated Accounts, Aesop's Pawnshop, Daily Casts, Professional Contacts, likely a lot more. A strong ability; only some Runner decks would be unimpacted by this current.

First Responders is a little worrying for kill decks as the drawing of a single card is often the difference between flatlining the runner and not. This card is cheap enough to use to make a Jinteki PE flatline a real headache, much more of an obstacle than even feedback filter. This doesn't seem novel as Sports Hopper previously introduced the "draw cards to avoid flatline" approach, but a key difference here is that First Responders doesn't trash itself and so can be used again and again. The recourses for a flatline Corp are then to, 1) exhaust the runner's deck completely so First Responders has nothing to draw (the focus of the new Jinteki ID, also Levys can be hunted with Ark Lockdown), 2) tag the runner and trash first responders (meat damage decks can take this approach, similar to having to trash a Crash Space. Net damage can't do this), or 3) trash First Responders using non-tag methods such as Enforcing Loyalty, Hatchet Job(?).

Alexa Belsky looks to be another card in the series of Jackson replacements and this is a strategy I'm in favour of. The one deadly secret that Netrunner players don't want you to know is that Jackson Howard just did far too much utility in one card. He did powerful draws, baited runs, saved agendas at instant speed and recurred useful cards. Just like how the spoiled Pre-emptive Action only does recursion, the new Alexa Belsky only does instant-speed agenda saving. In this case, you stockpile agendas (or other sensitive cards such as Boom, Director Haas, etc) in HQ and trigger Alexa to dump them into R&D. The upside over JHow is that this affects more than 3 cards, potentially a huge amount of agendas can be kept relatively safe if you have increased hand size due to e.g. Cybernetics Court or Cerebral Imaging. More upsides is that Alexa is not removed from the game and so can be used repeatedly, and the rez-to-trash difference is greater. The downsides against JHow is that you can't recur cards, she doesn't offer increased draw and, most vitally, the runner can pay credits to prevent you from offloading the agenda. This ties into the credit-count theme of the cycle that you get in other cards such as Observe and Destroy or Beth Kilrain-Chang, in that the Runner can only realistically prevent you if they are rich. It will mostly be a downside, I think, but the silver lining is that this prevention ability comes with two solid sources of bluff potential. The first is that you could potentially drain the runner by triggering Alexa Belsky when you don't need to. For example the runner hits you with a Legwork and despite having no agendas in hand you trigger Alexa anyway and bluff that the runner will feel obliged to drain their credit pool to stop you. The second bluff potential comes from the shuffle prevention being random, and so the runner doesn't actually know if your held agendas went back to R&D or not. They might hit HQ looking for an agenda that is now long gone, or they might give up running on a HQ that still has an agenda. The best runner play might be to pay 2c to prevent a single card from being shuffled, with the guarantee that they will then access that one card. Any ability that gives your opponents more options, and thus flexibility, must be considered to have a downside.

Observe and Destroy. Kill a Plascrete. Hit the runner with Hard Hitting News, then Closed Accounts and Observe and Destroy to your heart's content. 1 inf might make this a suitable card to splash into Weyland. Trashing _any_ installed card is huge but for whatever reason I consider this a card to help facilitate a flatline. Requires a tag so you would use it for Programs and Hardware, since you can trash Resources when the runner is tagged anyway, with the possible exception to avoid a Wireless Net Pavilion tax.

Didn't think much of Door to Door with its low trace but now I can see a decent use in Making News. 3 credit tax to the runner every turn is no joke.

Finally, Fairchild 3.0 looks like a worthy addition to the excellent Fairchild family. Some people have been calling DNA Tracker the Jinteki Tollbooth but I’m also seeing Fairchild 3.0 as the HB Tollbooth. It’s efficiently costed, it taxes the runner solid amounts of credits and it can end the run. The third sub in particular is an excellent target for Ravana. The fact that the 4th datapack also appears to have Fairchildy-looking cover art makes me suspect a Fairchild 4.0. One Fairchild every datapack!

The new Fairchild is the first 3.0 bioroid that we’ve seen. An interesting observation can be made in that the 2.0's often have 3 subs and so, with the exception of Viktor 2.0, you can't really click through them in a turn. This is because you have to break the subs in pairs, which requires 4 clicks for breaking alone, and together with the 1 click for initiating the run this means that 2.0s are safe from being entirely clicked through. The benefits are that you land one sub guaranteed and the ICE can host Bioroid Efficiency Research or Oversight AI fairly safely (barring breakers, E3, extra click, bunch of other stuff).

Not so with Fairchild 3.0! Because the subs are broken in triplets instead of pairs, this means you can run on click 1 and break all subs with clicks 2-4. The subs are bigger and badder, the strength is higher, but curiously enough you can click through a whole 3.0 in a turn but not a 2.0.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Talk of Door to Door at a lunchtime Netrunner game has me thinking about this new card. Firstly the name and theme are amazing. The artwork is even more amazing. It makes me desperately want this card to be a good card. The card is strongly thematic, carrying that sense of vague-yet-pervasive threat that characterises Weyland. They threaten you continually, and if you refuse to take action that makes you vulnerable, then Weyland are unafraid to come and get you. When society collapses and Jinteki are hiring assassins and NBN have drones, Weyland just have paramilitaries massacre an entire building to ensure they get you.

Now the card rules. It reads: “When the Runner’s turn begins, trace1 – If successful, do 1 meat damage if the Runner is tagged; otherwise, give the Runner 1 tag.” It should be noted that this is initially ambiguous. It can read:

code:
When the Runner’s turn begins, trace 1:
    * If successful,
        - do 1 meat damage if the Runner is tagged;
        - otherwise give the Runner 1 tag
or it can read:

code:
When the Runner’s turn begins, trace 1:
    * If successful,
        - do 1 meat damage if the Runner is tagged;
    * otherwise give the Runner 1 tag
It depends on whether the “otherwise” refers to the Runner being tagged or the trace being successful. It seems to me like the intent would be the first interpretation, so I will discuss it in that context.

The idea of pinging an already-tagged Runner is decent because it brings the kill closer to reality. Suddenly a Sports Hopper and full hand doesn’t protect you from a double Scorch. But I think the biggest benefit is being able to give the Runner a tag. Giving the Runner continual tags to clear is a strong strategy for inflicting tempo loss on the Runner, and is the basis behind Argus, Data Raven, TGTBT, Casting Call, Restructured Datapool, Prisec, Manhunt, City Surveillance, etc. This is a click and 2 credits that the Runner has to waste every turn, increased to 3cr if you are SYNC, possibly decreased to a click and 0-1cr if the Runner has Crash Space, Networking, etc. Because of this tax the Runner is incentivised to prevent the tag from landing. This can be done with New Angeles City Hall but the simplest way is for the Runner to beat the trace.

This is the weakness of the card, I think, and its most salient feature. A 1-strength trace is nothing. 1-link Runners will laugh at you and if you increase the strength of the trace you are Vamping yourself. Increase the strength too much and the runner simply takes the tag and clears it, making you both spend money. This is because the trace happens at the start of the Runner’s turn, so they always have the option to clear it unless you have two scored False Leads ready to steal their entire turn from them.

So there’s a first thought. You can use False Lead to steal some of the Runner’s clicks. Then maybe you buff the trace high enough that the Runner takes the tags and you use this opportunity to rez a Zealous Judge so the Runner has to go hunt that too. He’ll have two clicks to do it so this isn’t really an airtight plan. I just don’t see you keeping the post-trace tag on the Runner by the time your turn starts. The only realistic scenario I can see is a Runner that’s gone tag-me and so doesn’t care about tags simply accumulating. This might open up a Traffic Accident, Psychographics or Boom that you couldn’t play before but at this point you have a tag-me runner and so chances are you didn’t need the Door to Door and can rely on the other sources of tagging you have.

Second, closely related thought, is you make the runner unable to beat the trace because they’re already tagged and you played Closed Accounts and they have no drip economy. Then it’s three clicks to gain 2cr and clear the tag and that’s crippling for the Runner to compete with. Doesn’t seem like a reliable strategy though.

The third thought, and first real one, is we buff the trace to make it something worthwhile. If it were a strength 3 trace in the first place this would be seen as a worthwhile and even strong current that stands on its own no problems. Unfortunately trace 1 is too weak so we look to ways to buff strength. Firstly we have the NBN identity Making News with recurring credits that, if unspent during our own turn, allows us to hit the Runner with a free strength 3 trace at the start of their turn. This is a legitimate tax to levy on the Runner and so I see it as the most viable way to make this card worthwhile, and doesn’t require a combo since the recurring credits are built into your ID.

Fourth thought is related, which is to make use of Primary Transmission Dish from Upstalk. This gives you a 4-credit tax to the runner, though the Runner will be incentivised to trash the Dish as soon as possible (or kill the current). The recurring credits aren’t tied to an ID so you can play this combo in either Weyland or NBN, for roughly similar influence spends either way. It is a combo, though, so you need to both find cards to pull this off, although you can get the Door to Door started earlier and then just install the Dish when you draw into it.

Fifth thought is Surveillance Sweep until a colleague pointed out that this is a current and so we can’t have two currents at the same time. This was disappointing news to me.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
It's very clearly Mars Weyland. Not everything that's non-Earth is Space, you bigot.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Also I think Merger is their strategy for 3/2s now. They're available, but they're nerfed considerably. This makes HB stand out as having 6 available 3/2s post-rotation, with 4 for NBN and 4 for Jinteki (6 if you count the 2nd and 3rd Medical Breakthrough). If there are any future 3/2s I expect them to come with significant downsides.

With that said, now that Astro is 1-of and Merger is such a liability, I would be happy for SanSan City Grid to come off the MWL. SanSanning a Beale is a legit play and kinda pricy. It was just the SanSan into Astro token that made FA so annoyingly brutal.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The problem with playing events/operations at instant speed or during runs is that many of them can be used to initiate runs. You use that ICE's sub to play An Offer You Can't Refuse and now the runner is running while she's running. If both runs are on the same server then the runner can run past herself. At this point the FAQ doubles in length.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The "can't be avoided" seems like a deliberate tweak; it's not a common enough phrase to be used without reconsideration of the card. I wonder what they had in mind that convinced them of the term's inclusion.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
So I went to a small (10 person) draft tournament last weekend and ended up winning it! I took away a 3-of for the full-bleed world champs NAPD Contract and a custom Astroscript token that one of the Adelaide crew made with his laser cutter. We played to three rounds, with 4 of us tied for 1st after round 2. Luckily I swept round 3 and nobody else did, so that handed me the tournament although it could have easily to one of the other players. Indeed the player I faced in round 3 had swept me at the previous tournament. As it was, my cards came out just right and the last round win secured 1st.

I had drafted Jinteki RP and Kit and after taking care of economy, ICE, breakers, etc, I found that a lot of the best cards for my chosen IDs were just flowing through to me. So I ended up with an RP deck with 3 sundews, lots of other drip econ, Nisei Mk II, a remaining agenda suite of 3/2s, taxing and spiky ICE, and a Biotic Labor to close it out. My Kit deck had Gordian Blade, Corroder, Mopus, like 4 program tutors, and a whole heap of dirty tricks including Tinkering, Paintbrush, Vamp, Wanton Destruction, Inside Job, DDoS. In all honesty the decks I built were almost as strong as constructed decks, due to all the amazingly suitable cards that I was getting that nobody else wanted. The minimum size for Corp decks is 30 but I pushed my RP deck up to 39 cards (16 agenda points) because I felt that, as glacier, I’d need the extra time for my games. I think this turned out to be a good call. My Kit on the other hand was aggressively cut down to 30 cards exactly and in most games I had Magnum Opus and Gordian Blade out and installed by turn 2. I had a Femme for Sentries but I never installed it, instead using tricks and Tinkering to deal with any Sentries that came up.

I ended up going 5-1 in the tourney, with Kit consistently closing out games with remote sniping and RDI, and my RP usually scoring Nisei and then 3/2s behind simple gearchecks. I dropped my 2nd game with RP against a Sunny who had a full breaker suite out early and crazy money was hitting R&D through a Tollbooth in order to snatch the winning agendas.

Highlights of the tourney:
  • Having ungodly money in my third Corp game with three Sundews ticking down. One was trashed but I reached maybe 25 credits at my height, which is huge for a draft game. I had no problem paying to Biotic out the final 3/2 to secure the win.
  • Sniping remotes with Kit, using increasingly dirty tricks. I would run a remote and use Gordian to break whatever single ICE was defending it. My opponents would then double-ICE the remote and I would suppress the outer ICE with DDoS. After that they would try again once DDoS was spent and I would Tinkering the inner ICE. Keeping Kit out of a server can be a tall order.
  • In my first Corp game my opponent decided to check my face-downs in Archives and ran on click 4. Unfortunately for him he had no Killer so when I rezzed an Ichi 1.0 on that server it wiped his rig, trashing an Inti and Refractor. Recursion is relatively rare in Draft so I was then able to close the game at my leisure by scoring out behind an Enigma.
  • My first Runner game involved a fairly new player IAA a card in a server I had easily got into the previous turn. I focused on building my rig rather than running this obvious trap but the card turned out to be a Utopia Fragment. Truly excellent bluffing from a new player.
  • My 3rd round opponent had made what was easily the best play of the tournament in the previous round. Playing a Razor Tree deck the game was called to time in his opponent’s turn, with his opponent on 5 AP vs his 4. He has one more turn in order to get at least an extra point, so he considers his options for a while, considers the board state and then begins his turn. He spends a first click I think on econ, maybe a Beanstalk, and then for click two he plays An Offer You Can’t Refuse and nominates a HQ with two unknown ICE. The runner spends ages vacillating between deciding to run or not; to run means facing two unknown ICE with 0 credits in his bank and 3 cards in HQ and then committing to an access, to refuse means handing over an agenda point and giving up on the win. Eventually the runner decides that it's a bluff and agrees to the run. He approaches the first ICE which isn’t rezzed. He approaches the second ICE and the Corp pays to rez a Merlin, and reveals a second Merlin from his hand, securing the flatline. Not only the best play of the tourney, but also the best play of AOYCR I’ve seen and an excellent use of the Grail that was floating around for much of the drafting.

All in all I had a fantastic time, and can’t recommend draft tourneys highly enough. You basically get to play two fun games in a row, as drafting is itself a very fun, strategic and highly social activity (I had fun talking poo poo to the adjacent Blue Sun player saying that I was going to deny all his Oversight AIs). Netdecks don’t really exist in this format, as you have to build your decks with the cards that you got, so the game rewards deck-building basics and creativity rather than copying decks from the Internet and “customising” them with small meta-based tweaks. The end result is that everyone has relatively rubbishy decks that end up matched fairly well against each other, and you get to see rarely-used cards played that otherwise would never get their chance to shine.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

bazomatic posted:

More and more I find myself wishing there was a card like mass install but for hardware.

Autoscripter?

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

Not French, but somewhat Francophone. Yes, réduire de is "reduce by", "reduce to" is réduire à.

Any chance the translator hosed up? :unsmith:

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Marcus Batty / Enforcer 1.0 new meta :c00lbert:

Edit: Nooooo too slow! Now working on counter-Enforcer strats.

AgentF fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 4, 2017

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Parasite errata one-per-deck?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Important announcement: People need to stop calling Anarch "red". Anarch cards are not red, they are very clearly orange.

Instead have a look at a Jinteki card. That's a nice red.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Netrunner discussion: what color is quetzel's dress?

Knowing the Android universe it probably shifts colours continuously.

That or it's actually a genetically modified patch of scales to complement her hair.

WFGuy posted:

You can't use the word 'orange' with the Netrunner community! You know how many Deus Ex fans there are in it? You'll be inundated with "It gave me lemon-lime!" responses all day!

AgentF fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 11, 2017

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Static Equilibrium posted:

Blood Money and Quorum are probably the best two packs to buy for runner right now, not sure about corp.

Yeah, and not because they broaden the game experience, or promote fun new playstyles, or have interesting synergies with the existing cardpool. It's because of brokenly good power cards.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Made 28 credits with a single click just now when cashing out an NASX. Mucking around with Gagarin for the first time and taking some ideas from the Microtransactions deck on NRDB. Did you know that if you play Hedge Fund, and then this triggers 2x Indian Union Stock Exchange, that all three of those cards trigger NASX? I ended up on 47 credits and Sandburg let me have strength 9 Vanillas and strength 17 Bulwarks. A fun game.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Well Astroscript was an Errata, and my feeling is that they will never go back and forth on card errata. They're permanent in a way that the MWL isn't.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

The fact that heap order matters (a dumb thing anyway) because of one stupid draft ID is already bad, adjacency would be worse

Heap order matters because the rulebook said so way back at Netrunner's release. It specified that Heap order matters and Archives order doesn't and I wondered what this difference might be planned for.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Baron Snow posted:

So can someone tell me if the following has some major design error I missed?

Looks largely fine to me. The biggest question I have is what are you going to do with 2x Archer? You don't have cheap agendas you want to sacrifice, and I'd rarely forfeit a 3/2 to rez Archer. If you're banking on rezzing the Archer for free with Priority Requisition then you need to consider:
  • PriReq is a 5/3 and quite hard to score, snd highly unlikely to bet on reliably scoring
  • If you're rezzing Archer with PriReq then you can't bet on Archer to defend the scoring of PriReq. Your deck effectively has two fewer pieces of ICE (though 16 is still alright)
  • It's a combo, so you need to have that Archer down and in a useful position already before you IAA and then AAA the PriReq.

Not saying it's a bad plan, just comes with extra complications. Unless your plan is to forfeit a 3/2 or 5/3 to rez Archer the old fashioned way in which case it might be a bad plan.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Honestly, ignoring the hosed up templating, I kind of appreciate it. Compare it to SEA Source, which punishes a Runner for, you know, running. Just make the punishment happen regardless of runner action. Don't punish them for doing what the whole game is supposed to be about.

Edit: To expand, the mere existence of SEA source is akin to the MTG card Standstill. Only less so, because when a Standstill is in play you know it is in play so you break it and move on. With SEA you have to act like it's a threat at all times.

Disagree. SEA Source punishes the runner for running when they are unprepared. If the runner fears Scorch they can slow down, stop running, get their defenses up, keep track of the Corp credit pool. They can play around it. This is the heart of what makes Weyland Supermodernism such a fun matchup.

This new card can be played around only if the runner has enough money. It's not impossible to do, but there are also Corps capable of making a whole lot of money by the early game. There is less of a way to play around it.

The Breaking News & 24/7 combo was whack because there wasn't really any way to play around it. The Corp lands two tags on you regardless of what you do and don't do, and then you get Boomed. The only thing you can do is have counter-tech on the table. That was in a terrible design space.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What's the natural predator of Asset Spam? Apocalypse? Scrubbers?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Just played a big game of Magic with some borrowed deck and goddamn did it remind me how much of a better game Netrunner is. Lots of durdling, much lower interaction, decks that largely play themselves, hugely increased complexity for no real gains in gameplay.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Regionals this Saturday, no idea at all about what Runner to bring. Give me ideas people.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Is it safe? People are saying that Moon is going so fast that not even Whizzard can keep up. The top Moon deck is running like 3 barriers, 3 code gates and 3 sentries. Should I just give up on competing with the board state and go aggressive with early high-impact run events? Kit/Leela/Adam with Indexing?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
:siren: WALL OF TEXT TOURNEY REPORT INCOMING :siren:

Saturday 3rd was the Netrunner Regionals for Adelaide. The field was sixteen players, the top half of which would get a playmat, with the top player getting a bye at Nationals. There were also alt-art cards (Smoke) and counters for all attendees. I had originally not expected to go due to a scheduling conflict but after juggling things around I freed up my Saturday and I was off to Regionals! Due to this change in expectations I had not actually done much preparation for the tournament. I was determined to bring the HB: Architects of Tomorrow deck that I had been working on for a long while, but didn't have any plans for Runner. I have a staple Leela Logos deck that I've brought to previous tournaments and with some encouragement and helpful advice from workmates I made some needed improvements and dusted it off for yet another tourney.

In short, the HB deck is the culmination of an idea that I've been working on for a long time, which is that bioroids work best when they are cheap and stacked deep, allowing for extreme tax and crippling never-advance plays. The Leela deck begins by pushing the Corp over and stamping on their neck, playing hyper-aggressively and trying to land high-impact run events. When the attacks run out of steam it then abruptly changes course by installing Logos and building resources, biding time until the Corp scores an agenda and you can punish them with devastating counter-punches. Decklists will be in another post, probably tomorrow.

Game 1 vs Beck (Jinteki: Power Unleashed & Andromeda)

Runner vs J:PU

This game started with something resembling the Leela deck's best-case scenario, with unprotected central servers leading me to land multi-access run events. Stolen agendas then let me strip the ICE from another central where I land more blows, including Siphons. After a few turns I had largely dismantled the Corp's board state, drained their money and stolen two agendas, a Medical Breaktrhough and Fetal AI. The Fetal burned and triggered the J:PU ability, and I would also get stung later by a Bio-Ethics and follow-up Neural EMP when I ran to trash it. But without House of Knives and with the Corp too poor to Snare, the J:PU ability didn't end up taking much of a toll on my Stack, and the biggest batch of damage I took at once was a never-advanced Philotic Entanglement score hitting me for 2 damage and a mill. Instead, the real damage came in the form of a Harvester on R&D that I didn't expect the Corp to rez because I forgot that Jinteki have decent ICE they can rez for 1 credit after you Siphon them. Hitting the Harvester without a breaker and with a full hand resulted in the loss of 6 cards from my stack, and although my grip markedly increased in card quality from this, the loss in potential hit points was felt. My deck is a very poor deck so I would hit the Harvester again, this time intentionally, when I had a good window to land a Maker's Eye but didn't have enough credits to install and use an Abagnale beforehand. This cost me another 4 cards from my stack and in fact exhausted it, and I was now in the dangerous state where my cards in hand are all the hit points I would have from then on. Still, with my strong start and the Corp kept poor, I was able to pick up agendas where I could until I landed an Indexing through a DDoS on R&D to find the final points I needed.

Corp vs Andromeda

This was an Andy deck that didn't need much time setting up, playing Dirty Laundry and ditching cards to avoid the typical lack of pressure of an Andy opening. In fact the runner kept the pressure up and had a huge amount of credits quite early due to Daily Casts and Liberated Accounts, and set about installing most of her breakers. For my part I opened by setting up a taxing scoring server, and by baiting runs on this server I was able to start rezzing ICE on my centrals. Despite the fledgling scoring server I Biotic-scored my first agenda, and shortly after a second. These were both Accelerated Beta Tests, feeling risky for the first one I fired it and wound up with 2 free ICE and no trashed agendas. I kept my good luck by not firing the second one. A little while into the mid-game Andy returned fire by setting up a Sneakdoor on my undefended Archives and started raiding HQ. This was worrying as it occured at a time where I held quite a few agendas in hand and Andy ended up stealing two of them. I tried to draw heavily into ICE but none was forthcoming, although I did get an Ash. By now the runner had drained most of her credits from installing and using breakers so I installed the Ash on HQ as a decent bulwark against the Sneakdoor. I actually went off to check with the TO because I wasn't certain whether I needed to install the Ash on HQ or Archives to have its ability fire. The TO decided on HQ but if he was wrong then it's probably not a huge deal as I could have freely installed it on either server to achieve this goal (unless Sneakdoor somehow avoids Ash entirely). This had a desired effect as the Sneakdoor runs abated for a while as Andy began moneying back up. At this point, though, time was fairly close to being called and at 4AP to 4 I wanted to have a shot at the timed win. I IAA'd (Install-Advance-Advance) a Global Food Initiative in the scoring server and passed my turn quickly, praying that the runner wouldn't have a dirty trick to get in and that I would have time to score out. At this point Andy was still thankfully low on credits and didn't contest the server. She saved up for a last ditch Sneakdoor run and missed the sole agenda I had in hand. Next turn I scored out the GFI for a full win.

Current Score: 2 - 0

Game 2 vs Andru from Brisbane (HB: Ending the Fun & Andromeda)

Corp vs Andromeda

Andru had a stack of Criminal IDs sitting alongside so I knew that there was a Rebirth floating around somewhere in his deck. For this game I drew into a lot of install economy (Lateral Growth and Advanced Assembly Lines) quite early so I was able to quickly set up decent ICE on most servers, and shortly made HQ too expensive for Siphons to be worthwhile. This Andy also started developing early but didn't install any breakers, instead opting for repeated Earthrise Hotels to work his way through his deck quickly. I drew into a Biotic Labor and ABT fairly early and although I could score it I held off from doing so for much of the early game to focus on keeping my credits up. Eventually I built a strong scoring remote and baited an expensive run by installing a Caprice, with Caprice then bouncing the run. The runner seemed to lose interest immediately in contesting that remote, and after some Hedge Funds and Blue Level Clearance I had enough credits for a decent scoring attempt. I installed a 3/2 and Ash into the scoring remote and the runner didn't try to contest it so I scored out. I then continued the pressure by IAA-ing a GFI and then runner simply let me have that as well. Instead the runner was focusing on hitting my centrals and building up Turning Wheel counters but with each run I was able to rez another bioroid and so by the mid-game every server was very expensive for the runner, with lots of high-strength Code Gates that the runner had to break with Abagnale. I also had some decent luck at the tempo of my agenda draws, with the runner Legwork-ing me at a time where I had no agendas in hand. To finish up the game I installed a Crisium Grid on HQ to protect my credit reserves against Siphon and try to Fast Advance the final two points. The runner hit HQ and trashed the Crisium, giving a clear signal that a Siphon is incoming and it lands the next turn. At that point I had a Biotic Labor in hand so I focus on protecting R&D and have to click for credits for a couple of turns. The runner then begins to focus on R&D but it is far too expensive to achieve any meaningful lock and in one of the gaps I draw into a 3/2. With exactly 7cr in the bank I Biotic the agenda to win.

Runner vs HB:EtF

It was interesting facing another player with Criminal and HB, and I was keen to see what his gameplan was for EtF. It turned out that unlike my Corp, his did not have a huge amount of ICE or wasn't drawing into it. He wasn't stacking ICE anywhere near as deep and so I was able to get very far with early game run events by clicking through them, so long as I was happy to let some ICE become rezzed. Early on I click through a Fairchild 3.0 to land a Maker's Eye, steal an agenda to strip away his HQ ICE, and then land a Legwork to steal more agendas. This gives me a brutally strong start and I am up to 6AP to 0 by around turn 4. With Siphons I have kept the Corp very poor but he gets to work trying to stabilise his board state. This is slow progress as an Employee Strike is denying him the drip credits from his ID. Now with a commanding lead I decide to make the transition and I hold off the speculative attacks in favour of developing my board state and set up an powerful post-score counterpunch. At this point I am double-tagged from an earlier Siphon and hadn't cleared the tags because I wasn't fearing tag punishment and needed my credits to keep my momentum up. I even have a Temujin Contact and Same Old Thing installed that the Corp could trash but doesn't. Later when I clear tags the Corp tells me he forgot I was tagged and would have trashed my resources if he had realised. A shame but I don't feel like I tricked him or anything. I clearly took the tags and never cleared them, and I don't think it's my job to remind him each turn that I'm tagged?

After a short while the Leela counter-punch board state is in effect, with both Logos and Aaron Marron. By now the Corp had set up a decent scoring remote with Caprice and expensive ICE but I never plan to contest it. After the Corp uses it to score out a 3/2 I Logos tutor for my Indexing. The Corp is now being careful to score out on click 2 to replace the ICE bounced by my Leela ability. With this behaviour I see no point stripping back his R&D ICE since I gain nothing by revealing my game plan so I use my Leela bounces to strip back HQ ICE, bluffing that I intend to Legwork or Siphon. The Corp then IAAs in the scoring server shortly afterwards and with this quick pacing I start to think that his previously depleted HQ has refilled with agendas. The Corp hasn't been doing much other than installing ICE and clicking for creds and I figure that it's because I've been keeping him poor, but now I suspect it might be because he is agenda flooded. I land a Legwork and access 3 non-agendas, and follow up with a couple of single accesses that also reveal nothing. The Corp finishes scoring a Global Food Initiative in the scoring server, scoring it out on click 1 so I once again strip away a HQ ICE and he replaces it, and I Logos tutor a DDoS. I spend a few turns forcing the Corp to rez remote ICE and crediting up. The Corp is on match point but I have a plan to close the game. The plan is to install and play DDoS, pay to get through the rezzed Fairchild 3.0 on R&D to land an Indexing, then Planned Assault an Inside Job to snatch the winning agenda on the cheap. Unfortunately my math (basic counting?) is wrong as I would need 5 clicks to 1) Install DDoS, 2) Install Passport, 3) Indexing, and 4&5) Planned Assault. I realise this and desperately figure out an alternate plan, and the new plan is to fire the DDoS, install the Passport and then use the installed Same Old Thing to play a Maker's Eye. My opponent is surprised at the unexpected hit on R&D and tension is high enough that I get the feeling that the game will come down to this. Three cards are accessed and none of them are agendas. My opponent then ends the game with Biotic Labor and a 3/2.

After the game my opponent tells me he was pretty heavily agenda flooded for most of the game, which would explain why his playstyle was so constrained (not due to econ denial) and why he could offload agendas into the scoring server so readily. I had held a Sneakdoor in hand for half of the game and could have raided HQ at any time but I didn't because I had decided HQ was bare after hitting it with a Legwork and finding nothing. Turns out that there were 2 agendas in hand at the time, either of which would have handed me the game, but I had missed them both. It seems like very poor luck (10%) on my part and I think my conclusions were right with the information that I had, and I couldn't have known better, and installing the speculative Sneakdoor would have stumped my fledgling economy at a poor time. So I think I still made the right call based on what I knew at the time?

Current Score: 3 - 1

Game 3 vs Steve (Weyland: Gagarin & MaxX)

Runner vs Gagarin

This was a Gagarin deck with light ICE on centrals (Enigma & Tour Guide) and then a huge amount of naked assets. It had lot of asset econ, recursion with Friends in High Places and even included Museum of History spam, and at one point the TO came to tell the Corp that Museum was erratad to become unique and so the Corp had to trash one. His R&D had been left initially undefended and single accesses picked me up Hollywood Renovation. R&D was later defended with a Tour Guide that I could jump over and keep the Corp too poor to rez. Once his asset econ was set up, though, the Corp became very rich in a short amount of time and although I installed Mongoose to deal with Tour Guide, the sheer amount of installed assets made it seem to double in subroutines every time I approached it. About 1/3rd of the remote servers were unrezzed and despite my poor economy I made it a goal to check the face down remotes intermittently to make the Corp unconfident about trying to Never-Advance agendas. I also played my Freedom through Equality to aim for winning off another 5/3 but Corp promptly dispelled it with Paywall Implementation. I think I would later end up on 5 agenda points so it might not have mattered. By the mid game the Corp had a presumably strong remote server, possibly Tour Guide, but I didn't end up contesting it at all. I instead focused on trying to win out of the lightly-ICED centrals. After a short while I prepared for a possibly game-winning move by building up enough econ and then paying heavily though the now-12-sub Tour Guide (not outrageous with Mongoose but still bad) to land an Indexing. Unfortunately this did not turn up any agendas, so at least I didn't have to pay for another access. I think he was likely running a minimal-agenda deck (I would assume Hollywood Renovation is for that purpose and also to possibly FA out with a Mumbad Construction Co?) but he wasn't dumping any cards to the bottom of R&D with Sensie Actors Union so I'm guessing I was just unlucky with the Indexing. I spend much of the game with low money, landing multi-access that doesn't find anything. I don't bother trying to contest the remote because it had two cards that are likely to be defensive upgrades so I figure it would be a waste of time (I had swapped Interdiction out of my Leela deck before the tourney and now maybe think I should have kept it in). Before long the Corp has outrageous money and solid defenses and is able to score out in the remote server before I can find victory.

Corp vs MaxX

The very first MaxX draw dumps a Severus Stim Implant in the heap and I strongly suspect that this is the same deck that a workmate has been running, or at least very close, where the plan is to draw a lot of cards with Duggars and then spend them on Severus for powerful multi-access digs. A few turns later he installs The Emptied Mind and my suspicion is confirmed. I work to ICE up R&D as much as possible, and get a strong scoring remote in order to bait runs, and HQ is only moderately defended. Early on I see a Levy AR Lab Access land in the heap from the MaxX ability and Ark Lockdown had showed up in my opening hand. This strikes me as a strong opportunity so I plan to wait as long as I can and then Ark Lockdown the Levy. The timing is important as if I play it too early then the runner can still attempt a deep dig with his remaining cards, but if I wait too long then runner might trigger the Levy early to be safe. Eventually the runner has 1/5th of his stack remaining so I Ark Lockdown the Levy and hold my breath. A turn passes where the runner doesn't have enough cards for a full Duggars draw and I wonder if I've won the game in one fell swoop. Unfortunately the runner had been holding on to a Levy since the start of the game and plays it to reset his deck. Although I didn't knock him out in one blow, it appears that he didn't have the influence for a third Levy and had blown through the first cycle of his deck while setting up. This meant there would be only a single (and diminished) deck for him to work with, and this would end up resulting in only two full Severus digs on R&D.

During his set up I had managed to Never Advance an agenda in my scoring remote, rezzing my R&D ICE on his run and protecting the agenda with an Ash. I aimed to drain his econ with costly runs to prevent him from setting up properly while he MaxX'd through his remaining deck. He didn't take the bait much longer and focused only on setting up, allowing me to Biotic out another agenda, and the Biotic would later get cycled back in with Pre-emptive Action. The turn came for the first Severus dig and I had 4 taxing ICE on R&D. Not having the spare clicks, he had to pay for all the Bioroids in full with his recursion breakers, which ended up being extremely expensive for him. The full 6-card dig landed and each card was revealed with baited breath. The result was 2 scored agendas, taking him to 4 agenda points against my 4. At this point I was extremely poor and worked to building up my credit reserves so I can afford to rez my remote server ICE and keep shoring up R&D. The runner seemed mostly expended so I put a 5th ICE over R&D and would end up with 6 on my scoring remote. He did some tentative runs at HQ and thankfully managed to avoid to steal the 3/2 I was keeping in there, with each run allowing me to rez more ICE on R&D. A few more turns and all the ICE on all my servers were rezzed, probably the largest ICE fortress I have ever built in this game. Without a need to keep money to rez ICE anymore I am free to Biotic another 3/2 to get to 6 agenda points. My plan is to wait for another Biotic and 3/2 to show up and then Fast Advance the win, as the runner didn't seem to have Clot or any other form of interruption. While I focus on drawing, the runner has by now saved up enough for another Severun run on R&D, made cheaper with Sifr, and lands the second and final 6-card dig. I had used Jackson a few turns earlier to return operations economy into R&D to thicken it out. I announce that "I'm going to get away with it" and show the runner 6 cards, and among them is only one agenda, bringing him up to 6AP. I had gotten away with it.

I rebuild my credit pool and play Friends in High Places to retrieve an Ash and install it on R&D. I have a Biotic in hand and just need to keep the runner out of R&D and wait for a final 3/2 to arrive. The runner performs a final Severus run on HQ and drops 4 cards in order to get 3 accesses, and I try not to let on that there are no agendas there to steal. After this dig the runner is now completely spent with no cards in hand. This gives him 5 clicks a turn (from Emptied Mind) and he makes single-access runs on HQ, clicking through both a Ravana and Eli. But there are no agendas for him to steal and when I mandatory draw into a 3/2 I Biotic it immediately for the win.

Current Score: 4 - 2

Game 4 vs Justin (NBN: SYNC & Hayley Kaplan)

Runner vs SYNC

Between earlier rounds another player had told me that he was killed by a Boom and couldn't shake the tags easily because of the SYNC ID. This was probably a light form of scouting for me, then, but it had just come up in conversation rather than me trying to seek anything out. Regardless, with this news I quickly suspected that this Sync deck was on kill. I began by hitting the Corp hard with multi-access, stealing an agenda from R&D then bouncing the HQ ICE and Siphoning. I was happy to float tags, but only in the early game and when the Corp was completely poor. I ended up dismantling the Corp's board state in a few turns and made it to 4 agenda points before he started getting his credits up. I made sure to install an Aaron Marron just before my last multi-access and the steal gave me Aaron counters that I used to shed the Siphon tags. The Corp spends his early game on light defence and scoring out 2/1s, first a 15 Minutes then a Breaking News, so I begin to fear the 24/7 News Cycle kill. Luckily my Aaron is safe on the table and the BN score gives him two counters that I preserve jealously, hoping the Corp has no way to trash him. I stop running and install Logos and breakers to get ready to perform a counter-punch after the next score. I don't have any damage prevention yet so I avoid running for about five turns in a row, spending the time working on econ and giving the Corp no excuse to land a Hard Hitting News that I had seen on top of R&D in the first few turns. I draw into a Plascrete and my plan now becomes clear, I will avoid tags until the next score and then hit hard, installing the Plascrete and going full tag-me. I think I end up with 8 tags by the end of the game.

In the mid-game the Corp sacrifices the 15 minutes to 24/7 and lands two tags on me, and I clear them immediately with Aaron. He doesn't have another agenda scored, and I don't see how he can 24/7 past my Aaron as long as I have him installed. I figure the Corp will likely try to bait me into runs to drop the Hard Hitting News. With regular Hedge Funds and Sweeps Weeks he has the ability to win the HHN trace if he needs to. I then notice my moment has arrived and I pop DDoS and raid R&D with a Maker's Eye and encounter a Data Raven. I not only take the tag but I don't even bother contesting the trace for the Data Raven counter - I am now in Tag-Me Land. The Maker's Eye picks up another 2 agenda points, bringing me to 6. I run Archives and pass an ICE and through a Pop-Up Window. The Corp announces his defeat, but then realises that I'm still tagged and the 2 Quantum Predictive Models in Archives go to his score area instead of mine. It seems the outer ICE on Archives was a Data Raven to keep the QPMs safe and my DDoS had filled him with dread, but it seems the game hasn't ended yet. I finish the DDoS turn with an Account Siphon, thinking the Corp can't Boom me if he can't afford it. It doesn't take long for the Corp to bounce back from the credit situation and I'm very concerned about Boom so after more random accesses on R&D I finish the next turn with another Account Siphon. The Corp rezzes a Turnpike and ends up with a single credit. I just take the Turnpike tag and think about a regular access before I decide to Siphon the Corp for his last sole credit because 1cr is within striking distance of Boom if the Corp plays Sweeps Week for the first click. I check Archives and see that two Sweeps Weeks are accounted for. The Corp tells me he has been counting Sweeps Weeks too.

I now plan to transition to the next phase of my plan, which is to keep my handsize up and install Plascrete, hopefully enough to survive two Booms (barring shenanigans like Best Defence). I begin the turn with a speculative run on HQ hoping to close the game before it gets to that. The Corp offers his cards to me at such an angle that I catch a glimpse underneath them and can tell which one is the Boom. Honesty overrides my desire to win and I inform my opponent about this and he shuffles the cards and re-offers them to me. I pick a card randomly and it turns out to be the Project Beale that wins me the game.

Corp vs Hayley

My opponent informs me has considered playing Architects of Tomorrow in the past and mentions that he wonders what it can do, and I respond that I'll show him. I'm off to a strong start with flowing install-econ that I use to set up strong defences on my centrals and I also drop a SanSan City Grid that he doesn't check. I rez it and score out an ABT, seeing a potential rushing window as he doesn't have much econ and needs to set up his board state. Sure enough he leaves the SanSan alone while he sets up and I top-deck a second ABT that I immediately score out. This is a very strong start for me that convinces the runner to hurry up and trash the SanSan. My opponent shortly recovers his econ situation but by that time I have a double-ICEd remote that I install into. He runs the remote, and I hard rez the unique Fairchild (Mother Fairchild / Fairchild Prime / Omega Fairchild). The run isn't fruitful as my install was only an Ash and I announce that I plan to install something in this new, very taxing server every turn. With some Shaper trickery he searches for and installs a Cyber-Cypher on this remote but even with that efficient breaker it costs him 8 credits each time he wants to check my server. I begin installing into it every turn and my bluff game is strong, risking nothing but inducing him to check it a few times, greatly draining his once-vast credit pool. At one point he runs on the remote it seems he is too poor for him to break in, and the plan turns out to be triggering Dean Lister and then spending cards to boost Faust. Now I had read the Unofficial FAQ a few days beforehand but my opponent wasn't aware that Lister had been UFAQ'd to update its strength boost when the number of cards in hand changes. An honest mix-up but I didn't offer to let him take the run back as I had critically revealed information by rezzing a Ravana 1.0. My opponent was slightly crestfallen and I offered to show him the UFAQ but he was satisfied to take my word for it. Unintended stuff-up on his part, and I'm sure that neither him nor I felt good about it.

By the mid game the runner has several Daily Casts, an Aesops and Kati Jones and as such is able to generate vast sums of credits on short demand, but even this can't keep up with the relentless toll of checking my server every turn (now 11cr per check). Eventually he stops checking and my timing is perfect as I score out a the Project Vitruvius I had risked on a Never Advance play. An earlier R&D dig had been fruitful for him so we were on 6AP to 2 and I'm feeling confident. My defensive upgrades had been expended and then trashed from using them as remote server bait, but I then draw into a Biotic and aim to close the game the next time I draw a 3/2. I see the runner has a Self Modifying Code installed so I half-expect that a Clot might appear. I am fine to take the risk since, if the attempt fails, the agenda will still be in the expensive scoring remote and can work to help bankrupt the runner again. I Biotic and IAA the agenda in the remote server and sure enough the runner fetches a Clot. There is a Cyberdex in the deck but I was playing aggressively to make the most of my strong lead and wanted to catch the runner out on a prospective scoring window rather than waiting any longer. Unfortunately the unexpected then happens as the runner begins his next turn by moneying up and then playing Mad Dash to get into the remote. I had expected the runner to fetch the agenda but figured he would still need to steal two more to win. With Mad Dash he now only needs one more agenda to win the game - unexpectedly putting him on match point. This would greatly influence my baiting potential. The runner then finishes the turn by installing a Sacrificial Construct - a wise move because I had intended to purge away the Clot to allow for another Biotic (I had yet to see a Clone Chip). My plan from now was to purge every turn until the Clot dies, then maybe Ark Lockdown it, and then Biotic out the final agenda while keeping R&D prohibitive to get into. I purge away the Sacrificial Construct and on the runner's turn they money up and land a Maker's Eye. The third card is an agenda that wins them the game. It was a shame to lose this game after getting off to such a strong start but this was the mistake of the Biotic play. I had known full well that Clot was a risk and was fine with the repercussions. What I had not expected was the risk of Mad Dash giving me one less agenda steal to play around with.

Final Score: 5 - 3

Conclusion

The scores are read out from bottom to top and I am wracked with anticipation as they get to 10th and 9th, hoping I would make the top 8 and score a playmat. I am neither 10th nor 9th and I feel relief that I have achieved the top 8. Then several more names come out that are not mine. The final result is far better than I expected - I am tied for 4th place out of sixteen players. Unfortunately the tiebreaker (Strength of Schedule) does not go my way and I have missed out of the cut to the top four. Regardless, I have finally obtained my first won playmat, playing with it in future will be a sign of this day's success. In fact, my personal goal had only been to finish in the top half of the rankings, and I am very pleased with exceeding this by so much.

I am also pleased with the performance of my decks, having gone 3/4 with my HB:AoT and 2/4 with my Leela, and with a "just barely lost" game for each. After having evolved and brought the Leela deck to the last few tournaments in a row I think I am now satisfied to finally retire this fun deck and look into bringing someone else to the next tourney, maybe a Shaper. I am especially pleased with my HB deck performing so strongly against high-level tournament decks. This is the culmination of a very long evolution that began with The Foundry, Viktor 1.0 and Markus. Back then I was mucking around with Bioroids and the cards that ostensibly aimed to support them with click manipulation - Heinlein Grid and Strongbox. This never found any real success and I realised that the clicks and credits spent on those could simply be spent on more Bioroids. In fact, the entire click-to-break downside was most effectively mitigated by simply having as many Bioroids as possible, favouring deep servers of small Bioroids instead of fewer-but-larger ones. As time went on the deck was vastly improved with new card releases. Firstly the caliber of Bioroids was increasing with Ravana, Vikram and the large Fairchilds. These were strong yet also relatively affordable, and very expensive to break with traditional breakers. Secondly the install-econ cards, Lateral Growth and Advanced Assembly Lines, prevent the large amounts of required installs from being a tempo hit. Instead you can install the ICE and become able to afford them at the same time, and as added benefit you can now rebound quickly from one of the deck's worst predators, Account Siphon. The final card release of note was Architects of Tomorrow itself, that not only allows you to double down on the never-advance playstyle for significant profit, and not only allows you to make the most from even Siphon hits, but allows you to protect your servers with minimal amounts of credits. Between the install-econ and AoT I played most of my games with between 3 and 8 credits, but always able to afford all the installs and all the rezzes. The little credit pool I had was almost entirely free for Biotic, SanSan and defensive upgrades. I firmly believe that, with this playstyle, AoT is at least the equal of EtF if not more.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I have no idea why we're being so down about Netrunner. After the release of the latest MWL the game seems healthier than ever. There are a whole range of playstyles that are not only viable but strongly competitive. Also when I went to regionals I played against every Corp faction and every Runner faction. This is a far cry from the situation at last Worlds. Also Terminal Directive is really solid and I'm having great fun playing through the campaign.

What's going on, guys? Seems to me that there's never been a better time to be a Netrunner player.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Midjack posted:

This, because I still can't keep up with the horrid nicknames used in the community.

Tickle the Baby!

AgentF
May 11, 2009
There is no way in the world, based on the theme and name of the card, that it was intended for players to trash anything on the table. They messed up the writing and are now pretending it was intentional. It sort of makes sense if you are supposed to trash your own cards. It makes no sense from any angle if you trash anything on the table.

As it is there is the very edge case scenario where the runner installs some stuff turn 1 and then you rush out a Standoff in order to either hurt their early game setup or otherwise gain 5cr. It's not very good at all but at least it isn't an "unplayable" scenario.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I think FFG must be reading my emails because below is a "Top 20 cards I’ll miss post-rotation" that I sent to friends a full year ago, with asterisks next to every card that has been saved. A full 14/20 of the cards have been saved from rotation, and all of the top nine! Good news for me.

* 01) Caduceus
* 02) Chaos Theory
* 03) Indexing
* 04) Project Vitruvius
* 05) Ronin
* 06) Dedicated Response Team
* 07) Darwin
* 08) Yagura
* 09) Test Run
10) Eli 1.0
11) Fetal AI
* 12) Trick of Light
* 13) Bernice Mai
* 14) Project Atlas
15) Janus 1.0
* 16) Braintrust
17) Shinobi
* 18) Hive
19) Deep Thought
20) Subliminal Messaging

AgentF fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 13, 2017

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Now that Chaos Theory has been updated to be a little older they should give her +1.5 MU.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
But Mass Commercialisation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

You could try Fan Site plus The Shadow Net to get some extra econ bursts in the midgame.

I honestly don't know why there was never a Runner version of Restructure, but now there's no Corp version either so oh well.

There's IPO?

• Locked thread