Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I've been trying to make a Khan deck and struggling massively. I think they made a misstep when they gave her 12 influence, it's just not enough to create a program suite that synergises well with her ability. Golden is awful, the Chameleon suite is too influence-heavy by itself, and combining Brahman with the disposable Crim breakers just doesn't do enough. I'm currently scraping by with Brahman and David (plus Breach, Rex and Mongoose) but there is literally only just about enough influence for those, Oracle May and a single piece of recursion. FFG really cut her off at the knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Correct, cheap Chameleon with LLDS is nice. The problem is, each Chameleon is 3inf, so for 2 Chameleons and 3 LLDS you're running at 9 of your maximum 12inf already. If you want recursion, that'll be 2 or 3 of the remaining 3 - and you really want recursion, else you're risking your entire strategy on something that can be ended by a single Enforcing Loyalty or successful Trash Program subroutine. Even then, once you have everything out (the hard way - no Replicator for you, Khan!), your main breaker suite can only hit Str6, and we're in the Sandburg meta now. You also can't afford something like Beth Kilrain-Chang to give you a leg up against that, so your opening hand must contain a Polop as well as the start of your breaker suite in order for you to hit HQ and install Polop before they can rez Sandburg.

Or you could rely on Crypsis to get in, I suppose, but not even Criminals have that kind of dough if they can't make successful runs.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Jesminder's definitely good fun - I spent a few months playing a Jesminder deck - but you could make a reasonable argument that her influence limit is actually 7 since you're kinda crazy if you're not running two Account Siphons in a Jesminder deck. She does have to play mostly in-faction other than those two splashes, but Shaper's in such a good place that I'd still say she's pretty good. You want to be able to lock down R&D fairly early, so that you can keep using Code Siphon (which is actually good for her!) to pull out the rest of your rig, and you want at least one R&D Interface so that you have more Maya targets. It's a lot of fun to bury the econ cards the corp needs to get themselves back in the game.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

CodfishCartographer posted:

MCA Informant is hilarious. Sure, go ahead, spend 1 click and 2 credits to trash your own connection!

And Keros Mcintyre might actually make Khan and her birds somewhat playable!

I want Keros so badly. I'm currently playing a deck with Golden, Peregrine, Paperclip, 2xMultithreader, 3xCybsoft Memchip, Autoscripter and 3xTechnical Writer to do SILLY SILLY THINGS to low-strength ICE, but I'm struggling to get it up and running quickly enough. This could be a real nice way to make the birds easier to run.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Criminals tend to play a little safer to prevent that, and have very good Killers to prevent the traditional method of program trashing, but yeah, that's one weakness. You basically have to hope that you can still get into at least one relevant server and put pressure on that, or use Crim tricks to bypass the relevant ICE. Inside Job and Femme are both good ways of making your way inside in a pinch.

I haven't been to a proper tourney since Ark Lockdown came out, but it's very plausible that corps could start using the Enforcing Loyalty -> Ark Lockdown combo to lock Crims out with weak barriers.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
I've been talking to a friend who likes Weyland about Chief Slee. She has problems, certainly, but there are some nice synergies. Little Engine, Builder, Pup, Negotiator, most Grail ICE... Zed, Hudson...

Sure, you'd have to tweak your deck to make good use of her, but if that were the only requirement for a card to be bad then Stealth breakers would be rubbish. She has her place (with the obvious Rumour Mill and Polop caveats).

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

Meh, Khan's console is really such a missed opportunity. I guess Temujin is meant to be the thing that compensates Khan for the huge cost of using and installing her breakers, but it's just turned into the generic economy card du jour (entirely predictably) and is used by basically every other runner as well (it feels like it should have been one more inf at least and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it MWL'd). The console should have synergised with the breakers in some way, at least - draw a card the first time each turn you derez an ICE; reveal all cards in HQ the first time each turn you derez and ICE, add the first ICE you derez each turn to HQ unless the Corp pays a credit, or something. It's not hard to think up fun interactions that would make the bird breakers better and more playable.

Oh well.

I've been playing a few different Khan decks, and it's become very clear that she and her breakers only work with two cards: Autoscripter, and CybSoft MacroDrive - with emphasis on the CybSoft. The ability to reinstall the birds for cheap is critical. Multithreader helps, and if you're running Saker instead of Paperclip (risky and pricey) you can run Net-Ready Eyes too, but that MacroDrive is the one thing that gives Khan her own purpose. I pretty much agree that Gauntlet doesn't do much to help - the 2MU is actually a little odd, suggesting that they either want her to run Pheremones or to import all three Multithreaders instead of just one or two - but it's a nice late-game console. In theory, Khan with that console can lock down HQ very thoroughly and use her Turning Wheel to occasionally put pressure on R&D to boot. I'll try a tweak to incorporate these changes after I get my hands on Intervention, certainly.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
Had we seen Exploit in the Daedalus teaser? It's new to me, and I like it. A very appropriate Criminal counterpart to Notoriety and Quest Completed, since although it doesn't directly boost your agenda points it does open up opportunities for you instead. In my Khan deck I'll usually have five clicks lategame, too, so it's easy enough to turn three successful central runs into a wide-open scoring remote for a last-click dash.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Yithian posted:

https://drafts.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/12/7/earths-scion/

Oh look, Anarchs get their very own Creeper to continue their trend of absolute horseshit killers.

On the other hand, Weyland gets a hyper Trick of Light that might just make advanceable ICE playable!

edit: at least Persephone has a vaguely useful side-effect, unlike Creeper. Its install cost and cost to break subroutines is still pretty steep, though.

So many ways incoming to fast-advance out your Government Takeover, but I suppose it's easier to do that with the smaller government on Mars. Still, I can't wait for the "Click 1 Biotic, click 2 install card, clicks 3-5 VOLTRON ASSEMBLE THE TAKEOVER"

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

Kaethela posted:

If they errata'd it to say "reduce your handsize to one" instead of "by one" it'd be way more reasonable.

I'd love to see a Jinteki Biotech meta arise as a result of SIFR. "Don't mind us, reduce your hand size to kill range, that's cool. Nothing could go wrong."

Alternatively, wait for them to use it and then rez Chairman Hiro in a remote, or pop the surprise Gyri Labyrinth.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal

AgentF posted:

Important announcement: People need to stop calling Anarch "red". Anarch cards are not red, they are very clearly orange.

Instead have a look at a Jinteki card. That's a nice red.

You can't use the word 'orange' with the Netrunner community! You know how many Deus Ex fans there are in it? You'll be inundated with "It gave me lemon-lime!" responses all day!

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
I like Load Testing, actually. It's a pretty decent way to open a scoring window in the early game. Install a Turing (or Fairchild, sure), install a 3/2 (or a 4/2 if you did the ICE last turn), play Load Testing last click. It has different weaknesses than ELP - ELP certainly isn't a guaranteed window, since there's such a good chance they'll have a Dirty Laundry, Deuces Wild, the new Spot the Prey, etc. Load Testing will work on a 2-ICE server that would have been beaten by a single Inside Job if you played ELP instead, and it's 2c less as well. It's not better than ELP, but that's a high standard to beat.

My favourite card in the pack is definitely Free Lunch, though. It puts a great big grin on my face, the same as when I played Troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Toilet Rascal
An FYI for everyone not obsessive enough to refresh the Upcoming page semi-daily in recent times: TD now has a release date!

Terminal Directive will hit stores 27th April (i.e. in just under two weeks on Thursday)

I eagerly await being able to play NR without having to stick my fingers in my ears and shout "LALALALALA" whenever someone wants to talk about cards from the new hotness.

• Locked thread