Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Welcome back to Auspol for yet another unproductive month.

Our top stories:

Federal politicians skip out on work, don't do their jobs and the government is unable to govern as a result. Opposition Leader suffers schadenfreude poisoning.
Government still does not care about human rights, equality, or not being dicks to people
Brown people still being tortured
Black lives still don't matter, especially in Kalgoorlie
Australia is getting worse
Auspol is still full of hippy fuckwit losers, occasionally interspersed with brief interludes of first dog

Our Political Parties:

Mallycabble Frostypoo Turnstile. Apparently the Prime Minister but so far he hasn't done anything constructive with his time in office.

Barfening Joint, human tomato serving as Mal's deputy.

Bump Snorten, the Opposition Leader something something something.

Bunch of hippies.

Bible-thumpers and some other cunts no-one cares about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Don't use gendered insults.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

ScreamingLlama posted:

Welcome back to Auspol for yet another unproductive month.

Our top stories:

Federal politicians skip out on work, don't do their jobs and the government is unable to govern as a result. Opposition Leader suffers schadenfreude poisoning.
Government still does not care about human rights, equality, or not being dicks to people
Brown people still being tortured
Black lives still don't matter, especially in Kalgoorlie
Australia is getting worse
Auspol is still full of hippy fuckwit losers, occasionally interspersed with brief interludes of first dog

Our Political Parties:

Mallycabble Frostypoo Turnstile. Apparently the Prime Minister but so far he hasn't done anything constructive with his time in office.

Barfening Joint, human tomato serving as Mal's deputy.

Bump Snorten, the Opposition Leader something something something.

Bunch of hippies.

Bible-thumpers and some other cunts no-one cares about.

This op is giving me an overdose

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

Don't be cunts and I won't have to call you cunts, oval office.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy poo poo that's god awful please someone create another thread, mods close this one

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seriously a two year old would've made a better effort

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GAS THREAD

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Starshark posted:

Seriously, have all the screaming shitfits you want but come on.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mmmm, that's gooooooooood thread making GBS threads

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

Don't be cunts and I won't have to call you cunts, oval office.

If anyone has earned the right to be a bit nerdy about knives, then it's us. Which brings us to the oft discussed topic of the sharpest blade in the world.

Leaving aside our knives of course, there are many earnest scientific disussions/arguments on the web as to which material makes, or would make the sharpest blade.

The trade off, of course, as we've mentioned already in our article about Samurai swords, is that very sharp blades can be very brittle, and it's no use to anyone if parts of a knife break off while it's being used. So there is an element of practicality as well.

The hardest material out there is diamond, so logically a diamond knife should be the sharpest type. The difficulty is that diamond crystals tend to 'cleave' in what's called an octahedral fashion, which doesn't allow for a very sharp blade cross-section.

Glass on the other hand is 'amorphous', so it does not have any natural planes to split, or cleave to, making it much more suitable for making sharp edges.

A type of naturally occurring glass that has already been in use since the Stone Age as a blade is obsidian. Obsidian is a volcanic glass that is created when magma is pushed to the earth's surface and is cooled very rapidly. This stops it from forming a crystal structure and also introduces a form of 'compressive strength' which makes the material even stronger.

The Mayan Indians are credited with using obsidian blades first 2,500 years ago, although Stone Age spear tips made of obsidian have been found elsewhere in the world. Since obsidian will fracture down to a single atom, it is claimed to have a cutting edge five hundred times sharper than the sharpest steel blade, and under a high magnification microscope an obsidian blade still appears smooth, whereas a steel blade has a saw like edge.

So why aren't we all equipping our kitchens with obsidian knives? Obsidian knives are quite delicate and tend to be a little brittle, so they're probably not your best choice for the rough and tumble of a kitchen, particularly where they might strike something hard. Obsidian is not particularly hard (unlike diamond), it's just capable of being very sharp. Obsidian knives have however been used in medical procedures where very precise cutting is required and where laser surgery is not available.

One of the big advantages of smooth cuts (as one of our customers has already mentioned) is that wounds from sharp blades heal more quickly than more jagged cuts, and are less prone to infection. However, even the manufacturer of the medical-type obsidian blades recommended that 'hard objects should be avoided' and 'twisting or lateral motions should not be employed'. A bit of a hard one to police in the kitchen.

Whether you can sharpen an obsidian blade in one of our Nirey sharpeners is another question. If you have an obsidian blade, perhaps we should put it to the test – will it sharpen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
dogshit thread

• Locked thread