Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016
they're going back to a proper free to play model. as a free player, you'll have your weekly rotation as you do now, plus you can unlock lancers permanently with in-game currency.

e: more importantly, free players will also be able to play ranked.

inflatable fish fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
No one saw that coming :/

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
That's great news!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Patch is done and the new F2P model is launched. If you ever thought about the game but passed because the free mode was more of a trial, now you should jump in!

It's a really good, polished, and fun game. The only thing lacking has been the number of players and the change today should fix that. The devs have added lots of new lancers and skins since launch, and now special effects can be bought with season rewards.

Here is my refer-a-friend code if anyone wants to use, it will give you 7 days of full access to all lancers and some perks for me. If you want the strategy of a arena pvp game but don't like or can't handle shooter FPS's, give the game a try.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I have been playing this game for a month now, and was about to purchase it during the steam sale when I heard it was going F2P and follow the classic MOBA model regarding purchasing Lancers.
So I held out on buying it.

Am I glad I did so! The new model seems very good. Purchasing a Lancer will take a while but at least you are grinding towards something to look forward to.
The Free Rotation is also random for every player. So you don't encounter the same few free lancers over and over like you did in LoL at noob levels.

I also find that if I own all champions I actually play a smaller variety than when some I don't own but do like become available.

Up to now I was not able to convince my friends on joining the game. But over the last two days we have had a continiuous BLAST.
So much fun when all actions are locked in and the chaos resolves. That moment when you do 10 dmg too little to get that 5th kill... but then the target moves through your trap.

Comebacks are also very frequent. We often find ourselves 2-0 or even 3-0 behind, only to win the game.

The community seems awesome. So if you want to play a MOBA but without the toxic community that usually goes with it, this is the game.
Also when you like MOBA but like the twitch reflex skills, this is perfect. Quick thinking is required though to pull off some of the better combo's with your teammates.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016
worthy of noting to all free players, your first 10 matches (win or lose, no matter) get you a token with which you can buy any one freelancer.

here's my RAF referral code, use it for 7 days of unlimited access to try out as many lancers you like and decide which one you want to spend your token on:

FAVOURS FOR FAVOURS

e: beaten to it but still

ee: I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the game, lancers, tactics etc. - ranked Diamond IV in season one so I guess I have at least a little bit of cred :P

inflatable fish fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 18, 2017

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
For the free to play people where getting a free lancer is important :
Not all lancers cost the same. They vary from 10.000 flux (for Lockwood) to a maximum of I believe 75000 flux.

So be sure not to pick a cheapo one for free!

Concerning the new Lancer, what are your thoughts on her? My impression is that het kit is incredibly versatile and that her cooldowns are really really low.
The Cover shield mechanic seems very strong, it's not quite like healing or shielding but pretty good stuf I would say.
Her dash + AE weakness also seems very strong to me. And the Captain America shield is bonkers.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016
lancer pricing depends on how long ago they were released. so the latest one will be 75k and the originals are all (I think?) on the cheap side.

doing the chapter 1 missions plus what you get from matches and season levels should be enough flux for 2-3 lancers, which is a decent start. keep in mind that when ranked play hits on Jan 31, you'll need to have at least 10 lancers between your perma unlocks and weekly rotation to participate.

as for Brynn, her kit is p. good though her primary has a kinda awkward targeting template. boomerang shield is osom, and she's the only lancer in game with two knockbacks. her mod options are decent enough though I'm not really a fan of the synergy mods. she fills a nice niche between Titus and Rampart's playstyles.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

What does being fully f2p now mean for people (me) who bought the Freelancer Edition?

Edit: 50,000 funbux. Is that a lot?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 18, 2017

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Deviant posted:

What does being fully f2p now mean for people (me) who bought the Freelancer Edition?

Edit: 50,000 funbux. Is that a lot?

if you bought the game, you'll continue to have access to all current and future freelancers, and since you mention 50k flux, it means you got the thank-you package with a decent amount of in-game swag. 50k flux is enough to buy two master skins (keep in mind they still require freelancer level 20 to equip), which otherwise cost 10k ISO a pop.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

inflatable fish posted:

if you bought the game, you'll continue to have access to all current and future freelancers, and since you mention 50k flux, it means you got the thank-you package with a decent amount of in-game swag. 50k flux is enough to buy two master skins (keep in mind they still require freelancer level 20 to equip), which otherwise cost 10k ISO a pop.

That explains the 5x winter and 5x halloween boxes, maybe? Not sure if there's any other swag.

Edit: Yep.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 18, 2017

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I did not check this yesterday. As a F2P player, do you still get mod tokens to unlock mods for "free"?
All I remember seeing was a 500flux to buy one mod token price.

I had over 50 mods unlocked, hope I still get to use them anyway.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Evernoob posted:

I did not check this yesterday. As a F2P player, do you still get mod tokens to unlock mods for "free"?
All I remember seeing was a 500flux to buy one mod token price.

I had over 50 mods unlocked, hope I still get to use them anyway.

you can easily check if you have any mods unlocked via your collections menu.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Brynn feels to me like a powerful frontliner for coordinated play with her knockback and cc. I've enjoyed her in pug's, but they don't really take advantage of the possible combos. Will be interesting to see if the esports teams use her ultimate paired with helio-blackburn, heck, even juno.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Orion's valentine's day skin is pretty rad:

Celeste, Titus, Quark, and Grey will also have skins

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

Orion's valentine's day skin is pretty rad:

Celeste, Titus, Quark, and Grey will also have skins

That is pretty....pretty.
I just unlocked those Chroma Razer skins, better than nothing.

The daily quest change from XP to Flux sure slows down the leveling somewhat, but I guess flux is more important anyway.
I noticed as I'm still leveling all my unlocked lancers to 5 as soon as I can.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Got back into Atlas Reactor and have been streaming it as of late. The new characters and map are great adds. I'm definitely for the f2p as it adds more potential people. Hoping they continue the steady stream of characters and maps in the future. Haven't tried ranked yet. Mod tokens seem a bit slower to obtain then in beta. I'd have to say Nix is by far the most seen character. Everyone wants to be a Wookiee.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah Nyx skins have been great, and the livestream previewed a borderlands style one that looked awesome. They also had 3 new freelancers in development and showed off the valentines skins and other skins that accompany the seasons. They are trying to be more themed across the board with skin releases. They said something about a new game mode for the Tuesday patch as well, so the content seems to be coming fast, really hope the f2p model works out, definitely seem to be faster queues.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah Nyx skins have been great, and the livestream previewed a borderlands style one that looked awesome. They also had 3 new freelancers in development and showed off the valentines skins and other skins that accompany the seasons. They are trying to be more themed across the board with skin releases. They said something about a new game mode for the Tuesday patch as well, so the content seems to be coming fast, really hope the f2p model works out, definitely seem to be faster queues.

Nice, didn't know about the new game mode. More freelancers, the better.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Yup, love the game, love the style. Surprised that it took me so long to pick this up since it's the game I've been asking for for over a decade.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
just FYI : I mistakenly used my FREE UNLOCK on a lancer I just wanted to buy with flux (PuP) as he's cheap.

I submitted a ticket and two days later I got a reply that they removed PuP from my collection and the Free Unlock is available again. (this as a one time courtesy).

Sweet. +1 to customer support.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Patch Notes! Valentines event is here, new game mode, some proper nerfs to kaigen and quark.

quote:

Mad Love is upon us!
Emotions are running high in Atlas this morning – literally – as EvoS’ latest “solution” has increased hormonal activity in nearly all individuals who’ve ever used a catalyst. Studies show that number includes every living Atlas citizen, and possibly some deceased as well.
Season 2, Chapter 2 is open!
Check out all-new challenges and missions.
New skins are available for Titus, Celeste, Quark, Orion, and Grey. Earn them through special Mad Love Loot Matrices.
They will be available for ISO during the last week of the event
Keep your eye out for viral banners being spread by Trion Creators!
Earn a Heartbreak Overcon just for logging in during the event!

Ranked Season 2 begins!
The format for the tiers has changed for Season 2.
Placement matches have been removed, so all players will start in Bronze and rise up the ranks.
MMR from Season 1 has only been soft-reset however, and higher tier players will be able to rise through the ranks more quickly.
Players have been granted their Season 1 participation emblems.

New Game Mode: Clone Combat
Ever wondered what chaos would ensue if a team had 4 of the exact same freelancer? Clone Combat is here to put the speculation to rest!
Enjoy crazy combat in this fun mode, available only in Chapter 2.
100% Guaranteed to put all balance arguments to rest. (Guarantee may not be guaranteed)
The previous, All Random, game mode has rotated out.

General
When using manual cam, camera should no longer center on taunter automatically after taunt.
Fixed a bug where in rare occasions a freelancer conflict could end up with two players on the same team with the same freelancer.
Improved how movement resolution resolves chases, particularly in the case where other freelancers are lined up along the shortest available chase path.
Fixed an issue with auto-complete on some slash commands.
Fixed an issue that could cause garbled characters to show in the chat window.

Gameplay
Brynn
Our data showed Brynn to be not quite as angelic as intended. Her pride on the line, she’s decided to improve some of her basics.
Impale range increased by 0.5. The width decreases slightly more rapidly when increasing the length of the targeter. She can hit enemies that are further away but has a more stark difference in width when changing the length of the targeter.
Flight of the Valkyrie damage has been increased from 20 to 24.

Kaigin
Kaigin was the most in need of an adjustment based on our data. In the hands of a skilled player, he was a force to be reckoned with. Luckily, the Freelancers are catching on to his tricks, and his effectiveness is slightly lower as a result.
Base health decreased from 135 to 125.
Razor Tempest mod "Void Empowered" damage lowered from 28 to 25.
Shadowstalker mod "Preparation" grants energized instead of might.

Quark
Quark has felt strong, and the data suggest that a slight adjustment is in order.
Atomic Bond mod "Sharing is Caring" additional self healing lowered from 5 to 3.

Dr. Finn
Under the Sea, darling it’s better, down where it’s wetter, take it from me.
Bubble Trouble shielding increased from 40 to 45.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
I did wonder why there seemed to be a Kaigin in every game, regardless of the players ability to use him.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Nickiepoo posted:

I did wonder why there seemed to be a Kaigin in every game, regardless of the players ability to use him.

same reason you see a Genji in every single Overwatch game.

(weeaboo edgelords)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Well he's quite strong with his two dashes that both deal damage.
He has a strong ranged attack with a super low cooldown so him being a "mellee" is barely true.

Stealth as icing on the cake and the void mark mechanic just being a total bonus.

Very strong kit + ninjah makes him quite popular.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

He's certainly made playing Titus more fun.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yo, this game is kinda rad.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Bogart posted:

Yo, this game is kinda rad.

Why yes, yes it is.

I got the Princess Bride skin for the Conan guy and now I don't think I'm able to play anyone else.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Nickiepoo posted:

I got the Princess Bride skin for the Conan guy and now I don't think I'm able to play anyone else.

Titus owns, so that's not a problem.

The new freelancer they debuted on Friday's stream is an archery support with bending arrows, looks pretty neat, and she has a sweet spec ops style skin. For the heal, you put it on an enemy and your dudes get healed if they hit that guy, so I expect her to be powerful in coordinated play but iffy in pug's.

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 13, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My favorites so far are shotgun lady and artillery goblins. At least at my level, the shotgun seems like it can just poo poo out damage on teams that don't know not to group.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

These are all really weird ways to talk about the best character, PuP.

Turn 1 setup, Turn 2 chomp the opposing cover and run backwards.

*BARK BARK*, which is of course PuP speak for "LOOK, TEAM! I BROUGHT YOU A HEALER TO CHEW ON."

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Bogart posted:

My favorites so far are shotgun lady and artillery goblins. At least at my level, the shotgun seems like it can just poo poo out damage on teams that don't know not to group.

Shotgun lady owns and is easily my top-damaging character after I fiddled her mods. Also that Mad Max skin <3

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Eltoasto posted:

Titus owns, so that's not a problem.

The new freelancer they debuted on Friday's stream is an archery support with bending arrows, looks pretty neat, and she has a sweet spec ops style skin. For the heal, you put it on an enemy and your dudes get healed if they hit that guy, so I expect her to be powerful in coordinated play but iffy in pug's.

that spec ops skin is the reason Khita will dethrone Zuki as my no. 1 main

(and waifu)

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Deviant posted:

These are all really weird ways to talk about the best character, PuP.

Turn 1 setup, Turn 2 chomp the opposing cover and run backwards.

*BARK BARK*, which is of course PuP speak for "LOOK, TEAM! I BROUGHT YOU A HEALER TO CHEW ON."

They tweeted out stats and, while PuP doesn't get a lot of competitive side love, he has the highest win rate of high ranked players. I love grav bombing an invisible pup when I am helio.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Tuesday's update looks nice:

quote:

Chapter 3 – Waste Not, Want Not

Chapter 3 starts February 21st!

Season 2 – Chapter 3
In Chapter 3 we’re introduced to the Waste. The area outside of Atlas are no longer under the influence of life-sustaining Reactors. Living out there is harsh, and people from these areas have become accustomed to these hardships. We’ll be joined by a new Freelancer – a child of the Waste – once mentored by Titus. And now that Khita’s here, everyone’s got a target on their back.

Khita, The Shooting Star

Khita is a nimble archer with specialized arrows that can heal and shield allies. On offense, her Warped Arrow allows her to curve her shots around obstacles, ensuring you always have a shot. As a support you’ll have to balance keeping your team alive with staying alive yourself. Find your ideal loadout for every situation!
Apocalypse Skins

Dress for the apocalypse with new skins for Blackburn, Elle, Juno, Nix, and Rampart. Completing the Chapter Challenge for the first time will net you an Apocalypse Loot Matrix that contains one of the 11 new skins or bonus items! The Apocalypse Loot Matrices are non-dupe, so you’ll never get the same item twice! After the chapter, all of these items will be available to unlock via ISO, and will even be put into the general Loot Matrix that you earn just by playing!

Helio Corps Skins
Helio Corps is celebrating their newfound Trust status with HC skins for every Freelancer! During chapter 3 and 4 your daily missions will be replaced with HC daily missions that will net you HC skins.

Helio is picky about the material and patterns, so HC skins will be released in waves.

New Game Mode: Overpowered-Up

Get Overpowered-Up in a new game mode where energy gains are off the charts and all damage and healing is increased by 50%. Power-ups pads will generate power-ups more frequently and have a chance to spawn any power-up. In OPU you’ll be aiming to take out 7 opponents instead of the 5 in Team Deathmatch.
GG Boost Rework

We’ve always wanted more out of the GG Boosts. They are a great way to reward everyone in a match for solid plays and respectful banter. These changes are meant to provide a few more of those friendly nods to create a positive experience.

GG Boosts still provide the same bonus: +30% for you, +10% for everyone else.
You can now activate up to 3 GG Boosts each match!
The price has been lowered substantially.
Be friendly. Be positive. Be generous!

– The Atlas Reactor Team

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Teasers for the Apocalypse line of skins. That blackburn looks awesome

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xKLor

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Started playin Atlas Reactor last week and I've just bought the all-freelancer pack to support the Devs: I think it's a wonderful arena game, it's like an advanced version of chess with cool graphics and gameplay mechanics.
Dunno why this game seems to have a small player base, I really hope it won't die soon. :ohdearsass:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

The player base definitely jumped after it changed the f2p model and kind of relaunched. Love the game still, i play 3-4 matches a day. My concern is them making money since they have promised pack buyers to always get every new freelancer forever, and I don't know how many people are putting in money to get skins because the game is pretty friendly with earning iso from packs. I just hope they can find a way to tighten the screws or do something new to make some money, without going back on promises or getting backlash. It's a really good community and most feel the way you and I do, but we don't know what the financials are behind the scenes.

I guess our indication of the financials being back would be layoffs or slowdown in content, but we sure haven't got that, content is coming faster than ever.

Orv
May 4, 2011
AR isn't exactly a mass market appeal kind of game sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
That and you only get 1 launch on steam nowadays and they blew it on $30 "Free-to-Play"

Real shame since the game itself is pretty good

• Locked thread