Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
On the subject of starter decks, a recent episode of Run Last Click featured a bunch of decks built with a single core and then either 4 data packs or 2 packs and a big box, plus proxies for Jackson and Plascrete. The decks themselves look reasonably good and the accompanying podcast goes into detail about how to use them (in a very approachable way - RLC is light hearted and funny and basically my favourite Netrunner podcast).

Might be worth linking in the OP since it looks like a good way in for newbies, which Netrunner in general could definitely use.

http://runlastclick.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/episode-63-one-core-une-fois.html?m=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Also does anyone know if you can get the world champ decks from anywhere in the UK?

Edit: and have FFG said whether they'll be reprinting them?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 3, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Blood Money is a weird pack. Two separate Fracters right next to each other, one really good and one mediocre?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 4, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Radish posted:

I'm thinking about teaching someone to play this game. Is there still a list of some starter decks that are good for that? Basically cover the fundamentals but not janky and cause people to glaze over with rules or weird janky mechanics? Also reasonably good matchups (so not one side stomping the other). I want it to make a good first impression.
One of the recent episodes of Run Last Click has a bunch of starter decks made out of a single core plus either four datapacks or two packs and a big box. They're explicitly designed for people just getting started and who don't want to drop £500 straight away.

If you have access to the entire card pool then Abram Jopp (aka TheBigBoy) has a list of teaching decks on his blog too.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

OK I tried my hand at a quick FAQ that could maybe be added to the OP to set out the very basics for newbies:

What is Android:Netrunner, anyway?

It's a reboot of an old Wizards of the Coast game, called plain "Netrunner", that has been moved into Fantasy Flight's "Android" universe. It's a cyber-punk themed, asymmetrical card game with hidden information and bluffing. Think Magic or Pokemon, except there are two different sides, and each side is split further into "factions". The Corporation is trying to score "agendas" and the Runner (ie the hacker) is trying to steal them. Corp and Runner decks are fundamentally different - they draw from a different pool of cards, and have different mechanics. Essentially the Corp is trying to keep the runner out of its servers (or possibly to kill them), whilst the Runner is trying to break in. Information asymmetry is important: most of the Corporation's cards are played face down at first, which means the Runner doesn't know what they are until they interact with them. That lets you lay traps, plan ambushes and try for bluffs, and is a big part of the reason why Netrunner is such an intellectually stimulating game.

Apparently it's an LCG, whatever that is

Yup. An LCG is FFG's take on collectable card games. To get started with the game you buy a "Core Set", which contains enough cards to make playable decks for each of the seven factions. If you then want to expand your card pool you buy booster packs. But instead of being full of random cards, each booster (called a "data pack" in Netrunner) contains 3 copies of 20 fixed cards, split roughly evenly between the factions. This means you know exactly what you're getting when you buy. In other words, if I want Jackson Howard for my Corp decks, I buy Opening Moves and I'll get three copies of him, guaranteed. If I want Temujin Contract for my Runners, I buy Blood Money and there will be three copies of it in there, along with three copies of the 19 other cards contained within that pack. The packs are released in "cycles" of six packs, so 120 new cards per cycle. The idea is to remove the randomness you get when buying MTG or Pokemon packs. That has the side effect of basically killing the secondary market, since there's little cause to trade cards. There is a small secondary market in Netrunner, but it consists almost entirely of alt-art cards that are given out as prizes at FFG-sanctioned tournaments and you should feel free to completely ignore it.

Does that mean it's cheap to get started?

Ehh. It means you know in advance how much it's going to cost, put it that way :) . There's one important snag with the LCG model, which is that You will probably need to buy a second Core Set at some point, and if you're really serious about it you will need a third, too. Every booster contains a complete playset of the cards in it (ie three copies). The Core Set is the sole exception to this rule, and has two or even one copy only of many, many cards, some of which are among the most powerful in the game. FFG says this is necessary because the Core Set is designed contain playable decks for all seven factions straight out of the box and there's a limit to how many cards they could cram in. The fact that many of the singleton cards happen to be extremely powerful (SanSan City Grid, Aesop's Pawnshop, Desperado, etc) leads some cynical and jaded individuals to unfairly assume that another motive might be that having people buy multiple Core Sets is a good way to make money.

As of this writing we're up to cycle number six (the cycles, in order, are Genesis, Spin, Lunar, SanSan, Mumbad and Flashpoint). Each expansion is six data packs, and they cost roughly £12 each in the UK. There are also four "big box" expansions which contain more cards than a standard pack and which focus on two factions, one Corp and one Runner. Those tend to cost more like £25. Assuming you also buy three Core Sets you'll be looking at roughly £600 to buy a complete card set once the Flashpoint cycle is complete.

Holy poo poo that's a lot of money for a load of printed cardboard

Yup. But you don't have to dive in all at once. The Core Set contains seven complete decks so there's nothing to stop you buying just that and seeing if you like it. The community has put together starter decks that you can play with a limited card pool (for some good suggestions check out episode 63 of "Run Last Click", one of the more popular Netrunner podcasts). NetrunnderDB, a deck-building site, will let you search for decks made with a limited number of packs. And the community of players is generally pretty chill, and won't object to you making "proxies" of certain cards if you want (which is as simple as getting a piece of paper, writing the name of the proxied card on it, and putting it into a card sleeve (be sure to put another, real card behind it so you can't tell which are your proxied cards when they're face down, as that would be cheating)). So you can ease yourself in gently if you want, though proxies are not legal at official FFG tournaments. Even then you'll probably find that other players will be happy to lend you cards for the duration of a tournament if you ask them in advance; as I said the community is pretty chill.

The other thing to consider is rotation. The card pool will not stay fixed, and in 2017 the first two cycles (So Genesis and Spin) will rotate out. That means they'll no longer be legal for tournament play. The Core Set will never rotate. Neither will the big boxes, so if you want to jump in they might be a good place to start.

That's a lot of words. Is this game fun?
Yes. Yes it is.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 8, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

It just seems really weird to give a Criminal ID 12 influence with the current card pool. You have to spend a huge chunk of inf importing breakers - even Killers which are supposed to be your faction speciality. Golden is bad, Faerie is great but you have no recursion, Femme is incredibly expensive. Shrike is probably the best general-purpose Killer out there.

Then because the breakers cost inf it's back-breaking to import more than once of each, but guess what! You have no recursion either, so now you need to import some of that, or else you need to be super-cautious to make sure you never lose one because if you do you're locked out. By the time you've done all that you have almost nothing left.

edit: nm

Zephro fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 14, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Criminal can win, the complaint is a lot of inf goes on very basic things so there's not much variety.

I presume the idea with Khan was economic warfare, which fits the cycle theme. Golden is inefficient but if you can make stacks of cash with Contract and the usual Criminal money tricks then you can force the Corp to pay rez costs many times over for the same piece of ICE. It's a good and cool idea, but 12 inf just seems to kneecap the ID. Maybe there are more cards coming that will help?

Agree about Nero though. I thought he might be a sleeper hit because he makes you much less likely to ever have programs trashed, but I guess not.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

It seems like a reasonable card but thematically feels like it maybe ought to be Weyland.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The Deleter posted:

It doesn't make poor amounts of money nor is it bad. Definitely not Weyland.
This is hard to argue with

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Stinson seems like a great NBN card. He'll pair nicely with Closed Accounts, Reversed Accounts, Midseasons and Breaking News.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The Deleter posted:

None of those are transactions.
All of them are ways to get the runner to less than 6 credits, though, and Hedge Fund and Restructure are both neutral.

quote:

Like every other decent Weyland card.
Yup.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

To be honest, though, Corps could use some love at the moment, Runners seem really, really strong. In fact the game seems to be on a huge power upswing with the last two cycles and I'm not sure I like the effect it's having.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Maybe she'll hack her way to being un-dispossessed and give up now that she's rich again.

Poor CT :/

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

krakagar posted:

I have a couple of questions though - Architect lets you install any card that can be installed - So I could us it to put down ICE, an agenda, an asset or an upgrade?
Yup.

quote:

It says ignoring all install costs, so do I have to play it face up, or could I install it face down, and if i did would I then still have to pay the costs when I did rez it?
No. Install costs are costs you pay when you "install" (ie play) it, and are separate from "rez" costs which are paid upon activation, for want of a better word. So if you already had an ICE on HQ it would normally cost you 1 credit to install another one. If you install it via Architect's first sub, it'll cost you nothing.
But you'd have to pay the rez cost in the normal way if you want to rez the ICE.

edit: Corp cards are only installed face-up if they explicitly say so. 99% are installed face down, and that's not a cost, it's just the way the game works.

quote:

Also, if I am tagged as the runner, and the corp tries to trash a card that has a trash ability, can I trigger that ability (or does the corps trashing of it trigger it) - Basically, if he tries to trash my Hades Shard, (assuming I'm tagged and it's not protected with WNP or Fall Guy or something), can I trigger it at that point?
Nope. The active player's effects trigger first. From https://www.reddit.com/r/Netrunner/comments/2f8qj8/netrunner_beginner_faq/

quote:

General

- You cannot do things "in response" to another player's actions unless they say "prevent". Therefore, if the Runner decides to Parasite a piece of ice and Datasucker it to death, you cannot rez Corporate Troubleshooter "in response" to this happening: the active player gets to finish all his actions, then you get to do whatever you want, then he gets to do any other actions and so on.

- If something has the keyword "prevent", you can use the paid ability to prevent the effect from taking place. e.g. the Corp plays Scorched Earth on the Runner. The Runner may then spend tokens from his Plascrete Carapace to prevent an equal amount of meat damage from hitting him.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 22, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

How's people's experience with Rumour Mill now that it's out? It seems to cause almost as many quits on Jinteki as MoH; I watched a guy playing RP concede when it was 2-0 and the runner played it because his entire scoring strategy was just wrecked instantly and he had no way of ever clearing it.

I'll probably play Sol for a while since it suffers least between News Hound, its own currents, and BN/15 minutes to clear it out. But I guess non-FA corp decks are probably going to want to start running currents in case they run into it.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 23, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

It'll definitely be a big change when the majority of the 3/2s rotate out next year. Never Advance and Fast Advance will both become much less attractive. NA'ing with 3/1s feels like a bad idea even if a bunch of strong 3/1s get printed.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I sympathise with the limited-pool idea, actually. There's so many brutally powerful cards and silver bullets flying around at the moment that the game is almost more enjoyable if you don't try to min-max the poo poo out of your deck and just build something fun. Restricting the pool is a good way to force that to happen.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I have a silly question.

What happens if I have scored Glenn Station with a Government Takeover hosted on it, and the Runner uses Turntable to swap that Glenn Station into her own score area? I used to think the ruling was that agenda text was inactive while in the Runner's score area, but 15 Minutes wouldn't work if that were the case. So does the GT stay hosted? Or if it falls off, what happens to it - I assume it gets dumped into Archives?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 28, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

StashAugustine posted:

a) 15 mins works since it explicitly notes it's active in the Runner's score area
b) Hosted cards don't fall off unless the host is trashed
OK, so the GT goes with Glenn Station to the Runner's score area and sits there for the rest of the game since there's now no way for anyone to interact with it?

e: unless the runner forfeits Glenn Station to Data Dealer or something I guess - I presume forfeiting counts as "trashing" for this purpose?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

OK, thanks!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I can never quite get over how Anarchs are meant to be "bad" at code gates, and also have Yog in faction, which will never rotate out.

Edit: first responders is interesting - it turns kill decks into tax decks and thousand-cuts PE into a credit tax rather than a click tax. That might be OK, although runners are kind of absurdly rich right now so maybe it'll just hose those decks. It also means the (brief) glory days of Psychic Field / Prisec in a server will probably go away!

Edit: Belsky feels like yet another attempt at a Jackson replacement, but (like all the other ones) she's not up to par. Times gonna be hard when Jackson rotates out unless we get something more powerful.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 3, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Karmoderm posted:

There's still no paid ability window in between accessing multiple cards in the same server, so the Prisec - Psychic Field dream is well alive!
Oops, good point.

Semi-related: has anyone had any luck with the new Jinteki ID? I want it to be good, but having watched a few games on Jinteki and played around a bit myself it seems worse than thousand-cuts PE in every way.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

berenzen posted:

It's not great unfortunately. It has a lot of potential, but unless you can get 2 or 3 hostile infrastructures up to put them in a very painful catch-22, it's just not good enough to work. I'm going to keep playing with it, but I don't think it has the support it needs.
Yeah this is my impression too. It's almost there but not quite. I keep thinking there's some combo of HOK, Bio-ethics, Neural EMP and HI that will make it work but I've not found it yet and nor has anyone else judging by J.net.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

AgentF posted:

Alexa Belsky looks to be another card in the series of Jackson replacements and this is a strategy I'm in favour of. The one deadly secret that Netrunner players don't want you to know is that Jackson Howard just did far too much utility in one card. He did powerful draws, baited runs, saved agendas at instant speed and recurred useful cards.
My only issue with this analysis is deckslots. Corp deckbuilding has significantly less freedom than you get in many games because you have to include a certain number of agendas no matter what, and that puts deck slots at an absolute premium. The Runner doesn't have that limitation, so it makes sense for Corp cards, on average, to do slightly more than Runner cards to make up the difference. JHow does a bunch of things, but together those successfully patched the biggest single flaw with the base game. None of his replacements are as capable as him. You can run three Alexas, but you lose the draw power, the card recursion and the NA/baiting stuff. Replacing those will mean even more slots taken up on things that might not be central to your gameplan, and will restrict corp deckbuilding options even more.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

What does "Net Mercur" even mean, anyway? Mercur seems to be

1) A ghost town somewhere in America
2) A hotel in Copenhagen
3) A company that makes budgeting software

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Ah cool, thanks.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Ehh, despite all the various niggles I actually like the game a lot, probably because I've given up on trying to play it competitively (because I don't have the time, not because I'm disillusioned with the game or w/e). And Flashpoint is a good cycle so far. My main gripe is they like their silver bullets far too much. From a game-health point of view mega-powerful and mega-specific cards like Rumour Mill are a terrible idea and I wish they'd print fewer of them.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

How about we just get rid of YAWG POINT OH and all these problems go away
"If the Runner breaks all subroutines on this ICE without spending any credits, the Runner must pay 3 credits or end the run"

-> bad stuff
-> end the run

How's your Yog now, runner-boy? :smug:

Though now I've just printed another silver bullet :/

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

berenzen posted:

The ICE that I'd like to see is something along the lines of the bioroids, except you can choose to take tags to break the subroutines instead. Call them Noisy ICE or something

so something like this:

!Eli
cost 4
str 4
ICE: Barrier- Noisy
The runner may take 1 tag to break 1 subroutine on this piece of ICE
End the Run
End the Run.
Wasn't "Noisy" a game mechanic in the original Netrunner?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Yeah I don't know why FFG were so gun-shy about it. In a world with Beth, Mercur, Rumour Mill, HHN, etc I don't think the trace being 2 or even 3 would have somehow been overpowered. As it is it does literally nothing against Andromeda, Kate, Geist and any other runner with 1 link unless you pump credits into it.

Maaaybe Stinson will make Weyland rich enough to be able to make that kind of asymmetric economic warfare worth it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Been watching some more PU games on Jinteki. It feels like it's nearly there but just not quite good enough, like one more card could really make it viable. A few observations:

- It seems quite high variability. If you trash a breaker and a LARLA then Chronos them away you can have blowout games; like PE you're super vulnerable to Siphon and Keyhole or just a careful runner with a lot of money.
- Ark Lockdown is unsurprisingly good in PU, but the 12-inf limit hurts.
- Economy and clicks are a problem, same as in PE. I've seen variants running Turtlebacks but they tend to get killed on sight, even with Hostile Infrastructure rezzed. Jinteki almost needs a card that puts on advancement on every installed card or something.
- I think Neural EMP is necessary - Runners can control when net damage happens more than they can when playing against PE, so they're more willing to go down to 0/1 cards at the end of a turn, and EMP is the only real way to punish that if they're religious about checking for Bio-Ethics
- Even with the ID ability effectively boosting each piece of net damage by 1, I'm not sure PU actually does more damage in a typical matchup than PE does.
- Which means I think PE makes a better kill deck and a better thousand-cuts deck than PU does; PU's main win condition seems to be lockout by overtaxing recursion. You can get kills in PU and I've seen quite a few but they all seem like they'd be just as good or better in PE or Biotech or IG, especially since all those get 3 more inf to play with.
- It's hilarious watching PU vs Maxx

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 10, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

StashAugustine posted:

Does Foxfire even do poo poo against Net Mercur or are they just too rich
They're usually too rich but sometimes it does early on.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The flavour/mechanics combo on Oberth Protocol is really nice.

quote:

Maybe there are some unspoiled cards that will give Builder of Nations a coherent strategy that isn't just waiting for the runner to punch their face into your ICE until they die?
edit: in fact no, I don't know what BoN wants to be. I was about to say it wants to be PE-style thousand cuts but the meat damage is too rare and too controllable by the runner for that to work. Maybe it wants to be a glacier that taxes cards as well as credits but 40/12 and advanceable ICE out of Weyland is not how you build a working glacier deck. The 40-card size suggests rush/Supermodernism but the 12 inf is crippling and Argus has a much better ID ability for that anyway. I guess it's just bad.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 11, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I have a question about Black Orchestra. The ability is pay 3 for +2 strength and to break 2 subs. If I have a high strength code gate, so that I have to pump Orchestra twice, what happens to the first "break 2 subs" clause? I'm assuming it whiffs because Black Orchestra is still too weak to interact with the ICE when the sub-breaks attempt to resolve, is that right?

Worked example: Orchestra vs DNA Tracker. Does it cost 9 creds to break, or 6?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

CirclMastr posted:

It costs 9. You can't break subs unless the icebreaker meets or exceeds the strength of the ice, so the first 3 credits are only good for pumping strength.
Thanks. That's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure :)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Sometimes if you spectate on a match on Jinteki.net you can see the player's hands, and sometimes you can't. Anyone know whether that's a bug or some kind of feature that I've been accidentally turning on and off?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The Lord of Hats posted:

It's a feature, host decides whether or not to implement it.
Thanks!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Man I can't wait for Andy and (especially) Whizzard to rotate out.

edit: in fact, meta moan incoming:

Is there a way to make strategies other than FA and Rush reliable these days? Rumour Mill seems like it single-handedly makes glacier almost worthless just by including it in any deck that also runs money and breakers. Slums, Whizzard, Scrubber and Temujin make horizontal decks very very hard to play as well. Kill is very hard to pull off against modern super-rich runners. It's probably just me being A Bad Player but it really feels like top-level Corp deckbuilding is quite constrained by the sheer power of runners and all the various silver bullets they have access to, thanks to their less-restricted deckbuilding requirements. What am I missing?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 17, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

PosSibley posted:

Also, every paid ability window is not implemented in any way? There's plenty you just have to gentlemanly do according to the rules.
There are a lot of paid ability windows in a turn. If you were forced to pause and then click through a prompt on each one it would take a long time to finish a game. The best thing to do is assume your opponent is competent. So, for instance, when you advance agendas leave a few seconds between each counter so they can ask you to wait in chat if they want to do something. If there's a Clot in the bin and a Clone Chip on the table you can just ask them - advance a card and then say "action?" in chat before you advance again, etc. It's not really that onerous.

Also Netrunner is a small game and Jinteki is a passion project maintained entirely in people's spare time. Before it came along the only option for online play was OCTGN, in which almost nothing was automated and you had to memorise dozens of keyboard shortcuts just to play the game. It's kind of a miracle that we have it at all. In fact that reminds me, I should go donate some more money!

quote:

Corp is a lot better right now than it was even a month ago due to Scarcity of Resources alone. Also a lot of high level players are in Worlds testing mode right now so there are some good decks coming down the pipeline that people are keeping quiet about. If I had to bet I'd say there are a few different tempo style yellow decks that are going to be all over Worlds/post-Worlds tourneys. Currents are strong on both sides, and News Hound is a great ICE when currents are in play.
Scarcity seems good but only in the first few turns, right? If you don't see one until turn 8 and the Runner is mostly done with setup then it doesn't do much except add an ETR to News Hound, I'd have thought. Agree on NBN, though. The stats from UK Nationals (157 players, in August) are kind of revealing:

http://www.acoo.net/anr-tournament/1363/uk-nationals-2016/

Runner representation in the top 30% was almost equal between the three factions. But Corp was 73% NBN, and that's with Astro at limit-1. It was 50% at the French nationals (57 players), 57% at the Reading GNK (21 players), 75% at a recent Bristol GNK (12 players), 80% at Aldershot (16 players) etc. They're my favourite Corp faction flavour-wise, but in the UK NBN feels at least as dominant, if not more so, than it was before it was supposedly nerfed by the second round of the MWL.

edit: I guess my problem with Rumour Mill is that I feel it's just bad game design. Unlike PolOp, Councilman and so on there's no counterplay to a Runner that just plays it click 1 then runs your remote. Cards that say "you cannot do x" are almost always worse than cards that say "you can do x, but it'll cost you", because at least that allows for counterplay.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Wonder if this means there's another big box coming?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread